• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Maximum Tree Diameter

farmlegend

I tried out my Aero Hunter Evolution from ground level on the smallest tree in my yard. The tree is 18" diameter at the point where I'm attaching; not an unusually large diameter for the trees I've hunted from with my Treesaddle.

It BARELY made it around the circumference of the tree. And that's with wrapping the safety strap only once around the tree, not twice.

Do I need to replace my safety strap with a longer piece of rope? Or am I doing something wrong?

I found the same thing farmlegend. I had to take a hiatus from testing my evolution due to work and my trip out of the county, but as soon as I get around to it I am going to do a write-up. It looks like I am going to be using a custom strap I made similar to the one that came with the tree saddle. The tree saddle strap is 12 foot long and I believe the rope for the evolution is only 7 foot long. I set up a tree that was my average size tree and the rope from the blakes hitch didn't fit through the loop.

farmlegend said:
I tried out my Aero Hunter Evolution from ground level on the smallest tree in my yard. The tree is 18" diameter at the point where I'm attaching; not an unusually large diameter for the trees I've hunted from with my Treesaddle.

It BARELY made it around the circumference of the tree. And that's with wrapping the safety strap only once around the tree, not twice.

Do I need to replace my safety strap with a longer piece of rope? Or am I doing something wrong?

Here is how I use the strap, this is a older video I did when I used the rope system with the TL. I have never had any issues with any tree being to big. Take a look and let me know what you think.

[youtube]UUfsJLpIu20dPzWfb7JWO9gQ[/youtube]

Ok, that didn't work. Click here http://youtu.be/DzaLK_u7qH8?list=UUfsJL ... Wfb7JWO9gQ
Thanks,
Boswell

Boswell,

In your video you are only wrapping the rope around the tree once and then tying it off. The New Tribe instructions say (as did the tree saddle instructions with their strap) "Catch the loop and throw it around the trunk a second time." This is what the picture next to it shows as well. I know that the tree saddle instructions said to do this to keep the strap from sliding down. I do this with my strap if I don't have a step screwed in to the tree to keep the strap from sliding down.

The full length of the New Tribe rope strap is 7 foot including the carabiner and the loops. Circumference = pi*diameter, so to wrap it around the tree twice, 7/2 = pi* diameter. That means the maximum diameter to wrap it around twice is theoretically 1.11 foot (but it is actually under a foot because you need the carabiner on the blakes hitch to hang out the loop). If New Tribe is going to recommend wrapping the strap around the tree twice they should probably increase the length of the rope. I believe the active length on the old tree saddle strap was 12 foot.

Let me know if you need anything else or need me to clarify something.

Thanks!

Scott

This I missed when I looked over the user manual before it came out. I am working with Newtribe to see if the method above would be an approved method. Hang in there.....

Thanks,
Boswell

Mr. Boswell has done a phenomenal job with his video's in explaining how to use saddle and Aero harness systems and I would bet he does things with his harness systems when he hunts that he doesn't show on YouTube due to potential liability issues. Hands down, Mr. Boswell does the best job in a video of explaining how to use harness systems.

The question of how to hunt larger diameter trees is relatively basic. Buy a longer rope of the exact same diameter and swap it out. True, it will void the warranty and liability, but it is only one of two ways I know of to hunt larger diameter trees and I've played with and made many alterations to these things since 1981.

I have my system altered to the point I could hunt a flat wall if I could climb it. Tree diameters mean nothing, if I can climb it, I can hunt it.

When you run into a problem, sit down and think about a solution, and find a safe remedy to the problem. We would all still be driving model A's if everyone had been perfectly satisfied with their performance. To me, problem solving with harness systems to make them more comfortable and versatile has been a challenge over the years but has also been very gratifying as long as the end solution to the problem and product remained safe.

Alterations do void warranties and liability, however the limitations built into harness systems are just that, they are safety limitations that allow a company to insure the product for liability purposes.

John, I completely agree with you on all of your points. Boswell has done some great videos and I am thrilled that he is a member of this site and helping to contribute to its content.

Liability is definitely an issue (I have made this site an LLC for that reason). Our style of hunting demands innovation and trying things out and it is always up to the end user to ensure that their system is safe to use.

I have also altered my system. I am using a webbing strap very similar to the tree saddle tree strap. The webbing I am using is a bit thinner and packs up much lighter and smaller than the tree saddle strap did.

The main point was to make New Tribe aware that when following the included instructions the end user is limited to tree's less than 1 foot in diameter which will take away from the versatility of the saddle. I know that New Tribe is a new company in the hunting industry and they are open to suggestions from the hunters using their product. They seem like a great company and stand by their product. This is a simple problem that they can correct by lengthening their tree strap rope. It is an extra $100 ($400 total) for the evolution system that includes the tree strap and lineman's belt. For that price most people are going to want something that already works and is versatile rather than having to make one themselves.

I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE ROPE NOT GOING AROUND THE TREE 2 TIMES. SEEMS TO ME THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN FOR $400 ? ANOTHER PROBLEM IS I LIKE TO ADD OR TAKE OFF CLOTHING WHILE IN THE TREE. IS THAT GOING TO BE A PROBLEM ALSO ?(RAIN PANTS). I DO HAVE TO COMPLIMENT THE QUALITY OF THIS SADDLE....IT IS BUILT LIKE A TANK !

bowhunterchuck said:
I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE ROPE NOT GOING AROUND THE TREE 2 TIMES. SEEMS TO ME THAT THIS IS A PROBLEM THAT SHOULD NOT HAPPEN FOR $400 ? ANOTHER PROBLEM IS I LIKE TO ADD OR TAKE OFF CLOTHING WHILE IN THE TREE. IS THAT GOING TO BE A PROBLEM ALSO ?(RAIN PANTS). I DO HAVE TO COMPLIMENT THE QUALITY OF THIS SADDLE....IT IS BUILT LIKE A TANK !

As far as adding and removing clothing in the tree, I always have my lower body layer set before I am in the tree. I can add and remove shirts or jackets while I am in the tree (you may need to practice this at ground level to do safely, I usually attach my linemans belt for support while doing this). If I think rain is going to be a problem I dress for rain at the bottom of the tree or at least put my rain pants on and put the jacket on in the tree as needed. Hope that helped!

redsquirrel said:
This is a simple problem that they can correct by lengthening their tree strap rope. It is an extra $100 ($400 total) for the evolution system that includes the tree strap and lineman's belt. For that price most people are going to want something that already works and is versatile rather than having to make one themselves.

Bingo. To me, this is a no-brainer, and I'm mildly surprised that the strap rope is as short as it is. It's bizarro that folks should have to spend the time and money on modifications of a brand new saddle product in order to be able to hunt an 18" tree because the manufacturer skimped on providing a few extra feet of rope. If I were a prospective customer, it would likely turn me off and be a factor in my purchase decision. I would imagine that New Tribe will remedy this one.

I had planned on putting my treesaddle on the shelf this year, but it looks like I will continue to use it, since some of my key setups are on larger diameter trees.

farmlegend said:
Bingo. To me, this is a no-brainer, and I'm mildly surprised that the strap rope is as short as it is. It's bizarro that folks should have to come up with an extra c-note on top of a $400 saddle product in order to be able to hunt an 18" tree because the manufacturer skimped on providing a few extra feet of rope. If I were a prospective customer, it would likely turn me off and be a factor in my purchase decision. I would imagine that New Tribe will remedy this one.

I had planned on putting my treesaddle on the shelf this year, but it looks like I will continue to use it, since some of my key setups are on larger diameter trees.

I agree that I think New Tribe will fix this. It is a minor thing and I think it just reflects that they are new to the hunting industry.

If you like your aero hunter you don't have to use the rope strap they gave with it. You can just use your tree saddle strap instead. I will be doing something similar to this anyway.

IT SOUNDS LIKE MAYBE I SHOULD HAVE BOUGHT THE TROPHYLINE SADDLE ? THE AERO HUNTER IS EVERYTHING I EXPECTED EXCEPT COMFORTABLE. MAYBE THE TROPHYLINE SADDLE WILL BE UNCOMFORTABLE TOO ? I AM HAVING PROBLEMS WITH ALL THE PINCH POINTS AROUND THE HIPS AND CROTCH. I KNOW I COULD LOSE A FEW POUNDS BUT THE ONLY WAY TO BE ABLE TO SIT IN THIS ALL DAY IS TO WEAR IT ALMOST UP TO MY CHEST. I HAVE LOOKED AT ALL THE VIDEOS FROM BOSWELL AND THEY ARE GREAT. ANY SUGGESTIONS BEFORE I RETURN THIS THING ? IS IT LIKE WEARING A NEW PAIR OF BOOTS....THEY DO GET COMFORTABLE WITH TIME? I REALLY WANT THIS AERO HUNTER TO WORK. IT IS BY FAR THE SAFEST I HAVE FELT 40 FEET UP ! THE TREE SUIT I CURRENTLY OWN HAS A HARD SEAT SO THERE ARE NO PINCH POINTS AND I DON'T NEED KNEE PADS. I JUST DO NOT FEEL SAFE USING IT. ADVICE...HELP....ANYTHING...?

For starters the length of the tree strap will most likely get worked out, so at a minimum you may just have to create your own tree strap.

As far as comfort I would take the aero hunter instructions and hang from a tree at ground level for an hour and keep making adjustments. This is what I did and I think my aero hunter is at least as comfortable as my tree saddle right now. I have not hung in it for anymore than an hour at a time so far, but even tonight I was testing it out in a tree and it seemed pretty comfortable. There are so many adjustments on the aero hunter that I think it really takes some time to get them optimized for each individual. I put most of my support onto the butt strap, almost nothing on the leg straps, and a small amount on the back strap. I loosen up the backstrap buckle in the front once I am settled in because it puts too much pressure on my stomach. Tonight I tried using the smaller buckle strap tighter and that seemed to add some more support. I don't think the saddle is really going to break in like a pair of boots but I think it may take a little time for you to get the adjustments settled and comfortable with it.

Hopefully Boswell or Joe can chime in and help you out because they have the most experience with this saddle.

Bowhunterchuck
You need to give it a good run. Your body adjusts to it as well. For years I've had problems with sciatica if I sit on a regular stand. Not with the saddle so its helped me out in that sense. But you have to get the feel for it. Go slow maybe 2-3 hours on an evening hunt and start out in a straight tree. When you start hunting out of trees with weird angles where you have to maintain a critical contact point it will test you. You have to build up to it. Had my first hunt last night and had a tree that angled away from me and if I shifted to the left or right I was going for a ride and I could only shoot out of my right side, but that’s also the beauty of it b/c you are no longer hunting trees. You find these hides that weren't possible with conventional equipment. There is some leg pinch and stuff but you have to work through it with slight adjustments. You shift your weight from knees to legs every once in a while and when you get pinned down by a mess of eyes it may require some stamina if caught in an off position. I haven't upgraded to the evolution so I'm using the original version and did all last season and I put a couple hundred hours in. If you want to explore this style than you have to get used to new things but it will serve you better in the long run if you stick it out. Good luck and keep at it. If you don't have a chance to experience the benefits it’s going to be hard to convince you otherwise.

redsquirrel said:
For starters the length of the tree strap will most likely get worked out, so at a minimum you may just have to create your own tree strap.

It really does need to get worked out; I didn't plunk down $400 with the idea that I'd have to create my own tree strap to hunt out of the product this season. Having tested out the product from ground level on trees in my yard, I can see the Aero Hunter Evolution being problematic once the tree size gets somewhere in the 15-16" diameter range. Off the top of my head, I've got a good half dozen or more trees set up and ready to go (and really good setups I might add ;) )that would present a problem for my AHE. At this late date, I'm not about to complicate my life, and will likely hunt the duration of 2014 with my Treesaddle Ambush saddle model, and defer using the AHE until they either provide a fix for this deficiency or I get the time and ambition to build out a new tree strap.

I am a bit disappointed that the Aero Hunter Evolution cannot handle larger diameter trees (without owner modification) and would not have purchased one at this time had I known of this limitation.

I would mention that the Treesaddle which I purchased in 2004 came with a 10' long tree strap; shortly thereafter, they replaced it with a 12' long tree strap, and provided the 12' strap for free to customers that had the product with the 10' strap and inquired about it.

farmlegend said:
I would mention that the Treesaddle which I purchased in 2004 came with a 10' long tree strap; shortly thereafter, they replaced it with a 12' long tree strap, and provided the 12' strap for free to customers that had the product with the 10' strap and inquired about it.

I spoke to Casey at New Tribe this afternoon to make sure he was aware of the situation. He said he was and they had just had a discussion about it this morning. I gave him my input and suggested a 12 foot strap. farmlegend, I also relayed to him what you said about trophyline moving from a 10" to a 12" strap and I figured there must have been a reason they did that.

Bigburner said:
Bowhunterchuck
You need to give it a good run. Your body adjusts to it as well. For years I've had problems with sciatica if I sit on a regular stand. Not with the saddle so its helped me out in that sense. But you have to get the feel for it. Go slow maybe 2-3 hours on an evening hunt and start out in a straight tree. When you start hunting out of trees with weird angles where you have to maintain a critical contact point it will test you. You have to build up to it. Had my first hunt last night and had a tree that angled away from me and if I shifted to the left or right I was going for a ride and I could only shoot out of my right side, but that’s also the beauty of it b/c you are no longer hunting trees. You find these hides that weren't possible with conventional equipment. There is some leg pinch and stuff but you have to work through it with slight adjustments. You shift your weight from knees to legs every once in a while and when you get pinned down by a mess of eyes it may require some stamina if caught in an off position. I haven't upgraded to the evolution so I'm using the original version and did all last season and I put a couple hundred hours in. If you want to explore this style than you have to get used to new things but it will serve you better in the long run if you stick it out. Good luck and keep at it. If you don't have a chance to experience the benefits it’s going to be hard to convince you otherwise.

This was all great advice as well :cool: I have sciatica and back problems and could never hunt as much in a regular stand like I do in my saddle.

Hi guys--Here's New Tribe's word on tree strap length:

The cut length of the tree rope is 10 ft, but the functional length with the knots tied is six feet. We were shooting for the shortest strap that would get the job done, and still keep weight and bulk down, and keep unused rope length from dangling below you or bunched up in your way.

We tell you to wrap the tree strap twice to snub the rope on the trunk so it can't slip. Doing this with the original length tree strap, your max size tree would be 12 inches diameter. This is perfect for some users, but it's no good if your tree choice is larger than this. Either you need a longer rope, or you can wrap once and prevent slippage by using one of these tricks:

1. Lock the rope by wrapping the carabiner end through the eye twice.
2. Put a peg or climbing stick in the tree to block it.
3. Place it above a branch that will block it.

Note: If you wrap only once and don't use a trick to keep it in position, the tree strap will not fail or let you fall. But it can slack and slip down a bit when it is not loaded with your weight. This creates noise and movement. And when you put your weight back onto the rope, you could drop into the slack. You won't hit the ground, but there is a chance of injury if this happens.

We are now offering Aero Evolution online with a choice of rope length, for a small upgrade charge for the longer piece. For those who already purchased Aero and would like a longer rope, give us a call at 541-476-9492, or 866-223-3371 and ask for Barbara. We can supply a 16 ft cut of rope, with knots tied, that has a functional length of 12 ft. The cost with shipping is $15. We'll include instructions for tying your black Blake's hitch cord onto the new rope.

With your help, we're making Aero the best. Thanks, and here's wishing you safety and success in your hunts.

Sophia
Owner, New Tribe, Inc.

Gibbon said:
We are now offering Aero Evolution online with a choice of rope length, for a small upgrade charge for the longer piece. For those who already purchased Aero and would like a longer rope, give us a call at 541-476-9492, or 866-223-3371 and ask for Barbara. We can supply a 16 ft cut of rope, with knots tied, that has a functional length of 12 ft. The cost with shipping is $15. We'll include instructions for tying your black Blake's hitch cord onto the new rope.

With your help, we're making Aero the best. Thanks, and here's wishing you safety and success in your hunts.

Sophia
Owner, New Tribe, Inc.

SOLD! If I can get a moment between meetings tomorrow, I'll be calling.

Big thumbs up to New Tribe.

Back