• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mechanical Advantage Concepts for Climbers

I was checking out some other climbing videos and this one popped up. Do you know Jen Carroll? Since I hadn’t seen this one yet, I watched it and was kinda surprised with some of it. Some made common sense, but mostly it was a simple explanation of the subject at hand. Another one well put together with no a wasted time! Quite frankly, I hate watching a video and thinking can we get to the point already? Or please show that move close up! BTW-I love watching your videos! Some of the best educational videos on climbing I’ve seen. Not to sound like I’m gushing, but you’ve taught me more of what I use than any other place online…..and I don’t even use your system lol. Please keep them coming!

It's called Hysteresis. Hysteresis is the unrecoverable loss of energy in a system. Hysteresis is measured in compound bow testing to determine the efficiency of the bow. The higher the efficiency, the higher the speed.
Interesting! I am familiar with hysteresis, but not with that definition. The definition of Hysteresis i am familiar with always involves a non linear time component. Whereby the history of a system has a non linear effect on it's behavior. Pulley systems should be fairly consistent in their performance over time. Definitely complex to model though. If you have a reference to that usage or definition, pls share. I would definitely add it to my dictionary if we're sure about the definition. I did a very quick search on hysteresis in Pulley systems and didn't find anything obvious. Thanks!

JrbTreeClimbing.com, affiliated with RockNArbor.com

I was checking out some other climbing videos and this one popped up. Do you know Jen Carroll? Since I hadn’t seen this one yet, I watched it and was kinda surprised with some of it. Some made common sense, but mostly it was a simple explanation of the subject at hand. Another one well put together with no a wasted time! Quite frankly, I hate watching a video and thinking can we get to the point already? Or please show that move close up! BTW-I love watching your videos! Some of the best educational videos on climbing I’ve seen. Not to sound like I’m gushing, but you’ve taught me more of what I use than any other place online…..and I don’t even use your system lol. Please keep them coming!
Appreciate that. I don't know Jen. I Googled and found the chef... is that who ya meant?

It's called Hysteresis. Hysteresis is the unrecoverable loss of energy in a system. Hysteresis is measured in compound bow testing to determine the efficiency of the bow. The higher the efficiency, the higher the speed.
Unlike Hysterics which is the unrecoverable loss of all your possessions from an ex wife?

Interesting! I am familiar with hysteresis, but not with that definition. The definition of Hysteresis i am familiar with always involves a non linear time component. Whereby the history of a system has a non linear effect on it's behavior. Pulley systems should be fairly consistent in their performance over time. Definitely complex to model though. If you have a reference to that usage or definition, pls share. I would definitely add it to my dictionary if we're sure about the definition. I did a very quick search on hysteresis in Pulley systems and didn't find anything obvious. Thanks!

Physics of Bow Efficiency: Hysteresis​

Hysteresis is a term in physics and engineering which refers to the unrecoverable loss of energy in a system. This energy may escape a mechanism such as a bow through heat, resistance with the air, internal friction, recoil, etc. Substracting these losses from the measurement of stored energy as done in a force-draw calculation/diagram, we can get a better idea of the efficiency of a bow.

(It may not be the most accurate definition of the word Hysteresis, but it is a good definition to help to understand where the loss of energy comes from.)

I remember years ago, reading all the Bowhunting world magazine bow reports by Norb Mullaney and he would always test the hysteresis of a bow and calculate the bow's efficiency.

Hysteresis is a term in physics and engineering which refers to the unrecoverable loss of energy in a system. This energy may escape a mechanism such as a bow through heat, resistance with the air, internal friction, recoil, etc. Substracting these losses from the measurement of stored energy as done in a force-draw calculation/diagram, we can get a better idea of the efficiency of a bow.

(It may not be the most accurate definition of the word Hysteresis, but it is a good definition to help to understand where the loss of energy comes from.)

I remember years ago, reading all the Bowhunting world magazine bow reports by Norb Mullaney and he would always test the hysteresis of a bow and calculate the bow's efficiency.
I miss those reports by Norm! He also, I thought, compared dynamic vs static hysteresis. Interestingly enough, a bow was always more efficient with a heavier arrow.

I miss those reports by Norm! He also, I thought, compared dynamic vs static hysteresis. Interestingly enough, a bow was always more efficient with a heavier arrow.
Thats true. However, the measuring equipment Norm used isn't nearly as sensitive (or accurate) as what exists today.

Slight variances (even 1fps of velocity) can impact results and end up with a different conclusion. There is really no published archery related testing being conducted in modern times I'm aware of. Manufacturers are tight lipped, but do have industrial measuring equipment in house. That I know for sure.

That's a great article. Really appreciate your inputs! I also did some more research. In the context he is using the term, i believe the correct term would be "elastic hysteresis". No big deal... he probably knew that and just shortened it. Back on the video, i believe the mechanics are ok to generically refer to as "loss". I didn't really do any research before making the video... i should have in retrospect. I just found a reputable article on the topic if of interest to anyone. And i will say that the presence of a friction hitch in the system and what it is and the amount of setback we can tolerate are big contributing factors to the actual mechanical advantage.

Back