• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Merino/Lanolin Magic???

joesoup

Team No Stank,

I love my merino wool gear, but most of it's too hot to wear in the GA heat. It does work great at keeping me from smelling like a sow though when I do sweat while wearing it.

I've read that it's the lanolin naturally found in the sheeps wools that cause it be antimicrobial. So my thought is what if I took some of my ultra light tech type gear and smathered it with a smearing of good ole 100% lanolin to try to reproduce the same effect.

Has anyone else ever experimented with lanolin? Am I nuts?

Why can't you wear lightweight merino in GA? I wear it all the time, in all seasons in NC. I've got lightweight t-shirts for summer that I backpack in all the time. Works just as well as polypro (maybe bettter) at evap cooling. I've worn first lite obsidian pants most of the aug scouting and sept hunting this year. Not idea, but neither are any pants in aug. I don't have any lightweight camo long sleeve merino shirts, but I don't see how it would be any different from wearing polypro tops.

Back when I subscribed to scent control, I tried the bee smoker - smoke your clothes route.

Downside, it did not make me invisible to deers noses, upside, it kept the stank/funk off my hunting clothes for way longer than anything else. I’d just hang them by a room fan to dry out and then wear again. It was unreal for me to go that long without the stank/funk.

You should look into some light weight silver base layers. I'm not an expert on how they are made, but silver has antimicrobial properties. I wore some on a 10 day elk trip. At the end of the day I would take them off and be surprised I/they didn't stink like crazy (to my nose). About a half hour after taking them off, the BO started kicking in. I was pretty convinced by their ability to minimize bacterial growth on the body.

Why can't you wear lightweight merino in GA? I wear it all the time, in all seasons in NC. I've got lightweight t-shirts for summer that I backpack in all the time. Works just as well as polypro (maybe bettter) at evap cooling. I've worn first lite obsidian pants most of the aug scouting and sept hunting this year. Not idea, but neither are any pants in aug. I don't have any lightweight camo long sleeve merino shirts, but I don't see how it would be any different from wearing polypro tops.
Same here. I’m east of Raleigh and it’s HAWT in June-October. I wear FL aerowool long sleeve shirts and obsidian pants (I like the long stuff so I can soak them in permethrin for the ticks and skeeties) and even wear a light neck gaiter and cap early season. I’m usually soaked by the time I get climbed up but dry out pretty quickly and stay cool.

I despise the synthetic stuff like Under Armour. Yeah it may dry fast but it doesn’t breathe and stinks.

Do they make lanolin based lotion that is scent free and you can put it on after the shower? Might slip down the stairs though.

You can buy pure lanolin. I use it mixed with isopropyl alcohol as a sizing lube for reloading.

Wool is great because it really doesn’t hold a lot of smell. But it doesn’t contain the odors your body is actively making. No matter how much you soak your gear in lanolin it’s not gonna stop a deer from smelling you. I love and wear a lot of wool, but I wouldn’t depend on it for scent control.

I love merino wool, but this time of year if I sweat really bad, it just doesn’t get dry for a long time. Synthetic dries faster but stinks. Still looking for the magic bullet.
I tried the bee smoker, too. I think it did help, but it’s a little bit of work that I’m sometimes too lazy to do.

Back