• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan Bow Hunting - Older Guy - Cruzer XC/Archon or JX3 Hybrid

Which Saddle

• Total voters

Spiider

Jul 20, 2023
Howdy. My 18 y/o son started saddle hunting last year and loves it. I'd like to start as well. I'm an old 48 years, 5'11, 215 lbs. and would like to start off as right as possible. I'm NOT looking to hunt full days anymore (maybe 4 hours max at a time), but comfort is VERY important to me. I'm torn between the Cruzer XC/Archon and the JX3 Hybrid. It seems like the Cruzers are lighter of course, and appears to be easier to move around the tree(?). But the JX3 seems really comfortable. Does anyone have any suggestions or input you could throw at me? I've done quite a bit of reading about each of them (and others) but would really appreciate hearing from people who use them. I only hunt private properties and can't have terribly long walks. I'm a new brittle (type 1) diabetic and need to keep my aerobic activity to a minimum (my pancreas was removed) when hunting. The extra weight on the JX3 would be fine with short walking setups. I'm not ready to give up bow hunting and would like to be able to be pickier about where I hunt with more tree selections. I expect to have to tune in whatever setup I get, I'm just hoping to make the most informed decision upfront. Comfort, ease of use, adjustability, and ease of movement seem to be the priorities I have in mind. Many thanks.

Edit: Not sure if many use polls but I figured I'd try it...

parkersdad

Jan 7, 2015
I’ve owned two Cruzr saddles and three JX3 hybrids along with numerous other soft saddles. It is personal choice but the only saddles I still own are the JX3 saddles. They are extremely comfortable, soft saddles hurt my feet and knees. The JX3 is heavier but since it is built on a pack frame it carries extremely well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

parkersdad

Jan 7, 2015
If you get the JX3 make sure you buy the JX3 sticks. You don’t need a platform but the top stick of the JX3 sticks makes maneuvering for a shot a lot easier
d9b2eb9467f760191ecacf6c6ee0aa82.jpg

Spartan

Dec 2, 2021
Best thing you can do is try different saddles/setups. Everyone is different. What is comfortable for someone may not be for someone else. If one person doesn't mind the extra weight and bulk of a JX3, someone else might. Etc...

A good way to try saddles and other gear is to buy lightly used items from reputable members here. You can usually get 20-30% off new retail price if you're smart about it. If you don't like it, you can just sell it yourself for probably the same price you paid or maybe even for more since the season is coming up. Stuff goes for higher in Sep-Nov since people are gearing up the most during that time.

Reactions: Fl Canopy Stalker

GeoFish

SH Member
May 5, 2021
Kentucky
First decision is are you OK with a ring of steps? Trying to take a leak, put on or off a coat was a pain for me. I need a platform, the bigger the better.
How are you going to climb?
These decisions will effect what is best for you.
I am a anti JX3 thing. The JX3 is over 12 lbs, + tether, linesman + ROS. Going with there sticks will kill you on weight unless you only hunt 200 yards from the truck.

parkersdad

Jan 7, 2015
First decision is are you OK with a ring of steps? Trying to take a leak, put on or off a coat was a pain for me. I need a platform, the bigger the better.
How are you going to climb?
These decisions will effect what is best for you.
I am a anti JX3 thing. The JX3 is over 12 lbs, + tether, linesman + ROS. Going with there sticks will kill you on weight unless you only hunt 200 yards from the truck.

Have you tried one? The way it carries is so much nicer than what most people could ever believe. Also, most saddle hunters carry a backpack full of crap. It eventually evens out. I think one of the guys did a test on here and the JX3 only ends up being about 5 pounds more Than what most saddle hunters carry.

Reactions: JC3

JC3

Mar 26, 2019
If you are hunting private, you could establish permanent stand sites with bolts.
That would eliminate the need for sticks, or the excellent JX3 ladder system.
As noted the weight differential is negligible, not only by design, but the short distances you would be walking.
I haven't checked the classified lately, but the JX3 occasionally pops up.
Go to the light. The JX3 light.
Is that how it goes @JC3 ?
You are correct.

GeoFish

SH Member
May 5, 2021
Kentucky
I had a chance to try one at a meet up. Took one look and keep going.
I hunt elevated to make it easier to shoot a deer, not harder.
I am not saying it is not comfortable, some like it some dont, and if you like it great. I could haul up my Lazy Boy into a tree but that would not make it easy to shoot and remain undetected.
You are still going to need some sort of pack to put small stuff, Wolf Pack, Hitchhicker or TX3.
The weight is only one issue. The JX3 plus a ROS is 14 lbs. My .75 is 8lbs 10oz. I will take a nice big platform over a ROS.
And those sticks, look like a Non Typical knock off. I have used the origional ones. They work on TP trees, but don't climb a tree with any knots or lean.

MattMan81

SH Member
Jan 13, 2020
The Mitten
IMO, the JX3 feels some what restrictive. I never hunted with it, but when I tried it, it sat small. The extra straps, and such. But it is comfortable. I preferred a more open feel. Plenty of guys can get it done with the JX3. So it's more of a mental game, than the physical.
What part of Michigan are you in? There was a meet up not to long ago. I bet you could find a few guys close by to try some stuff out if you want.

THill202

Dec 12, 2021
JX3 just feels like too much to deal with using a vertical bow. If you're using a crossbow it may be a better fit. I have no experience with the JX3, for the record. I might be the only guy on here that uses the Archon but I'll continue to advocate for it. Once you get it adjusted, which may take a few sits, it's incredibly comfortable and supportive. My spine is curved and twisted a little bit which has always made treestands uncomfortable for me but I've never had any discomfort in my Archon, even after 8 or 10 hours.

I don't think you can go entirely wrong with any of your options. Just pick the one that sounds right for you, try it, and if you don't like it sell it and try another one. If you don't like that one saddle hunting just may not be for you.

Reactions: Spiider and Plebe

kyler1945

SH Member
Dec 4, 2016
Willis, TX
Buy a JX3 first, used.

My guess is you’ll be happy with the purchase. If not, you’re out 50-75 bucks tops, and you can buy your soft saddle of choice.

Go in the reverse order, and my guess is you’ll be unhappy with the saddle, and spend a lot of time and effort trying to get comfortable. Possibly/probably buying multiple soft saddles, rope arrangements, bridges, etc. to get it right. And may ultimately still end up in a hybrid after all that.

Worst case buying the hybrid first - you’re out 50.00, and you KNOW what comfort max is and should be. Then you’re informed properly when making your decision on what comfort you’ll settle for in a soft saddle.

Best case, you’ll spend a decade shooting critters with your bow from extreme comfort without thinking about it and fiddling.

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
JX3 (Gen2) is actually 13lbs 7oz by itself. I just weighed mine. That's 11lb & 11oz for the unit plus 1lb & 12oz for the ropes.

On it's own, it carries very very comfortably, imo.

After that, it depends upon what you add (climbing sticks/method, outerwear, ROS/platform, essentials pack, etc.). The JX3 manages some added weight reasonably well for me, but milage can really vary here.

This same problem presents with a soft saddle setup. Take an Archeron at an advertised 1lb 11oz. The saddle is 10lbs lighter than the JX3 unit, no doubt. What else do you need? XL platform, 5lbs? Backpack, 3-4lbs? Backband, kneepads, etc.? Doesn't take much and you're even steven.

Frankly, it sounds like you have some limitations to keep in mind, and it may be that the only way you can keep total carry weight in line with them is to hunt presets or to employ ultralight climbing methods which might not be best suited to you.

You may still enjoy benefits of saddle hunting in so doing.

But honestly, if I archery hunted mostly private properties, I would set them up with Millennium M100U treestands. I find it more repeatable to shoot a compound bow from a stand. That's not to say you wouldn't shoot as well or even better from a saddle/JX3, but that's not been an experience I've had.

Reactions: Spiider

jbogg

Nov 26, 2018
JX 3 every day, and twice on Sunday! Seems like most of the criticism of it on this thread is from folks with admittedly very little, if any experience with the JX 3. Like any saddle, there is a learning curve. Giving it a try one time for five minutes is not a fair assessment.

I shoot a 64 inch recurve out of it. Took a few practice sessions before I figured it out, but now it is easy Peezy. There would be zero issues with a short modern compound. The weight argument is a nonstarter. For an all day hunt during early bow season with 6 pounds of water. I’m coming in at around 30 pounds. I have carried that for hours at a time while bear hunting Public land in the southern Appalachians. I will be 60 in a month, so I’m guessing anyone who is fit enough to climb with a saddle is also fit enough to carry the JX 3 for half a mile to their favorite deer honey hole.

Comfort is the most common adjective used to describe the JX 3. Comfort allows one to sit without fidgeting, and less movement equals more opportunities on game. Whether I’m only sitting for two hours, or 10, I’m going with the JX 3 every time.

Reactions: Spiider and JC3

GeoFish

SH Member
May 5, 2021
Kentucky
I wonder what would happen if you gave John Eberhart and Dan Infault a JX3. If either of them gave up their current system for a JX3, I will buy you a case, yes a whole case of Bud Lite.

• Haha
Reactions: BTaylor and CZMark

devildog

Nov 1, 2014
St Charles, MO
I have been saddle hunting for 10 seasons and have owned 5 different soft saddles, last year I bought a JX3 for all day sits in during rifle season. I tried it on an early season hunt and hunted the rest of the season with it. I keep telling myself I would take my soft saddle for quick hunts, and ended up going with the JX3 every time. I have used wild edge steps with it and beast sticks with it (the beast sticks fit on the back like they were made to connected). It carries great, is extremely comfortable, and without another pack and platform the same weight as my old set up. However, the biggest advantage for me is I sit still in the JX3, and rarely get busted, I never could do that in my soft saddles.

Plebe

SH Member
Sep 14, 2020
Have you tried one? The way it carries is so much nicer than what most people could ever believe. Also, most saddle hunters carry a backpack full of crap. It eventually evens out. I think one of the guys did a test on here and the JX3 only ends up being about 5 pounds more Than what most saddle hunters carry.

I really don't see where a backpack full of crap is something most saddle hunters carry but JX3 users are sure not to.

parkersdad

Jan 7, 2015
I wonder what would happen if you gave John Eberhart and Dan Infault a JX3. If either of them gave up their current system for a JX3, I will buy you a case, yes a whole case of Bud Lite.

Since they manufacture their own stands, they’re not going to premote something else I can tell you that

Reactions: Plebe