• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Michigan now requires mandatory reporting

Another FYI Michigan hunters, they lifted the point restrictions in Montcalm, Ionia and Kent or Newago the 3rd county in that CWD study?

Thanks for the heads up Mattman!

Im cool with it. I also understand why. I personally wouldn't mind if they continue to take a page out of Ohio DNRs book. Some county micro managing on doe tags is surely needed.

I hunt IN they have a similar thing. It's not too bad. Just make sure to get it done before visiting processor (if using one) so you're not wasting their time while you navigate whatever clunky website they set up.

I wonder why it can only be done by internet? The Ohio reporting, I believe, you can either do online or call in. Calling a hotline would be easier, due to crap internet service in this state.

they said in their FAQ that having a phone system would make it harder on them as they would have to employ two different technologies and would not get as good of information - especially the mapping.

I don't like the 72 hour deadline nor the penalties. If you don't have internet service, they say you can have a friend or family do it for you. The penalties can be stiffer than I like as well.

Fla started for deer a couple years ago and now they started turkey.....with internet access they want u to report before moving the animal. Fwc has an app u can get or u need a physical paper u gotta fill out before moving the animal and 24 hrs to call in by phone. I count on no service so I keep a paper harvest report with my hunting license and call it in. They give u a confirmation # and u write it on the harvest report.

We have it for turkeys and with bad service many places that turkeys like to be (imagine that) I carry the paper form with me. I fill it out and then when I get out to an area with service I can check ole red head in. We have until 10 PM the day of to report, but I prefer to do it while I'm thinking about it and not back at the house and get distracted. I get the confirmation number and write it on the paper form. It is kind of a pain in the butt though and I hope we don't get it for deer. This sort of thing can get out of hand. At some point the state might start tattooing all the fawns and you will have to call in the deer's serial number when you get one.

Everyone wants a better deer population, everyone wants more trophy bucks, everyone wants a better buck to doe ratio, everyone wants more services, everyone wants cheap tags. Well, this supports exactly what everyone wants.

It's required in both GA and AL. Done over an app in each state. The processors with ask for the confirmation number when you bring in the deer.

I resist change for the most part. But I will adapt. 5 min. To fill out a form online is the least of things in my quest to kill a deer. I'm sure plenty of guys who process their own won't fill it out.

We have been using online for several years here, I love it. When I get the conformation code, I snap a pic to have in my photos for quick reference at the processor.

I kinda hate the sticker system we have had in MI.

A phone app would be better in my opinion - especially since you have 72h and can move the deer in the interim.

1. You can drive to McDonalds parking lot and use their wifi
2. You can fudge the exact location you took the deer in a bit, to protect your honey hole.
3. It should be fast and easy to do - I haven't read on whether you still need the dang sticker, notching, etc.
4. 2 cheezborger combo meal.

Being from Ohio, it had never occurred to me there were states that didn’t require harvest reporting.

I kinda hate the sticker system we have had in MI.

A phone app would be better in my opinion - especially since you have 72h and can move the deer in the interim.

1. You can drive to McDonalds parking lot and use their wifi
2. You can fudge the exact location you took the deer in a bit, to protect your honey hole.
3. It should be fast and easy to do - I haven't read on whether you still need the dang sticker, notching, etc.
4. 2 cheezborger combo meal.
Ours doesnt ask for detailed location information, only have to enter the code for the county or WMA you are hunting.

KY and WV do phone or internet checking Ky you tell them how many points and how many inches wide.

Back