• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mid season Bibs for this season…too many choices

TommyDee

Getting gear squared away,,and onlymajor thing I need is bibs. . i currently have no premium stuff, running merino base, some mid season huntworth. Pants and jacket (no wind barrier) and a warm used real tree cabela’s parka for cold days in the pack.…all good, but i was getting drafty last year waist and down in November and later. i might foray slowly into the premium stuff, and figure a pair of bibs might be a good place to start. Rarely do all day sits, but need bibs to layer under, and keep me in the tree for 3-4 hours from 30F to 50 F, and something quiet that I can zip the legs up and walk in with them on over my base layer top and bottom without sweating too much. Sitka stratus at 350+ is outside my budget. can’t find any used. i’ll go 250 Perhaps. UA bibs? They seem nice. I might do the first light solitude’s now that they are wind proof, 270 is my absolute max. Of course during the On-X sale, these weren’t in stock, so since they are new, looks like I’ll be paying retail…Or, should i just go Cabela sale redheads for $125 and call it a day? Any help would be appreciated, and if you’re looking to unload a pair, I’m either large tall or XL.

Check out Scentlok, they just released their forefront pants in a bib for this season. They’re super comfy:
They have other bibs as well but the forefront is mid season. I’ve worn the jacket and pants down into the 40s so I’d imagine the bibs would do just fine.

In that price range there are a couple of different options that come to mind:
Predator ambush
Day One camo
Redhead (cabelas)
Scheels has an “outfitters antler river” house brand that is somewhat similar the Sitka stratus line (not nearly as “feature packed” or cut the same, but similar material and properties.

midwayusa store brand clothes are awesome for the price

i have 2 pairs of these

they'll get you down below freezing with 1 or 2 layers under them

the downside is they they are a one way zipper in the front, but you can fix that easily

I’m heavily looking at the Sitka Fanatic stuff, I froze my butt off last year when it got below 20F, could only last a couple hours in the layers I had (mostly Kuiu stuff), I think it was the wind. Feet were fine in a set of Steiger Mukluks. But I think warm wind proof bibs will make a big difference.

I’m heavily looking at the Sitka Fanatic stuff, I froze my butt off last year when it got below 20F, could only last a couple hours in the layers I had (mostly Kuiu stuff), I think it was the wind. Feet were fine in a set of Steiger Mukluks. But I think warm wind proof bibs will make a big difference.

Are you planning on packing it in and putting on at the stand?

I have some really thick bibs, but find it better to wear thinner bibs in and then put on a mid layer on stand that i've packed in. Otherwise, I sweat way too much walking in.

My go to is Kuiu down pants (thickest of the two they sell). They are a lot more compact and light than a pair of bibs.

Are you planning on packing it in and putting on at the stand?

I have some really thick bibs, but find it better to wear thinner bibs in and then put on a mid layer on stand that i've packed in. Otherwise, I sweat way too much walking in.

My go to is Kuiu down pants (thickest of the two they sell). They are a lot more compact and light than a pair of bibs.

Yep, would pack any heavy cloths in.

Yep, would pack any heavy cloths in.

okay, have you packed in heavy bibs or similar before? when i have, i feel like a turtle (reminds me too much of my days packing in climbing stands)

First lite Catalyst bibs are $260 and they have been running preseason sales here and there... I was actually talking to a sales representative and the sale on the corrugate guide pants ended.... he wasn't able to honor the price but told me to hold off and just keep a lookout in the next few weeks... not sure if bibs would be in any upcoming sale, but might be worth looking.... side note... their opening day sale was insane this year... 30-40% off almost everything...

First lite Catalyst bibs are $260 and they have been running preseason sales here and there... I was actually talking to a sales representative and the sale on the corrugate guide pants ended.... he wasn't able to honor the price but told me to hold off and just keep a lookout in the next few weeks... not sure if bibs would be in any upcoming sale, but might be worth looking.... side note... their opening day sale was insane this year... 30-40% off almost everything...

You mean the sale they had 2-3 weeks ago? They said 40 off, but most stuff was 20, and they didn’t have the new windproof stuff in stock. maybe a different one you’re referring to. I’m thinking the new solitude with wind barrier for $10 more will be better than catalyst.

I hunt someone tight spots/close quarters in NJ, so i like to get to the tree and start climbing, don’t even take my pack off…my legs rarely get cold, so I’ll just put the Cabelas coat on in the tree, and shove it down under the saddle. If i end up putting bibs on in the tree, I’d only try that with my predator XL (and mostly i like my ROS). No way I’m sliding on bibs on an ROS,

I love my UA bibs. I have the Sitka Stratus bibs too but wear the UA bibs more often.

Are those the rut bibs that are fleece outside? They look nice, but zipper on legs only goes up a little, and not sure they’re something i can walk in with and not be sweaty at the base of the tree.

How do guys feel about the Sitka fanatic lite? I know guys don’t like them, but at 179 on closeout, they’re kind of tempting to try, and just layer underneath with merino.

okay, have you packed in heavy bibs or similar before? when i have, i feel like a turtle (reminds me too much of my days packing in climbing stands)

I’m a northern Minnesota resident. I packed it many, many layers last year. But it wasn’t wind proof enough. A set of bibs and a jacket isn’t a problem. When I see the posts of folks who hunt without a backpack I know they aren’t hunting public land in northern Minnesota.

I picked up an Eberlestock Renegade for $125 for one sticking this year., it’s a good deal smaller than the X2 I used last year for carrying sticks.

You mean the sale they had 2-3 weeks ago? They said 40 off, but most stuff was 20, and they didn’t have the new windproof stuff in stock. maybe a different one you’re referring to. I’m thinking the new solitude with wind barrier for $10 more will be better than catalyst.

I hunt someone tight spots/close quarters in NJ, so i like to get to the tree and start climbing, don’t even take my pack off…my legs rarely get cold, so I’ll just put the Cabelas coat on in the tree, and shove it down under the saddle. If i end up putting bibs on in the tree, I’d only try that with my predator XL (and mostly i like my ROS). No way I’m sliding on bibs on an ROS,
... actually since then, they've have a few one day single item sales...

Are those the rut bibs that are fleece outside? They look nice, but zipper on legs only goes up a little, and not sure they’re something i can walk in with and not be sweaty at the base of the tree.

How do guys feel about the Sitka fanatic lite? I know guys don’t like them, but at 179 on closeout, they’re kind of tempting to try, and just layer underneath with merino.
The ones I have are the Grit bib. They are not fleece, it's like a canvas-ish nylon that's really quiet and the zipper goes up to the knee. It looks like they may not make them anymore.

That price for the Fanatic Lite is intriguing, but from what I read the reason people don't like them is because they aren't windproof. That would just be a non-starter here in Oklahoma.

This was last years splurge:

Wearing just underroos, they work well in October. Come November/December in central MN, a wool base layer will do. As long as I keep my core, hands and feet warm, my legs and arms can stay moderately insulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really like my first lite solitude. I just bought the new version of bibs and jacket with the wind proofing. I wore the set I had last year from 50s down to some mornings at 25 degrees. Furnace base layers with those bibs are good down to around 40. Once it’s colder than that I wear my furnace baselayers with Sitka Dakota pants and add a Klamath 1/4zip up top. Pretty versatile system.

Grey wolf woolens, wolfskin bibs. I've had under armor, first lite, pfg wool, etc, nothing beats these.

They're pricey brand new, find some on the returned merchandise tab or used. The wolfskin blocks wind and water, is totally silent, can order them lined or unlined. Blood rinses right off, FULL LENGTH zippers on both sides. These are my go to mid season bottoms, and sometimes I add another abse layer and wear them into late season.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back