• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Midlife Newbie

Hahahaha title states it all. I've recently got the bug to shoot and try to harvest some of nature's bounty.

I am lured to this Saddle way as my first means of shooting from a tree. I have Rope Rescue experience and this looks like my cup of tea.

I like many here are eagerly awaiting the Phantom Drop. I am also looking to meet up with some locals if any in my state and area. I am located in the State of RI.

The one stick method or even the hand climber method are what I am thinking. I am also planning on packing a small self rescue kit where if needed I can repel and recover (ghost knot)

This Forum is a wealth that's for sure and I'll try to navigate it but on the cell it's a little tough.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Welcome from Michigan! There are other saddle hunters from RI and I encourage you to check out a saddle demo day, even if a few hours away.

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Hope this obsession suits you well.
I'm sure it will. Like I stated I've had my fair share of harness fun for Uncle Sam. I just hope I get a chance to pull the trigger on a saddle and get it in before my work season and Armyland take me back to being super busy lol.

Welcome from Michigan! There are other saddle hunters from RI and I encourage you to check out a saddle demo day, even if a few hours away.
Thanks. I've been up your way a few times. I think I am also slotted for another trip soon. Camp Custer here I come yet again lol

Welcome from NY. I got into the whole deer hunting thing late in life as well,but that's better than never. There is lots to learn and dont forget to have fun along the way.

I'm sure it will. Like I stated I've had my fair share of harness fun for Uncle Sam. I just hope I get a chance to pull the trigger on a saddle and get it in before my work season and Armyland take me back to being super busy lol.

As part of a VBSS Uncle Sam saw fit to dangle me over the side of many a ship so I get the appeal as well. Hopefully your work doesn't get in the way of your hobbies, that'd be awful. Maybe combine work with pleasure and hunt on base?

As part of a VBSS Uncle Sam saw fit to dangle me over the side of many a ship so I get the appeal as well. Hopefully your work doesn't get in the way of your hobbies, that'd be awful. Maybe combine work with pleasure and hunt on base?
Hahahaha no Ship work here just a squad leader of our S&E CERFP team. Mostly lead on our rope and beach and break team. That and I used to climb mostly bouldering but plenty if top rope and lead experience. As for work and Armyland getting in the way...... well of course it does I just maybe trading my swimbaits for this sport. I'm really enjoying it and shooting is fun. I cant wait to add some adrenaline and sweat into it. Turkey season can not come fast enough for me hahahahaha

Hahahaha no Ship work here just a squad leader of our S&E CERFP team. Mostly lead on our rope and beach and break team. That and I used to climb mostly bouldering but plenty if top rope and lead experience. As for work and Armyland getting in the way...... well of course it does I just maybe trading my swimbaits for this sport. I'm really enjoying it and shooting is fun. I cant wait to add some adrenaline and sweat into it. Turkey season can not come fast enough for me hahahahaha

Sounds like you definitely have the rope time. Stay safe brother.

Sounds like you definitely have the rope time. Stay safe brother.
I have experience in hanging out a bit but for hours at a time and for a different purpose that I am green on. I hope that the hand climber and phantom work well for me that's my go to plan for now.

Back