• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Minimalist Flexible Boot Thread

Wirrex

Staff member
SH Member
I have been wanting to try out some minimalist boots for hunting. I hate stiff boots! Outside of work, I live that barefoot life as much as possible. It must come from my martial arts days but I like the freedom. Most boots seem to be designed for people with ankles built out of popsicle sticks and old rubber bands. I have honestly never rolled an ankle. What do you guys have experience with?

Qualities I’m looking for in order of relevance:

-Flexible sole
-Available in wide sizes
-Uninsulated
-6” height
-Muted color
-Durable
-Light

I’m looking at stuff similar to this:

The color of the sole is bad. The boot is pretty ugly overall while also being fairly expensive… I wish I could try something like this on first.

Altra Lone Peak or Altra Tushar, Xero makes a few hiker models.

LP is my preferred but the new versions are not in muted colors, so look for an older generation LP4 or 4.5.

Haven't tried the Tushar, look a little bulkier than I want. Have Xero sandals and love them, haven’t tried shoes yet.

Lowa Inox GTX if you can find them, my two brothers and I use them for work and hunting.
We have a landscaping and arborist businesses. They are great all year long, I have wear them from 20* while hunting to 98* doing landscaping and tree work and they have been great . Very breathable,light weight and are just a great boot for everything.

These are fairly expensive as well but are exactly what you’re looking for I think. I wore mine all season and they worked out well after replacing the insole in them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These are fairly expensive as well but are exactly what you’re looking for I think. I wore mine all season and they worked out well after replacing the insole in them.

I like those! Another thing about these style of boots is it seems the soles are not very aggressive. Am I right in assuming the flexibility make them slip less?

IIRC Boulder boots have some pretty good hiking reviews on YouTube

I like those! Another thing about these style of boots is it seems the soles are not very aggressive. Am I right in assuming the flexibility make them slip less?

I’m not sure on that but I haven’t had a problem slipping in them outside of once but that was my fault for not paying attention to where I was stepping.

I agree with the lems boots. I have wore a pair for two seasons now and they've held up great.

Altra Lone Peak or Altra Tushar, Xero makes a few hiker models.

LP is my preferred but the new versions are not in muted colors, so look for an older generation LP4 or 4.5.

Haven't tried the Tushar, look a little bulkier than I want. Have Xero sandals and love them, haven’t tried shoes yet.
I’ve got the regular LonePeaks but am interested in the LP boots. I’m currently on season two with my Hoka Stinson boots and love them for the ample cushion but want something more minimalist for scouting and mobile hunting.
How has the waterproofing held up on your LP boots?

I’ve got the regular LonePeaks but am interested in the LP boots. I’m currently on season two with my Hoka Stinson boots and love them for the ample cushion but want something more minimalist for scouting and mobile hunting.
How has the waterproofing held up on your LP boots?

They have held up fairly well, I haven’t had any issues yet, but I rarely hold on to a pair for more than a year. The soles are fairly soft and have worn out faster than the waterproofing.

They have held up fairly well, I haven’t had any issues yet, but I rarely hold on to a pair for more than a year. The soles are fairly soft and have worn out faster than the waterproofing.
Yea I’ve had a few pair of other altras and they don’t seem to last too long. Do you hunt on a platform or ROS?

Belleville makes some pretty comfy minimalist boots. 5.11 and Nike make some as well that are popular with the go faster crowd. Obviously these are all focused towards the military but they work.

I own 2 pairs of the Merrell Ontario 85 mid hiker. They are waterproof so they don’t breathe all that well but comfort they are my favorite turkey and early season archery option

I have multiple pairs of the Lems in different colors I love them so much. Just don’t kick a large rock or root or stump with them and they will be perfect zero drop wide toe box for you like a moccasin. Don’t think they will do well in really cold temps. They also do make a waterproof leather version as well. They are awesome.

I have multiple pairs of the Lems in different colors I love them so much. Just don’t kick a large rock or root or stump with them and they will be perfect zero drop wide toe box for you like a moccasin. Don’t think they will do well in really cold temps. They also do make a waterproof leather version as well. They are awesome.
How well do the lems hold up? I’ve been considering trying them but have read recent Rey where people are complaining they’re coming apart after light use

How well do the lems hold up? I’ve been considering trying them but have read recent Rey where people are complaining they’re coming apart after light use

I’ve had some of the boat shoes for 3 or 4 years now with minimal wear and a pair of Boulder boots for a year now that I wore the majority of this past season and they aren’t showing any wear.

Back