• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Missouri 2020 Archery Buck

Hunter260

Last night was one of the best nights I’d ever had in a stand. My good buddy Jake and I struck out to some cattle ground we have permission to hunt, planning to sit on the edge of a field full of clover with a strong south wind and rising temps. I had sat this same field several times already this year and had action every time. I’ve passed 9 legal bucks and several does here, but stopped getting pictures of any deer I wanted to shoot. So tonight I told my buddy we’d go and he could shoot his first archery deer if he got the chance. We were both excited at the prospect.

On the walk in, we met up with the landowner, and helped him drive in cattle with bows in hand and saddles on. We figured that would give us some good karma for the hunt. Around 6:00 three does came out at 40 yards and were headed our way. Jake got his bow up and ready but after 10 minutes they were still at 30 yards. He said he could have taken the shot, and had a good broadside look, but decided to pass as they eased back into the wood line. Good thing, because 10 minutes later they come back out at 20 yards. He came to full draw and after a mature doe cleared a final branch he drilled her right under the shoulder blade. With his old school bear razor heads that had been stropped to razor sharpness on 615 grain arrows, there was no problem punching through the bottom edge of her shoulder and 2 inches into the dirt behind her. She jogged off and fell in the field 40 yards away.
DC33313C-974F-4F73-A9E4-3EBA52376994.png
So with one deer down we had more than we could have asked for, and just as he got his bow back on the hanger I looked over my shoulder and saw a big 8 point at 15 yards. Instantly I knew he was a buck I wanted to shoot, and grabbed my bow to turn towards him. He was quartering to slightly, and he may have been heading into the field at the same place as the doe, but I didn’t want to chance letting him leave without a shot opportunity. I drew back my 650 grain arrow tipped with a razor sharp steel force that I had ground a chisel tip into and tucked it as tight as I could into the shoulder. The arrow popped right through and he took off into the woods. The hit was exactly where I wanted it, entered right up the front leg and exited just ahead of the diaphragm taking out both lungs and several major blood vessels. Once we found the arrow we had an easy to follow blood trail for about 75 yards to a dead deer. I couldn’t be happier about how things went and am grateful for a great buck.
93592C87-5E52-4784-A9FA-84F00E141CB3.png

Back