• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Monkeys Tail Tie In

joel0711

Can someone show/explain to me how to tie in (or use ropeman 1 or 2 ) a monkeys tail to my linesman belt for more safety while attaching steps ascending tree.
saw the Buckingham video but 170 dollars is getting on up there and I aint talking about trees either! BIG THANKS GUYS

Last edited:
Which Buckingham product are you looking at? I know what a monkey tail is but with a little more explanation of what you're wanting to do then we can give a better answer of how to accomplish it. When it comes to tree climbing there's a lot of different ways to skin the cat.

Isnt that just a prusic with the tail pulled down instead of back towards the other end with the ring?

I think your best bet is to tie this with a biner on the end instead of the ring. You can then clip onto the other side and adjust the tail length as needed. Some might argue that loads the biner wrong, Im not a rock climber. I experimented the other day by using my tether and lineman belt, both having ropeman 1 on them. This allowed me to adjust the length of each and it held me when I loaded it(no slip down the tree). I had 1 rope attached to my left and going around the tree. The other attached to my right going in front of the tree.

Last edited:
Yes but I was thinking of using ropeman in place of prusic and tightening linesman belt to tree as I set steps on tree to prevent fall.
I'm a total newbie on this after 30+ years using tree lounge. It's just too heavy for me now to cover distance in some places I go.

I tried the flinging X as we called it last year and it seems to hold, but boy does it squeeze you. Thats where you hook to the opposite side and form an X between you and the tree. So hook rope to left hip, run it in front of the tree to your right, behind the tree an back across to your right hip. It will work for now, but like you I want to figure out something like the monkey tail/buck squeeze.

I'll try the flinging X tomorrow on a small diameter tree in thicket. Area is bow only,2trips up tree saw 2 bucks but no bow shot. Concerned with safety first. dont wanna make 15ft the hard way! Thought maybe monkeys tail tightened up with ropeman 1 may make a poor man's buckstop

kenn1320 has it right. You don't need to buy anything fancy. You are not taking a dynamic fall on a linemans belt, so you don't need the 22kn rated stuff. I wouldn't worry about side loading the carabiner either. Here is a shot of just using a carabiner and prussic loop. You could leave one end free in the prussic as I show or you can run a full loop. Point is that if you should slip off your stick, the monkey tail will catch the tree more reliably than just the belt. Here is a video of an electric lineman falling to the ground when his belt didn't catch (skip to minute 2:33).

MonleyTail.jpg

My prussic loop is just 5/16" plain double braided dock line, not any of the fancy tech cord. It splices easily for a neat package.

kenn1320 has it right. You don't need to buy anything fancy. You are not taking a dynamic fall on a linemans belt, so you don't need the 22kn rated stuff. I wouldn't worry about side loading the carabiner either. Here is a shot of just using a carabiner and prussic loop. You could leave one end free in the prussic as I show or you can run a full loop. Point is that if you should slip off your stick, the monkey tail will catch the tree more reliably than just the belt. Here is a video of an electric lineman falling to the ground when his belt didn't catch (skip to minute 2:33).

View attachment 7881

My prussic loop is just 5/16" plain double braided dock line, not any of the fancy tech cord. It splices easily for a neat package.
What brand is your linemans rope? I like the color alot!

Ya

View attachment 7881

Ya just jogged my memory. I went to my stash and had a pre-tied prussic chord. Looks to be 23-24". I did a 3 wrap prussic on the side opposite my ropeman 1 and clipped the other end with a biner. It will work great.

Last edited:
Just watched a vid splicing double braid like predator. Little confusing, but doesnt look that hard. Ill order some and do the splicing myself as $25 a splice seems pricey for what I saw in the video. What wasnt clear is how long the fid is for that size rope? Ill be ordering a fid with the rope, need to know how long the bury is to calculate feet needed.

Haven't spliced or anything like this-- can someone recommend a place to get spliced rope and biner---THANKS-- that's what I was looking for

Haven't spliced or anything like this-- can someone recommend a place to get spliced rope and biner---THANKS-- that's what I was looking for

As mentioned above, use Wesspur. They splice Rope.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is kinda what I have and think it will work well. No splicing needed, super easy to install on your current tether.

prusik loop

Mine measures almost 24. You loose length as you wrap the prusik. I would lean towards the 22 as you can add additional wraps to shorten it, but want a minimum number for it to work.

Back