• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Most deer harvested in one day?

Most deer you harvested in a day?

• 1 and done

Votes: 14 19.7%
  • 2-3, it was a good day.

Votes: 49 69.0%
  • 4-6, no more room in the truck bed

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • 7+ there was room in the truck bed

Votes: 2 2.8%

• Total voters

HuumanCreed

SH Member
So it still amazes me that some of you kill more than a deer a day. WHEN LEGALLY ABLE TO. Maryland almost have no doe limits, and I see a few pictures of people having 4 in a truck bed.

Beside voting, can you explain how you kept on hunting after harvesting your first deer? I mean, I try to get my deer to the butcher asap. Then my mindset is, "Day is done, time to go home."

I mean, did you finish field dressing, drag it to the car, then just head back to the tree for another?

Field dress them where they died, pin the location, then went back to pick them up at end of the day?

Shoot at multiple deer in one sit, and track them one by one?

I assume managed population control hunts play a big part. Also time of year so meat does not spoiled.

The Monday before Thanksgiving I took my daughter on her first hunt. Normally I stack 4 deer in the freezer per season, I'd only killed one at this point. So I was looking to kill does as it was.

We sat on the ground, it's rifle season BTW, and had a group of 5 does come in paralleling the ridge on our elevation. Lead doe picked us out but couldn't figure out what we were. Proceeded to blow and begin circling down wind. Shot her and heard her pile up. The other 4 does hung around for 10 minutes looking at her laying dead, there were two more mature does in the group and it popped in my mind to kill another. Let one get right broadside and smacked her. Both deer were dead within 30 yards of each other and less than 100 yards from our position. Now the stars aligned for me to kill both of them. My buddy was on the other side of the property and said he'd help clean if needed, the weather was cool for 5 straight days following, so it allowed some aging time, and as mentioned before the freezer was getting low. I also had a management goal to harvest 3 does from the two doe groups that home range on that ridge.

Would probably not do that again if I didn't have some help. Also if it was warm like our oklhoma November's tend to be I would have left it at one. Had the opportunity to take a buck shortly after the 2nd doe but passed on him.

Not all of MD has liberal doe limits. We are only allowed two a year and only one per weapon type in Region A.

I have killed both a buck and a doe in the same day, which is all we are legally allowed to kill. It was with a rifle, shot one and continued to sit until another deer came by. I don’t remember which one was first.

I wouldn’t hesitate to do it with bow if the opportunity presented itself though. If I’m already cutting up one, getting out grinder, etc. might as well do two. I can’t see a second deer spoiling in the time it takes to take care of the first

Have shot 2 in one sit 4-5 times and have shot one in the morning and one in the afternoon 3-4 times. All doe's. Keep hoping for a daily double on bucks but it hasnt happened yet.

I have shot 2 on multiple occasions. Usually rifle or IL muzzleloader season. Shot a buck and watched it fall, kept hunting for another hour and a doe would come through, drop her and then go have a gutting and dragging party. Once I was hunting a sidehill of a steep ridge that had a lot of deer. It was a management hunt and we had damage permits. I had 3 does come to me parallel and I dropped the lead doe at 50 yards with a .270 pump. The other 2 doe split, one running uphill about 40 yards, the other downhill about 100. I dropped the upper one, and looked down to see the smallest of the three still standing there. So I dropped her. Probably all under 10 seconds. When I came down, my buddy said he thought I was just missing until I came down dragging 2 at once and then turned to go back up for the third.

In college we would go to the eastern shore of Virginia on management hunts and stack them up. Stand hunting morning and evening, drives all day. Gut and leave in the truck if cold, skin, quarter and in the cooler if too warm. Often 6-8 deer/day between four of us. Every evening would be a skinning party back at the camper. Good times. Some fat, bean and corn-fed deer out there. Most of those deer went to Hunters for the Hungry.

My deer don't like to be gutted, it's gross, so I bone them out on the spot and in a few minutes they are in my pack, cooled down and ready for the ride out to the truck.

I was invited to hunt by an old friend who has a summer house on the ocean just this past weekend. I only had 3 days to hunt on a public land archery only area. I had a buck and 2 doe tags. I was lucky enough to shoot 3 deer in just over 24 hours... A 5 point buck at 7:15 AM and a doe at 8 AM on Friday and a doe on Saturday at 8:30 AM. The buck and doe on Friday both died within sight and within about 10 yards of each other. Unbelievable trip and multiple sightings are not common here in New England nevermind being able to bring them home in the back of a truck. Super fortunate and fun but it's highly unlikely will never happen again!

I've only doubled once this year but it ain't from lack of trying.

I've doubled up two different times, once with a shotgun and once with a bow. With the shotgun I shot the first deer and the second one was confused and didn't run away so she got shot too. My double with the bow was this year. I shot a doe but wasn't sure about the shot, so I stayed up in my tree for a couple of hours and ended up getting a buck too.

I've doubled up on a couple of occasions and have gotten one in the morning and one in the evening a few times.

I was lucky to do this earlier this year with my bow, I was thinking about climbing down after I shot the first one but it was taking it's time dying (after falling within sight) and then a bunch more deer moved in while I was setting in the tree and keeping my eye on it. I figured I'd likely not have the opportunity to do it again any time soon so shot the second one. I then made myself get out of the tree, though to be honest the post-shot workload wasn't that terribly different, gutting and carting out two at a time felt easier than with my buck earlier in the season because I fixed my cart handle and the terrain was flatter. I donated one to Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry so the processing work didn't double either.

I'd do it again in a heartbeat lol.

Last edited:
I voted 3, could be 4 depending on how you view it. Shotgun season, party hunting allowed, I filled my tag with a buck, had it gutted, and was back in my ladder stand by 7:45 A.M.
Pops said if you see a big doe or buck you’d put on the wall shoot it and we’ll use my tag on it, just don’t shoot a small or young buck. Filled his with a doe tag about 15 minutes later.
Shot another buck on a drive in the afternoon as a poster.
Finished the day walking a creek back to the farm and stumbled onto a doe someone from the neighboring land had made an unfortunate shot on, just did what I considered the ethical thing there, they rushed right over to tag her once I finished it. I don’t consider that one I really harvested but we did have a tag to use.

Lost track of doubles and triples. You can kill the whole group, get some out of a couple groups. Shoot the biggest one first the others arent far behind. If your spot aint loaded your better off leaving the matriarch doe and shooting her yearling or fawns ime.

Unless its 90 degrees and they die in the sun theres no need to get in a hurry, keep hunting.

Lots of doubles & 2-3 triples. Never 4 yet. Just keep shooting, especially if you’re trying to fill the freezer. I prefer to cut up more than 1 anyway. Just keep track of where the shots were & direction of travel. Those are all usually morning hunts so recovery is in the daylight

Back