• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mountain biking to hunting spot

Rjschatts

Yesterday my sons and I were scouting for hunting locations, we found a promising spot, it’s about ¾ mile from where we are able to park on state land, then after that it’s a snowmobile trail. It was easy walking, led me to wonder, does anyone ride a mountain bike on trails to get to their location? I would guess it might be quieter? I think for sure quicker, and maybe the wildlife wouldn’t be as weary? Anyone have any thought?

I tried searching and haven’t found this topic already.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's topics here about it, but probably tied into E-bike threads. It's a popular option - deer don't seem to mind the bike noise like they do the walking noise of humans. The challenges become sweat/smell build up, carrying gear safely, and stashing the bike a x-hundred yards from your hunting location in a way that doesn't get swiped by frisky forest creatures who might find it.

Edit: Oh, and getting a floppy deer to ride on the handlebars or bar in front of you on the way out. ;)

I am giving that a try this year. Some folks use a fat bike for easier navigation on rough terrain. The one big block of state land i will hunt has a ton of horse trails,so i will break out my old mountain bike. I am not worried about anyone swiping it. And i hope i will have to figure out how to get a dead deer to ride along....

I have a couple places of gated logging roads where I do it. The threshold for me is about 2 miles I'll hike before I go through the hassle of riding my bike in. It is a timesaver at that point. I don't have the logistics of the bike down to the degree some do. I just strap my bow onto my pack and take off. eBikes aren't legal yet here on state land and I really, really, really hope it stays that way.

Yup, I have done this. It is definitely faster to ride in but, as was said, easier to get heated up and start sweating - especially going up hills! Just gotta be cognizant of that on the way in.

Personally, I stick to easy riding trails (like horse trails previously mentioned) - I dont want to do rocks, roots and technical stuff on my mtn bike on the way into my hunting spot with a full pack on my back including my bow!

I suspect that you would spook fewer deer on a bike than walking as they probably just watch you go by and then carry on with what they’re doing. As long as you don’t stop or get too close, that is...

I lock my bike to a tree to keep it safe - cheap insurance.

I have a couple places of gated logging roads where I do it. The threshold for me is about 2 miles I'll hike before I go through the hassle of riding my bike in. It is a timesaver at that point. I don't have the logistics of the bike down to the degree some do. I just strap my bow onto my pack and take off. eBikes aren't legal yet here on state land and I really, really, really hope it stays that way.
I was injured at work it was my back and pelvic.I was life flighted to a hospital so it was a major injury . I use an e-bike to carry my backpack and platform and to get a deer out of the woods. With out it I wouldn't be able to hunt. I am 61 years old and I don't understand what the hunters in my state of PA are afraid of e-bikes on game lands. Hunters using e-bikes aren't going to damage the land they don't ride fast and it can help older hunters get to place they could never hunt. They are allowed on National Forest land so why not game lands. I wish I wasn't injured and young again but I'm not.

I was injured at work it was my back and pelvic.I was life flighted to a hospital so it was a major injury . I use an e-bike to carry my backpack and platform and to get a deer out of the woods. With out it I wouldn't be able to hunt. I am 61 years old and I don't understand what the hunters in my state of PA are afraid of e-bikes on game lands. Hunters using e-bikes aren't going to damage the land they don't ride fast and it can help older hunters get to place they could never hunt. They are allowed on National Forest land so why not game lands. I wish I wasn't injured and young again but I'm not.

Aren't there already exemptions for that similar to how crossbows used to require a doctor's note? I would certainly support that.

I just think it's a giant leap toward more sharing hunter-funded SGL with motorized recreation. A motor is a motor, electric or gas it is still motorized.

As far as access if they are legalized I'll buy one but I don't think another $1,500+ piece of gear is some great equalizer that is going to let Joe 6-pack access honey holes he has only dreamed about.

Aren't there already exemptions for that similar to how crossbows used to require a doctor's note? I would certainly support that.

I just think it's a giant leap toward more sharing hunter-funded SGL with motorized recreation. A motor is a motor, electric or gas it is still motorized.

As far as access if they are legalized I'll buy one but I don't think another $1,500+ piece of gear is some great equalizer that is going to let Joe 6-pack access honey holes he has only dreamed about.
There are no exceptions unless you are handicap. The Game Commission could limit the use to hunters . An electric bikes motor helps you pedal it makes it easier to ride it's not a motorcycle and it can't do what a motorcycle can. It has its limitations.

I've rode a mountain bike in to hunt back in North Carolina. Great for just getting in and out, but if you shoot something, the bike is going to hurt not help. With that said, I never actually shot a deer after riding in but if I did, I would guess I would have just rode out and walked back in to get the deer.

It's not permitted at the public land I hunt (foot traffic only). But I would love to see that changed to allow bicycles even if it excluded ebikes.
I guess I'm lazy, but always want to finds ways to maximize hunting time (family- work- life...) In fact that's why I'm here, could never justify wasting time lugging stands around.

I fully appreciate and respect those who don’t care for bike transportation in the hunting woods
61d66b5ea83985678b4f23e2ed8812e7.jpg

. That said, I’m a huge fan. I use a milk crate to carry my pack, platform and climbing gear.....I use a Primose bow sling to carry my bow on my back.......I climb aboard this rig and travel to my hunting spot(s). I mostly use it while elk hunting in my area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully appreciate and respect those who don’t care for bike transportation in the hunting woods
61d66b5ea83985678b4f23e2ed8812e7.jpg

. That said, I’m a huge fan. I use a milk crate to carry my pack, platform and climbing gear.....I use a Primose bow sling to carry my bow on my back.......I climb aboard this rig and travel to my hunting spot(s). I mostly use it while elk hunting in my area.

Now that’s smart, how much does a rig like that run? I have been considering using this myself but feel that the regular tires on a mountain bike would only hurt.

This was taken yesterday when I reached my tree. No, it doesn't scare the elk!!! I had about 10 cows and calves come in an hour after this picture was taken. They watered and played in the pond right behind the bike in this picture. I was 25' above...literally, straight above!

I paid $4,500 for this bike. It is a 1000 watt BakCou (Back Country eBike) made in Utah by some very smart guys that are elk hunting fools. It works like a champ as you can see. This spot is a 2.5 miles ride in on a well used game trail (private land). I toodle along slowly. I'll stop every 1/2 mile and cow call to listen for bugles (a little early this year....no talking yesterday).

a1a97864f6f8cbf77ef810d757e12724.jpg

Back