• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mountain hunting gear setups!

Hutchison44

Wondering what setups people are running for mountain hunting? I’m in southwest Virginia and the mountains are unforgiving and difficult! Would love to see everything from packs, saddles, platforms and climbing methods!! Thinking about buying a Cruzr XC anyone wanna change my mind?

Tethrd One sticks, Phantom and Predator for my elk stuff. I’ll change my saddle to the Transformer for all day sits. Exo K4 2200 for my pack. I use the Phantom because it’s light. I have tried to keep thing very light for the mountains.

Cruzr XC. One sticks. Fas pack. Stratus bibs with Stratus top or usual Fanatic top once it gets colder.

The real "gear" you need is a strong mind to avoid losing it over swirling winds, and constantly spooking game with poor access. Trust me Im already one foot on the nuthouse it drives me so crazy

Last edited:
You can’t go wrong with the XC. I hunt the mountains of Western MD. Saddle is a Cruzer XC, I climb with bolts and an aider and I use a modified Pop Up 28 and quarter and pack out my deer.
Bolts for platform too? I made a bolt aider out of amsteel daisy chain with wide webbing footloop girth hitched to it.

@Hutchison44 also in SW Virginia and also wrap my butt in the Cruzr XC. Buy it and don’t look back. Now for the hard part. I have several pieces of private that I’ve got permission to hunt. A few under 40 acres that I literally have to walk 100 yards with practically no elevation change. I also hunt public and private with a 700 ft elevation change in an 1/8th of a mile. A tool for every job. Small easy access early season hunts, the Trophyline Platow pack is hard to beat. Love it. Don’t have to take the pack or your platform off till you’re at hunting height. Longer hikes, more weight, carrying a lock on for all day sits, or extra layers for cold days, I run the X2. Got it from the legend himself, Mr. @Zero One Actual and it is great for mobil hunting. Everything straps on nice and tight. When you get to your tree you take your sticks and platform off, hook them to your saddle, strap your bow to the pack and up you go. Really really good pack. I don’t get too wrapped around the axle on the “super mega ultralight” thing. So I use the mission platform, or Novix Helo,4 20” beast sticks, and about 400 mg of caffeine. Get it done.

Solid advice from everyone!!!! I really appreciate the input!! So with the bolts are y’all drilling trees when you hunt or trying to scout and preset them? Also has anyone used cranford double fold steps? They seem compact and less bulky than sticks.

Solid advice from everyone!!!! I really appreciate the input!! So with the bolts are y’all drilling trees when you hunt or trying to scout and preset them? Also has anyone used cranford double fold steps? They seem compact and less bulky than sticks.
Drilling when I hunt. 7 bolts with an aider get my feet to 19’.

One other question if I ended up getting a .75 as well what kind of backpack would y’all recommend? 100% need something bigger than the Wolfpack. Have to be able to carry clothes and gear in!

Either a windwalker lock on stand with a moveable aider or ground hunting with a small 2'x3' hammock strung with 750 paracord. Kifaru fulcrum(collapses nicely for early season bear but expands to hold late season clothes. All my gear fits in the batwings and clothes go in duffel), first aid kit, water filter, bag of slim jims cheese and crackers, can of stokers, headlamp, kill kit (havalon, extra blades, 2 game bags, rubber gloves), 10x42 binos and clothes as needed. I always have a tarp to string up over my hammock and a poncho. Always have trekking poles. Lowa renegade boots. Sometimes a msr pocket rocket with instant coffee or oatmeal.

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20231104-182020.jpg
    VideoCapture_20231104-182020.jpg
    389.2 KB · Views: 38
Currently running the EXO K4 2200, the Dryad Mini-Drey/Killdeer setup for "short" sits and the Cruzr XC for all-day sits, the Sladder and rappel for a climbing method, and the Latitude X-Wing for a platform. Layers are subjective as for temp, but I prefer a wind/water proof outer layer and puffy synthetic mid-layers for packability AND a GOOD base layer system. Also, good boots and socks suitable for your terrain, feet, and temp. The exception to the layering system is the physical stuff that I'm wearing in, it has to be fairly quiet, water resistant, "brush" durable, and somewhat breathable and/or able to be vented.

Early season it's closer to UL with a lumbar/battle belt setup with shoulder suspension and maybe a Sherman Pocket attached, and obviously less layers.

Every pound counts, but comfort for mental stability matters a hair more, and a pack that carries well helps negate the weight, and the boots carry you lol. I also usually prefer the pack if it's gonna be deep, because the deer isn't gonna come out whole...

Back