• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

MTS Run and Gun Hoist

swampbuck

I have done a few deer now with this system, but I also have a lot of experience tying the clove hitch little this. Did you try it with the dynaglide? I would think that 550 would stretch. Hope you get it worked out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for chiming in, @mtsrunner ... I have tried with the dynaglide, but I found it really difficult to grip when under tension while I was trying to get the clovehitch finished. That's what I'm confused about is where you grip the cord when finishing the clovehitch (tying the final loop around the toggle). It looks like in the video you made (which was very helpful, btw), you're gripping the first wrap of the dynaglide on the toggle which I found very difficult to do when under a heavy load.

Push comes to shove, I may just use a nearby tree and do a truckers hitch or a timber hitch.

I made a poor man's version using the chain links. The part u throw over the branch is paracord and I'll timber hitch to the tree to secure. I use mule tape for the pulley rope because it slide thru the chain links better than 550. I also use a hardwood broom handle modified to use as the gambrel. There is only really 1 spot I hunt that I'd be using this and that is my canoe access spot so i don't really need this kit to be super packable since it stays on the boat and I'll go retrieve it. I cleaned the last 1 on the ground gutless method and my back was killing me the next day and put this together for the next kill from that area..I haven't used it to clean any animals yet but I've lifted up random items equivalent to deer size/weight and it works very nice... Best part was it didn't cost anything since I already had all the components laying around

Screenshot_20201212-223103_(1).png

Thanks for chiming in, @mtsrunner ... I have tried with the dynaglide, but I found it really difficult to grip when under tension while I was trying to get the clovehitch finished. That's what I'm confused about is where you grip the cord when finishing the clovehitch (tying the final loop around the toggle). It looks like in the video you made (which was very helpful, btw), you're gripping the first wrap of the dynaglide on the toggle which I found very difficult to do when under a heavy load.

Push comes to shove, I may just use a nearby tree and do a truckers hitch or a timber hitch.

Nothing wrong with just walking the free end of the rope to a nearby tree and doing a timber hitch. Just plan ahead so you have enough rope to reach the tie off tree.
I’ll mess around with my method at some point and see if I can give you more helpful tips on the clove hitch under heavy load. Maybe I just kill smaller deer and that’s why I can pull it off ?

Back