• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Muddy

TheYote

Does muddy really not sell the pro sticks until Spring or is there another place to buy them from? Maybe there is some kind of magic trick i don't know about in order to place an order

They make a limited amount late summer and they sell out until they next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh they are not all they are cracked up to be, There is a wait but Id suggest wild edge steps but everyone have their preference. if your looking I think hawk might have a few of their sticks. It really depends on how your looking to get up the tree. There is a wait on the wild edge steps but if your order them now you will have them before the muddy sticks even come out. I have muddy areo lites and they are great to climb on , but taking them into the woods is another project. you have to hook them to your pack , they catch branches, then you deal with buckles. Im actually going to set them up in one of my trees that I just hunt off a wood line on private property and leave them there for the hunting season and use them like a climbing stick. For mobility I don't think you can beat the wild edge steps unless your using a one stick method. That's just my opinion , I know there are other guys who love sticks , but these limited runs and waiting sucks , you want to practice and get it all down before hunting season.

Oh they are not all they are cracked up to be, There is a wait but Id suggest wild edge steps but everyone have their preference. if your looking I think hawk might have a few of their sticks. It really depends on how your looking to get up the tree. There is a wait on the wild edge steps but if your order them now you will have them before the muddy sticks even come out. I have muddy areo lites and they are great to climb on , but taking them into the woods is another project. you have to hook them to your pack , they catch branches, then you deal with buckles. Im actually going to set them up in one of my trees that I just hunt off a wood line on private property and leave them there for the hunting season and use them like a climbing stick. For mobility I don't think you can beat the wild edge steps unless your using a one stick method. That's just my opinion , I know there are other guys who love sticks , but these limited runs and waiting sucks , you want to practice and get it all down before hunting season.
Wouldn't having WE steps also be a pain packing them into the woods and having to keep up with them? Ive never used them. Heck ive never used muddy. Im not a fan of my LW sticks just because of the bulk. How many WE steps does it take to get say 20' up? This up coming year im going to use a variety of spurs, sticks and anything else i can use with my saddle.

Wouldn't having WE steps also be a pain packing them into the woods and having to keep up with them? Ive never used them. Heck ive never used muddy. Im not a fan of my LW sticks just because of the bulk. How many WE steps does it take to get say 20' up? This up coming year im going to use a variety of spurs, sticks and anything else i can use with my saddle.
I’m getting about 19-20’ with three steps and a five step aider

I think you should research them , I want you to think about being quiet , I believe with out an aider 8 will get you 20 feet. also look how small it packs down into the bag , you just lay the ropes between the steps and fold them over zip up the bag

I think you should research them , I want you to think about being quiet , I believe with out an aider 8 will get you 20 feet. also look how small it packs down into the bag , you just lay the ropes between the steps and fold them over zip up the bag
Interesting i will definitely look at them. Im looking for stealth and quickness

Interesting i will definitely look at them. Im looking for stealth and quickness
ok well I think stealth will come with we steps , now quickness , takes a matter of time. If I'm going in for speed of set up I use climbing ladders , say I'm close to a bedding area , and I want to get in and set . I look for trees to set up in close by. Now when you start getting into being mobile speed is generally not what your looking for. Or should I say setting up as quietly as possible is what you want to do. Its hard to be mobile and not spook deer. so you need to adapt another style of hunting. You may be use to hunting treestands and getting in and getting up and set. What your going to be able to do is move in closer to the deer and set up in different spots. Mind you I have pre sets and you can move them during the season. but when Im going mobile im searching out new spots and setting up. Now there is a multitude of ways to climb. You system of doing so being mobile has to become compact! you can your five steps and and aider with a sawder , or a climbing rope ladder, it can be pretty crazy when you first start looking at this stuff. All of which can be done with the Wild edge steps, It can be done with sticks too. The mobility you get with a saddle is so much more then with any treestand step up that's mobile. Think about it , you use a climbing treestand they are so loud it isn't funny , they are heavy , you use lets say a lone wolf with climbing sticks they are heavy to. can you get out there and get around yes you can , but any guy with a saddle and climbing sticks or some sort of climbing system is going to be able to got further with less fatigue.
Now your getting into spots you never would have even thought of trying to put a treestand , but you want to be quiet. Remember the saying the slow man wins the race ? It applies here! Just some food for thought , and check out those steps , check out the urban bowhunter he use to use lone wolf steps he switched to the wild edge and he says its a total game changer. That guy is shooting lots of deer !

ok well I think stealth will come with we steps , now quickness , takes a matter of time. If I'm going in for speed of set up I use climbing ladders , say I'm close to a bedding area , and I want to get in and set . I look for trees to set up in close by. Now when you start getting into being mobile speed is generally not what your looking for. Or should I say setting up as quietly as possible is what you want to do. Its hard to be mobile and not spook deer. so you need to adapt another style of hunting. You may be use to hunting treestands and getting in and getting up and set. What your going to be able to do is move in closer to the deer and set up in different spots. Mind you I have pre sets and you can move them during the season. but when Im going mobile im searching out new spots and setting up. Now there is a multitude of ways to climb. You system of doing so being mobile has to become compact! you can your five steps and and aider with a sawder , or a climbing rope ladder, it can be pretty crazy when you first start looking at this stuff. All of which can be done with the Wild edge steps, It can be done with sticks too. The mobility you get with a saddle is so much more then with any treestand step up that's mobile. Think about it , you use a climbing treestand they are so loud it isn't funny , they are heavy , you use lets say a lone wolf with climbing sticks they are heavy to. can you get out there and get around yes you can , but any guy with a saddle and climbing sticks or some sort of climbing system is going to be able to got further with less fatigue.
Now your getting into spots you never would have even thought of trying to put a treestand , but you want to be quiet. Remember the saying the slow man wins the race ? It applies here! Just some food for thought , and check out those steps , check out the urban bowhunter he use to use lone wolf steps he switched to the wild edge and he says its a total game changer. That guy is shooting lots of deer !
I was thinking about 5 steps. I already have a 5 step aider. It has a small loop at the top. Any idea how I attach it to the tree? Strap maybe?

If the steps are small enough and stack good together then i will like them. I don't like things that aren't compact. I try to hunt in pretty thick brush near the MS river. If i can get in and out without a bunch of bulk and making all kinds of noise im good. I like my spurs but with trees with limbs or a little bit of lean it scares me. Today i scouted a little and found a potentially great spot thats thick and is covered with trails and crossings. The issue is all the trees are cover with limbs, vines and leaning. A good means of climbing needs to be in order lol

Steps are IMHO 10 times louder than any stick when you cam them over. Maybe 100 times. I climbed a tree with a bedded doe 20 yds away I know i couldn’t do that with we steps. As much as I love them they do have there downfalls

Steps are IMHO 10 times louder than any stick when you cam them over. Maybe 100 times. I climbed a tree with a bedded doe 20 yds away I know i couldn’t do that with we steps. As much as I love them they do have there downfalls

As much as I want to try them, that noise well camming over is very noticeable in every video I have seen. Its the main reason I have not bought them. I also am usually setting up pretty close to deer and have learned to use sticks pretty stealthily...would I love for my sticks to weigh less and pack in better, yes. But I am more than willing to keep using them, as is, for the quiet setup. I'm still young enough that the extra 3 lbs I'm carrying isn't that noticeable, and besides I can use the exercise.....for now.

Well its like I said there are a lot of guys that prefer sticks , you can use rope to attach them , Im not big on the sticks because they make noise ulling them apart, Lone wolf has new sticks coming out they look more compact , again there is probably going to be a wait. The buckles that come with sticks are a pain you have to pack them separate and they weigh almost as much as the sticks themselves. So that is a trade off. The muddy pro sticks are smaller and use a rope and cam system. Those might be a better idea. I will say this limited run makes it hard to get them , which makes it hard to have enough time to practice with them. The cam over from the WE is not as loud as a buckle hitting your stick , I know that much. Again each to their own, this is really one of the hardest parts of saddle hunting. Getting the system that works for you. It will definitely change over time and with the advancement in technology. If I can get lighter sticks that don't make noise, I'd consider them. Next is the factor of your platform , With wild edge you can use two or three for a platform, or use a separate platform , I made up a sling to carry my predator up the tree with me. Some guys are minimalists so they will use five steps and a platform. I haven't gone that far down the road yet. Like I said it can evolve as you go. The wild edge system is more compact then sticks at this point.

Well its like I said there are a lot of guys that prefer sticks , you can use rope to attach them , Im not big on the sticks because they make noise ulling them apart, Lone wolf has new sticks coming out they look more compact , again there is probably going to be a wait. The buckles that come with sticks are a pain you have to pack them separate and they weigh almost as much as the sticks themselves. So that is a trade off. The muddy pro sticks are smaller and use a rope and cam system. Those might be a better idea. I will say this limited run makes it hard to get them , which makes it hard to have enough time to practice with them. The cam over from the WE is not as loud as a buckle hitting your stick , I know that much. Again each to their own, this is really one of the hardest parts of saddle hunting. Getting the system that works for you. It will definitely change over time and with the advancement in technology. If I can get lighter sticks that don't make noise, I'd consider them. Next is the factor of your platform , With wild edge you can use two or three for a platform, or use a separate platform , I made up a sling to carry my predator up the tree with me. Some guys are minimalists so they will use five steps and a platform. I haven't gone that far down the road yet. Like I said it can evolve as you go. The wild edge system is more compact then sticks at this point.
i like compact. I have a predator platform but its a pain carrying it in and out in one hand and my bow in the other. Sometimes Ill strap it to my saddle but all that does it bang up against my leg as I'm walking. If i could figure out a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone I'd definitely try. Maybe I'll try some WE steps and utilize 1 or 2 at the top for a platform.

Does muddy really not sell the pro sticks until Spring or is there another place to buy them from? Maybe there is some kind of magic trick i don't know about in order to place an order
I have a set I'll sell you.....

i like compact. I have a predator platform but its a pain carrying it in and out in one hand and my bow in the other. Sometimes Ill strap it to my saddle but all that does it bang up against my leg as I'm walking. If i could figure out a way to kill 2 birds with 1 stone I'd definitely try. Maybe I'll try some WE steps and utilize 1 or 2 at the top for a platform.
I put mine in my pack , I was carrying it up the tree on a s hook attached to my saddle but I don't like things pulling my saddle down , so I made a paracord sling I attach it to the sling with a nitez eye twist available at any home depot , they are quiet they don't clang once you get to height unwrap it and attach it. then take the sling off put it in my pack till I get down. So at this point you just have to make up your mind what you want , trust me I know its a pain in the ass. Watch the videos on Wild edge , watch other videos. DIY sportsmen and others have videos on sticks , this will help you figure out what you want. I'm only making a suggestion. which might not work for you. I do a lot of research to try to make my mind up. Either way your going to have to wait to get something new but best to order now. I got my mantis in the middle of the rut , this year and it was a big learning curve and I had only got my muddy sticks in the beginning of the summer. So learning to climb and set up , and feel comfortable all happened in the rut. At this point I'm changing things almost daily , and that's just because I'm trying to get my climbing system and set up into the tree down like clock work.

I talked to muddy yesterday , thanks to this excellent web site I learned I have a recalled set of muddy pro climbing sticks. I talked to them for replacement, and they accepted my back order for replacement that will be fulfilled in May when they are back in stock. Hope this helps.

Hey guys, I have to chime in. I use the WE steps with the knaider/swaider. I don't let the step snap over. I pull it it down and keep it in my hands until until it locks down. Totally quiet. When I use my saddle system, it's because I'm sneaking into some place I think I can get in tight. I value quiet over speed any day, especially when I know deer are close. If you take your time most of these systems can be deployed pretty quiet. I've watched a bunch of videos of folks setting sticks, and when they pull the stick down those stand offs make a racket raking down that bark util that stick sets. Their making a video. Their not sneaking in to some bucks bedding area to hang a set. I'm sure when they do that, it's nice a quiet. Yote, get a fleece pack big enough to carry your platform. They're cheap, and quiet.

Back