• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Multi-day trip tips?

IkemanTX

In order to maximize my chances this year, I have talked the wife into (more like beat her down) letting me do 3-4 day uninterrupted hunting “trips”. Hopefully for 5 weeks straight. I will be hunting the properties close to me that I already have some knowledge of, but I won’t be driving to and from the properties. I will either sleep in the bed of the truck, cab of the truck, or in a tent to save on drive time, cost, and to maximize rest.

My question is, how do you guys that do out of state or long distance hunts handle scent and clothing. I don’t have enough hunting gear to swap out for new sets each day. And I won’t have access to a shower.

I was thinking about getting wipes to handle my personal smell, and bringing along my ozone machine and doing a mild ozone bath over the clothes each night.

Any recommendations would be greatly helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya, I have smoked my hunting clothes on at least half of my hunts for a couple years.

I don’t know if I’m down with the activated carbon due to it getting all over EVERYTHING and me not having a shower daily to get it off my skin...

Ya, I have smoked my hunting clothes on at least half of my hunts for a couple years.

I don’t know if I’m down with the activated carbon due to it getting all over EVERYTHING and me not having a shower daily to get it off my skin...

You can scatter it in the bottom of a container and put the stuff on top. I keep a bunch of coconut carbon wrapped in pantyhose in the bottom of my air tight tub. You can figure something out. The most noticible effectiveness that I see with the stuff is when I pour the loose coconut carbon grains into a stinky boot after I've dried it. I leave it overnight and there is no smell the next day.

I could do it in a sock or pantyhose and use it like a chalk bag for a climber.... just pat it against what I want coated and get a nice little coating.

My advise - use the wind and thermals to be your scent control.

That is plan #1, but I would like to minimize my funk as much as possible so I don’t bugger up a whole area from oppressive stink.

Thanks for bringing this up. I've been thinking about this exact idea this off season. I think drive times and the early hours associated with them are some of the biggest barriers I face in putting time in the woods each year. On this site we naturally focus most of our energy on weight/bulk solutions. It is nice to take a more holistic look at hunting barriers and share ideas on solving them.

With a family it is tough to justify being gone all weekend, but my kids will graduate in a couple years so this may become more of a reality.

There are a ton of great videos on YouTube about how to convert a truck bed with a cap into a cozy little sleep space. That is going to be a fun DIY project when it comes time to do such.

Your question about scent and hygeine is a good one. I'm no expert in this so I'm excited to hear the views of others. The smoke solution I've seen some use seems plausible. Wipes are a must. Of course, playing the wind is the ultimate scent card we have to play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Add activated carbon powder to a tote with your base layers and gear in it shake it up and BOOM. (Disclaimer) I haven't tried this yet but it seems to get a lot of recommendations.

Also @swampsnyper has a great recommendation on smoking his clothes that could be done very easily in the field.
https://saddlehunter.com/community/...nating-soap-recommendations.8673/#post-133611

Scent lok has some activate carbon mats that you can put in your totes and you don’t get all the mess. I even stuffed them in my boots before storing them. But I didn’t find it to work. Probably helped but I don’t know.

Coleman instant hot water shower. Best money I ever spent. Small, light, and uses 1lb propane cylinders. 5 gallons of water will take 3-5 showers easily. Has plenty of pressure and water gets hot.

fir a shower in TX just get a black hanging shower bag.... it will be hot water by evening

In order to maximize my chances this year, I have talked the wife into (more like beat her down) letting me do 3-4 day uninterrupted hunting “trips”. Hopefully for 5 weeks straight. I will be hunting the properties close to me that I already have some knowledge of, but I won’t be driving to and from the properties. I will either sleep in the bed of the truck, cab of the truck, or in a tent to save on drive time, cost, and to maximize rest.

My question is, how do you guys that do out of state or long distance hunts handle scent and clothing. I don’t have enough hunting gear to swap out for new sets each day. And I won’t have access to a shower.

I was thinking about getting wipes to handle my personal smell, and bringing along my ozone machine and doing a mild ozone bath over the clothes each night.

Any recommendations would be greatly helpful.

Ive been considering doing something similar. An hour and half plus drive isn't much but if I can stay over night or 2 it will maximize time on ground and help me learn the area

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Ive been considering doing something similar. An hour and half plus drive isn't much but if I can stay over night or 2 it will maximize time on ground and help me learn the area

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Ya, with anywhere from 1.5-2 hours one way... it adds up really fast.
9 hours more sleep on 3 days of hunting is a DRASTIC difference in how you feel.

Scent lok has some activate carbon mats that you can put in your totes and you don’t get all the mess. I even stuffed them in my boots before storing them. But I didn’t find it to work. Probably helped but I don’t know.
these mats have worked for me and I throw some extra ground carbon on to them instead of just in the tote. This way your wont be covered in black powder. This plus scent free baby wipes and extra socks and underwear to change as often as possible if its hot.

For about 5 or 6 years now I've been doing almost exactly as you are planning. I take my popup camper for 3 day weekends throughout Oct and then camp during the first two weeks of Nov. At first I was worried about getting too "stinky" during the long weekends but over the years I've found that I'm more likely to get winded on the first day than the last day of the weekend. I think the deer have an easier time picking out the scent of "civilization" (soaps, shampoos, etc) than they do noticing what we would consider the "stinkiness" of being without a shower for a few days. I try to keep the stank to a minimum by sponge bathing and using odorless deodorant but actually think they are less tuned in to my self perceived "foul" odor than my "clean" odor, at least in the areas I hunt. I should also say say that I make a very concious decision every sit to pick a location that's right for the wind direction.

I will say the shower is mighty nice after three days without though.:D

all my properties are 2-3 hours away - I just get a cheap motel - practical but it gets costly over the season, and occasionally here is the 3 AM pimp pick up to help wake you up. At least I can shower and get out of the elements.

Back