• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Multiple sticks and repelling

Coopsdaddy

If using 3-4 one sticks with a mini drey do you prefer the lineman’s belt and tether combo or do you prefer repelling down.

If I was managing multiple sticks I would not rappel. 1) it makes repelling less fun to have to stop so much and 2) if you are ever on a leaner tree and you rappel it may be very hard to remove your sticks if you end up away from the tree.

If I was managing multiple sticks I would not rappel. 1) it makes repelling less fun to have to stop so much and 2) if you are ever on a leaner tree and you rappel it may be very hard to remove your sticks if you end up away from the tree.
This is exactly my experience when I tried this.

Climbing down sticks with aiders is IMO the most dangerous thing I have done hunting elevated. For an little extra rope and a device, I enjoy being tied off while removing sticks. But that's me. Even if you don't rappel but use the rope to stay secure is worth it to me.

You just have to find what works for you. Some people will prefer one method over the other. I personally am at the same point. Even if it decide to to climb down with my LB, I’m still packing a rappel, figure 8 and auto block just in case. Cheap insurance

Climbing down sticks with aiders is IMO the most dangerous thing I have done hunting elevated. For an little extra rope and a device, I enjoy being tied off while removing sticks. But that's me. Even if you don't rappel but use the rope to stay secure is worth it to me.
I think aiders are dangerous going up as well. I agree going down is probably worse though. I will use one on my bottom stick but at least I’m not up very high when I’m on it.

I think having a emergency get me down method is a good idea. I have never rappeled but it looks like a good method. I use 2TC as a emergency method.
I do not like multi step aiders but I am ok with the right versa aider.
Screenshot_20230723_152208_Gallery.jpg

If you're using multiple sticks, I've been back and forth, I still rappel quite often. If stopping to grab sticks is an issue, can't/ don't care to stop, it's not bad to just climb back up and clean your sticks off. Use a LB or tether or what you're comfortable with. No, it's not ideal but some things are easier standing on a stick than hanging from a rope. Could be a good option if your sticks or fingers aren't cooperating on the way down too

When I started saddle hunting, I used 3 cut-down Hawk Heliums with a CAYG aider. I had no desire to climb down those stick with that aider in the dark so I always rappelled. I never regretted that choice.

I used 9mm HTP rope with an ATC and an Autoblock, it's very easy to stop and remove the sticks on the way down.

First year I climbed up and down sticks with lineman’s belt and wire aiders. I hated doing this in the dark and cold with winter boots on, it seemed very dangerous.

Last year I tried one sticking, but got sketchy in winter cloths and boots. But I found climbing a three step aider on the bottom stick, wire aider on the top three, and rappelling down was the safest I’ve felt.

I don't sweat cable aiders up or down. On the way down, I just put my foot in the intermediate space and push to the side until the aider is taught and then step down slowly.

If it's worrisome don't use them. Not worth an injury.

But for me the only concern I have is inspecting the aider for potential failure. I climb on them very easily.

I don't sweat cable aiders up or down. On the way down, I just put my foot in the intermediate space and push to the side until the aider is taught and then step down slowly.

If it's worrisome don't use them. Not worth an injury.

But for me the only concern I have is inspecting the aider for potential failure. I climb on them very easily.

Man!
That's one of the scariest things about hang-on stands is the dang cables have the plastic coating on them and you CAN'T see that they are rusty and gonna break...

My daughter and I got soaked on opening morning of rifle season 5 years ago.
We came home ate lunch, dried/changed clothes and headed back out to a spot I put 2 hang-ons in the same tree the year before.
She hadn't been to that spot before. I climbed up first and roped up her .243 and then she came up and got in the stand on the opposite side of the tree...
She was facing the tree still (and me) and said "Dad, this spot looks awesome!"
She turned around to look out across the swamp and the £♧[♤|ng cables snapped and She fell about 24 feet and landed head first!
Broke her back and wrist and cracked some ribs...

I was in that same stand like 6 days before that on the last day of bear season.
I know Ida never lived though that same fall!

The beauty of rappelling down is that you don't actually have to rappel down. You can just slowly give yourself slack as you basically climb down while tethered in the entire time. Great way to do it in leaning trees or if you have a lot of gear to take off the tree. Keeps you completely safe and in control. You can't fall when doing that. You don't have to speed down like batman just because you can ;)

Man!
That's one of the scariest things about hang-on stands is the dang cables have the plastic coating on them and you CAN'T see that they are rusty and gonna break...

We came home ate lunch, dried/changed clothes and headed back out to a spot I put 2 hang-ons in the same tree the year before.
She hadn't been to that spot before. I climbed up first and roped up her .243 and then she came up and got in the stand on the opposite side of the tree...
She turned around to look out across the swamp and the £♧[♤|ng cables snapped and She fell about 24 feet and landed head first!

I was in that same stand like 6 days before that on the last day of bear season.

Pray she's doing well.

I know someone who had cables fail and it's a limited road of recovery.

I'm thinking amsteel backups for hang ons makes sense.

Man!

Man I hope she's doing well. Makes my heart ache.

Back