• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My daughter's first deer

DC10

My daughter is 12 yrs old. Never hunted before and never shot a gun before this trip. We went to Missouri with my dad, my brother, and my brother's two sons. My daughter and I saw a big doe working down a fence row on our first hunt, but she couldn't find it in the scope. Our second hunt, we saw a small doe that came out about 40-50 yds from our stand but by the time she actually pulled the trigger (she took way too long!), it was 137 yd shot. A huge bundle of white hair hit the ground but the doe was fine.

We learned from each experience what she did right and what she could do better so that when this buck stepped out on the 4th day, it all come together nicely. She shot it through the heart at about 100 yds. It literally ran THROUGH a barbwire fence and died about 7 yds on the other side (we couldn't see it crash though).

I've never been so excited during a hunt. My daughter, in her own words, was “as cool as a cucumber” whereas I got such an adrenaline rush after the shot that my legs were shaking as I climbed down the ladder.

This trip with my daughter was all about making memories, and that we did.

For Raegan, this was her:

First trip with just her daddy.
First time flying on a plane.
First time to Pop’s (my dad's) farm.
First hunting trip.
First time shooting a gun.
First buck to see.
First buck to kill.

And this was my first hunting trip where I could care less if I killed a deer. I couldn’t have been more excited.

(The picture of the sunset was what we were looking at while we waited on Pops to come pick us up after our successful hunt. I couldn't have asked for a better trip.

Attachments

• IMG_4327.JPG
    IMG_4327.JPG
    412.6 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_4332.jpg
    IMG_4332.jpg
    540.4 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_4336.PNG
    IMG_4336.PNG
    2 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4337.JPG
    IMG_4337.JPG
    260.8 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Awesome, What a great first deer. I know exactly the experience you're talking about. I have never been so excited by a deer on the ground as I was for the first one my daughter shot hunting with me. What a great experience and memory. Congratulations!

Can’t ask for any more than that, wow, congrats to everyone involved!

Back