• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

My first hunting hang.

rutjr

Yesterday I went into the woods and prepped a tree with bolts. The ten bolts got me up about 20 feet then I used two WE steps about a foot above the bolts for a platform. It took me about a 1/2 hour to get comfortable enough to take off my lineman's belt and just hang from my bridge and tether. I don't know what I enjoyed more the hunt or the hang. I loved it! I didn't see anything deer but the range of view with slow and methodical movement is awesome! I loved hiding behind my tree and just kinda peeking around it. The only real difficulty I had was pulling my gun and pack up together. They weigh a ton! Oh my bridge is way too long. I had the tether up as high as I could get it, my bridge pulled up as high as it would go and felt like it was still to low. I have two rope man 1's and was playing with an adjustable bridge but decided I wanted one on my tether and one on my lineman's belt instead. I ordered some 5/16 Amsteel and a splicing kit. My plan is to make a whoopie sling bridge and make it permanent when I figure out what I like.
So that's it! I love this saddle thing. My Kestrel!
a0140b09dfbe151dbca6861c16dbd658.jpg

769d802e64af0b83abae3955bcc1e87b.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet!

I always wear my pack up, and only use my Doyle's Hoist to bring my weapon up. The Doyle's stays attached to my pack. I set my gear hanger up, hang my pack, and then haul the gun/bow up and hang it.

Also, most guys are using a 24-30" bridge, and a shoulder to forehead high tether. Just a ballpark of where you might want to start. :)

In the meantime take about a foot out of that stock bridge & re tie it ( knot diagrams came with the instructions) you can leave the tail if you don’t want to cut it yet.......

I tend to carry a fairly heavy pack. I don't hoist both bow/gun and bag at the same time. I hook up my pull chord to my bag before I climb, get settled in, hoist it up. Then I lower the pull chord with a hook to grab my bow/gun. Yes, I have had a couple of situations where it has taken a couple of tries to get the hook landed, but it has never been a huge problem.

I won't really argue that pulling in two lifts is safer, but it is more comfortable and easier. Moreover, when you bring two items up at the same time, you need to be able to wrangle them to get them hung on the tree which can be tricky.

my two cents

Last edited:
Sweet!

I always wear my pack up, and only use my Doyle's Hoist to bring my weapon up. The Doyle's stays attached to my pack. I set my gear hanger up, hang my pack, and then haul the gun/bow up and hang it.

Also, most guys are using a 24-30" bridge, and a shoulder to forehead high tether. Just a ballpark of where you might want to start. :)

I put my Doyles Hoist on my saddle. I usually wear my pack up the tree but it was the first time using bolts to climb so I figured I'd pull the pack up. Mistake!
Just for the heck of it I'm going to measure my bridge before I shorten it for tomorrow.

In the meantime take about a foot out of that stock bridge & re tie it ( knot diagrams came with the instructions) you can leave the tail if you don’t want to cut it yet.......

I just measured my bridge. It's 45" from eye to eye then if you add the carabiner it's even longer! I think it's my fault it's so long because I had a rope man on it then took it off and retied. I'll retie it to what #Nutterbuster suggests. 24-30"

Back