• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

my preferred setup (LW Alpha, 2 sticks)

will4554

I know, I know. This is a saddle forum. But I have seen a few posts lately that make me think this might help some folks. I have a saddle setup and use it on occasion. But I would say 99% of the time I carry this exactly. Any extra clothing goes between the sticks and stand. The sticks each have a cable aider, and I (sometimes) carry two cranford steps in my pocket. I can comfortably make it to 14 feet and can stretch it quite a bit if needed. My license, milkweed, a pen, tab, a very small knife (totally unnecessary), and armguard are in the bino harness. I also carry a bow hanger occasionally and when I do I wrap it in a layer and it goes between the sticks and stand. I'm not doing anything that other folks aren't, just maybe not as many folks on this particular forum.
thumbnail-1.jpeg

Like the simplicity of this setup. I’d really like to make my setup more simple. Really considering a LWCG .5 next year! Hybrid setup with a saddle of course.

I know, I know. This is a saddle forum. But I have seen a few posts lately that make me think this might help some folks. I have a saddle setup and use it on occasion. But I would say 99% of the time I carry this exactly. Any extra clothing goes between the sticks and stand. The sticks each have a cable aider, and I (sometimes) carry two cranford steps in my pocket. I can comfortably make it to 14 feet and can stretch it quite a bit if needed. My license, milkweed, a pen, tab, a very small knife (totally unnecessary), and armguard are in the bino harness. I also carry a bow hanger occasionally and when I do I wrap it in a layer and it goes between the sticks and stand. I'm not doing anything that other folks aren't, just maybe not as many folks on this particular forum.
View attachment 57115

I hope you have a harness and safety lines somewhere.

You could replace the stand with a saddle and still be minimalist though, correct?
I'm a chronic noise maker in the woods and fiddling with a stand in the dark is a lot more difficult and noisy for me than something I wear in and sit in. Everything has their place and I hunted from a stand for years but I feel I'm able to get into a lot more trees with a saddle (cedars, huge oaks and cottonwoods, etc.)

This is a saddle forum.
Everyone is different and has different ways of hunting so I'm sure it's somewhat liberating to share when something works for ya. You go for it!

I dig it. Recently moved to a LWCG .5 and I feel way more streamlined and versatile than my strict saddle setup. I still use the saddle with the stand but I like not having to have a backpack

I dig it. Recently moved to a LWCG .5 and I feel way more streamlined and versatile than my strict saddle setup. I still use the saddle with the stand but I like not having to have a backpack
I started the season with a .5 and their full length sticks. I just wasn't happy with the stand and sold it.

You could replace the stand with a saddle and still be minimalist though, correct?
I'm a chronic noise maker in the woods and fiddling with a stand in the dark is a lot more difficult and noisy for me than something I wear in and sit in. Everything has their place and I hunted from a stand for years but I feel I'm able to get into a lot more trees with a saddle (cedars, huge oaks and cottonwoods, etc.)

Everyone is different and has different ways of hunting so I'm sure it's somewhat liberating to share when something works for ya. You go for it!

I could, seems a little more difficult to strap my sticks and clothes to a platform. I would move around more in the tree and tree selection is limited. I would totally disagree with you on tree selection, I could never get into gnarly trees and be comfortable with the saddle. I would either end up in a position I didn't want or move so much it didn't matter.

Last edited:
I started the season with a .5 and their full length sticks. I just wasn't happy with the stand and sold it.
Different strokes for different folks. Glad you landed on something that works for you.

I could, seems a little more difficult to strap my sticks and clothes to a platform. I would move around more in the tree and tree selection is limited. I would totally disagree with you on tree selection, I could never get into gnarly trees and be comfortable with the saddle. I would either end up in a position I didn't want or move so much it didn't matter.
I'll admit I do move more in a saddle than a stand. As far as trees go, I'm talking really big riverbottom oaks and cottonwoods you can't really get a strap around. I usually end up standing in a crotch or limb on them and tether to a limb. I also hunt a lot of cedars and without cutting a pile of limbs out, I could never get a treestand to fit. I usually end up standing on limbs in these situations/trees as well.

I'll admit I do move more in a saddle than a stand. As far as trees go, I'm talking really big riverbottom oaks and cottonwoods you can't really get a strap around. I usually end up standing in a crotch or limb on them and tether to a limb. I also hunt a lot of cedars and without cutting a pile of limbs out, I could never get a treestand to fit. I usually end up standing on limbs in these situations/trees as well.
Yea I don’t usually hunt trees that large, I will it’s just not my favorite. I have the opposite issue and am usually in one the size on my wrist lol. Cedars are just as easy to stand on a limb. The .5 wedges in them ok, but the v taper just didn’t bite well enough on small trees for my liking. I’ll probably end up with a beast stand eventually

Back