• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Mystery Ranch pop up

kodiak3842

I am considering getting one of these. I am thinking the 18 would work well for me, but am curious who uses this style. Do you prefer the 18 or 28? Will the 18 hold a Predator platform inside the bag. How do you carry your climbing sticks (cut down helium or cut down lw)

Pics of you setup would be great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Q6vElnK.jpg

Like GC said there are a lot of threads on it. I don't think I ever did a review after putting a season on it.

The 28 works great for me.

I like to put the platform and sticks in the load shelf. It keeps everything compact and well balanced. And I don't like carrying the snaggy metal stuff on the exterior.

Other gear and clothes I like to put in the bag. In extremely cold weather I sometimes have some clothing overflow that also fits in the load shelf. But I pack all my clothes in. I'm the guy that walks into my stand in a tshirt in 20 degree weather.

As far as the 14 vs. 28 to me it's a no brainer to have the bigger capacity. My wife has purses bigger than the 14. For a couple extra ounces I am going 28 all day. I actually wouldn't mind something in the 35-40L size for colder weather.

If I were designing it I would nitpick the pockets and zipper configuration a little, but they are plenty serviceable.

It's a great frame for its size. I didn't get to pack any whole deer out with it this year but it does 50 pound sandbags comfortably. My pack loaded with gear, water, and heavy clothes is around 30lbs and it carries like a dream.

I would say the two big downsides for this application are noise and smell. If you are religious about noise, the pack is cordura, and cordura is loud and moreso in the cold. I'm not super paranoid about it I just don't go digging through my pack all day once I get setup. And smell, if you are a scent control believer, I don't know of any frame pack that really works in that regard.

It was my goto pack early season. I pack it similar to elk with sticks and platform in load shelf except I carry my stick horizontal. For cold weather I got an EXO 3500 for all those extra clothes.
I agree with the noise, but the comfort and ease of packing are more important to me.

I ordered the 18 and they sent me the 28... so I guess I'm going with the 28.... I ordered mine after the season and have been experimenting with loading it... I know Garrett over on the DIY Sportsman did a video on the different options for packs... and he wanted the 28 but they were sold out so he ended up getting the 18 and said he wished he could have gotten the 28... and as u may know he's all about reducing weight....but in this case there isn't much of a difference for the additional storage u get.

Ok. Looks like you talked me into the 28 lol. Now....what color?

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

Q6vElnK.jpg

Like GC said there are a lot of threads on it. I don't think I ever did a review after putting a season on it.

The 28 works great for me.

I like to put the platform and sticks in the load shelf. It keeps everything compact and well balanced. And I don't like carrying the snaggy metal stuff on the exterior.

Other gear and clothes I like to put in the bag. In extremely cold weather I sometimes have some clothing overflow that also fits in the load shelf. But I pack all my clothes in. I'm the guy that walks into my stand in a tshirt in 20 degree weather.

As far as the 14 vs. 28 to me it's a no brainer to have the bigger capacity. My wife has purses bigger than the 14. For a couple extra ounces I am going 28 all day. I actually wouldn't mind something in the 35-40L size for colder weather.

If I were designing it I would nitpick the pockets and zipper configuration a little, but they are plenty serviceable.

It's a great frame for its size. I didn't get to pack any whole deer out with it this year but it does 50 pound sandbags comfortably. My pack loaded with gear, water, and heavy clothes is around 30lbs and it carries like a dream.

I would say the two big downsides for this application are noise and smell. If you are religious about noise, the pack is cordura, and cordura is loud and moreso in the cold. I'm not super paranoid about it I just don't go digging through my pack all day once I get setup. And smell, if you are a scent control believer, I don't know of any frame pack that really works in that regard.

Are those full length sticks or cut down?

It was my goto pack early season. I pack it similar to elk with sticks and platform in load shelf except I carry my stick horizontal. For cold weather I got an EXO 3500 for all those extra clothes.
I agree with the noise, but the comfort and ease of packing are more important to me.

Hijacking a bit so feel free to PM me but how do like the 3500? How does it compare to the MR28? These are the 2 packs I'm between but having a hard time justifying the extra $ for the EXO. I'd like to elk hunt someday but I've got no idea how long it'll be until that happens and from what I've read the 28 could still handle it on a couple trips just not as well as the 3500

That Disolve pattern looks really good. Think I might go with that when I

Does anyone have the Popup 28 and a Badlands Superday? I am curious how they compare, size wise.

That Disolve pattern looks really good. Think I might go with that when I

Does anyone have the Popup 28 and a Badlands Superday? I am curious how they compare, size wise.

Superday has more room in the bag but the popup has the shelf. I added straps to strap my clothing to the outside in the late season. I probably average 10-15 pounds in the popup and it carries like a dream. I used it on every hunt this year.

I have been in touch with MR about in stock dates. It seems the non camo will be in stock sooner. Who is running with the tan or foliage, and have you had troubles being seen with it up the tree with you?
The foliage color doesn't suck either IMO.

Sent from my SM-T537V using Tapatalk

I've been using the MR Scapegoat 25 in foliage for a couple of years without any noticeable issues.

Back