• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need advice, am I doing something wrong or can a 50 years old bow lose 10lbs of power?

HuumanCreed

SH Member
Good day all,

So I recently got a AMF Slimline Red Wing Pro bow from an auction site. Put on a new Flemish string on it last night before bed. Manufacturer recommended brace height was 8, but I just wanted to test it out the new string at my preferred setting so current brace height is 8 1/2.

So the issue is the original poundage stated that it was a 50lbs bow. Did not have the standard @28 in draw length, but I assumed that it was that standard draw length.

But using a scale that I verified is accurate, I'm only drawing 40lbs. Which was really surprising! I expected a few lbs droppage due to bow's age, but 10lbs seem a lot and got me worried.

So have I missed something stupid?
-From what I research brace height does not affect weight at all.
-Strings will stretch over time but still would not affect weight.
-The only thing I can think of is that I do not HAVE a 28in DL that I always assumed at the anchor point that I like.
-That it is a mass produce bow so they might of put 50lbs but never verified it. Unless its a custom bow, you usually only see # end with 0 or 5. But a 10lb difference seem excessive.
-I might be over bowing so I'm over extended to compensate for the heavier draw weight. But this should provide MORE lbs and stacking, not less?

BUT if its not user errors (which is very likely). CAN a bow loses THAT much weights in 50 years?

Thank you for any input you can share. As this is only my 2nd one piece wood bow, I don't have a lot of knowledge to go on beside what I can find online.

TO BE CLEAR, I'm not disappointed that its drawing lower lbs. I wanted a bow to be in the general 40-45lbs range for hunting and hoped that the bow naturally lose some lbs due to age. Just that 10lbs seem noticeable? I''m still planning to use it, just wanted to know if there are other aspect that I'm missing.

how are you scaling it?

Hanging scale suspended from beam. Pull with arrow that has inches mark, end up at 28 at throat of grip. Then tested again by manually pulling the scale in drawing form to point where string hit my nose like it would if l was drawing without scale.

hmmm? what do you get if pulled to back of bow, another 1-1/2'' or so?

back of bow is far side of bow

9dZGqNm.jpg

its done both ways, depending on bowmaker. and who you talk to. may or may not make a difference.
just another way to check, i dont think it will make 50 pounds if you are at 40 now. it is what it is.
some one might have reduced the weight on the bow.

It is possible for the bow to lose weight if it was left strung for a long time. I have custom bow that I just got refinished and they took some weight off of it, but it had lost 2 pounds in the last twenty years…

Living in a region that has higher humidity makes it more likely that the bow might lose some poundage too.

Also, you didn’t mention your draw length. Most of those older bows will gain/lose 2 1/2 to 3 pounds for every inch +/- 28”.

its done both ways, depending on bowmaker. and who you talk to. may or may not make a difference.
just another way to check, i dont think it will make 50 pounds if you are at 40 now. it is what it is.
some one might have reduced the weight on the bow.
I was thinking that very thing that a previous owner reduced the weight.

put the. Race back to 8, and measure as the diagram suggests.

that said, it’ll put it back in the zone, but years of shooting and leaving strung etc will reduce weight a bit

I have two Wing bows 50 plus years old and they both test within 2 pounds of marked weight.
Well 90/100 might do the same. I make longbows and recurves. Bowyers mark bows wrong, people abuse them, leave em strung forever, shoot the crap out of em, etc. Not all of em will be perfect or maintain perfection. They’re made partly of wood. It’s going to be imperfect.

Let’s not forget. Most commercial bows at in todays world if they they are marked 50 lbs they can be + or - 2 to 3 lbs to either side of 50. This means for instance bows 48-52lbs will normally be marked 50lbs. If I remember correctly, at the time that bow was made draw length was measured from front of riser. Could be wrong but just some thoughts.

Back