• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help building my first saddle

JCLINE84

Vendor Rep
Hello, I've been looking at this forum for a few days, trying to find info to help me build a saddle from a rc harness. I was wondering if something like this would work. It's a fusion roar harness originally designed for handicapped use on zip lines. Any help would be appreciated. I can buy it for 92 dollars. Original price was 350.Screenshot_20171031-140628.png

Amazon had them. I just ordered it. Went back to post a link and it has since been raised to 127 but still seems fair. Got mine for 92 and free 2 day shipping

I am mainly concerned with safety and comfort at this point. I assume the shoulder straps could be removed to cut down on bulk, but idk, I will see when it arrives thursday, I just want to make sure it can in fact be used as a saddle. I looked at rc harnesses with a sit drag and just wasnt comfortable with the idea. This seems to be over built and safe, but I am brand new to saddle hunting so I was hoping to get opinions from you folks. If anyone can see any potential problems or modifications I should make I am open to any help.

You can never tell what it's gonna sit like until you try it. Might suck or you might love it. Same with any harnesses. I have had 5. Love 2. Liked one. Hated 2.

Give it a shot.
You can never tell what it's gonna sit like until you try it. Might suck or you might love it. Same with any harnesses. I have had 5. Love 2. Liked one. Hated 2.
x2. You never know til you try. It definitively looks safe so give it a shot.

First thing I see is no belt to cinch around your waist, so suspenders will have to stay to keep it from falling to your ankles.

Pulling it up on amazon, the backside view looks really bulky. Its not something I would use, but it still looks comfortable. try it and return it if you don't like it, but with that much bulk Id opt for the guidos web

Treesaddle and kestrel are probably more new-guy friendly and what I would recommend for any one just starting out. When ya get into rock harnesses/sitdrags, its just easier if you already have your toes wet

I had thought of the no waist belt thing also. My mom sews so maybe I can add a waist belt since it wouldnt be load bearing, its just to keep the harness in place when you stand. Then possibly do away with the shoulder straps. Not extremely worried about the bulk, figure it adds comfort having that much padding and covering such a large area of my body. The shoulder straps are the only thing that would get in the way I assume.

Got a link or name? I hunt out of a Guido's Web and this looks to be the second most comfortable option. With Guido going out of production im gonna need a back up plan!

Got a link or name? I hunt out of a Guido's Web and this looks to be the second most comfortable option. With Guido going out of production im gonna need a back up plan!
I bought mine on Amazon. It' a fusion roar harness. The only one they have on there. They went up to 137 now but still a great deal. I cut the leg supports off of mine to make it less bulky. Works great and is super comfortable. Even with the leg straps and all the attachments it only weighs 4 pounds

Update, since buying this harness I have cut the leg supports off and added a waist belt allowing me to remove the shoulder straps. It is now very similar to a new tribe aero hunter/ kestrel. Very comfortable and light weight. Original weight was 4.5 pounds. I would guess I am at half that weight now. I used the sternum strap buckle and the webbing from the leg straps to make an adjustable waist belt and the clip is very nice and quiet. Highly recommend this harness if you are handy enough to customize it like I did. You do not have to customize any of the weight bearing parts. And it was less than $100

I'l see if I can get some posted soon. It just kinda looks like a black flat piece of fabric laying on the floor. Maybe I can get the girlfriend to take pics of me in a tree with it in use.

Update, since buying this harness I have cut the leg supports off and added a waist belt allowing me to remove the shoulder straps. It is now very similar to a new tribe aero hunter/ kestrel. Very comfortable and light weight. Original weight was 4.5 pounds. I would guess I am at half that weight now. I used the sternum strap buckle and the webbing from the leg straps to make an adjustable waist belt and the clip is very nice and quiet. Highly recommend this harness if you are handy enough to customize it like I did. You do not have to customize any of the weight bearing parts. And it was less than $100
You seriously should have left the leg loops on, Now you can slide out of the bottom!

You seriously should have left the leg loops on, Now you can slide out of the bottom!
They were very bulky and didn't really serve a purpose as far as support. Plus you would have to try to slide out. No different than a sit drag

Back