• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help modifying my setup

greg728

SH Member
I’m trying to reduce the amount of rope and tangles I need to manage in my setup. I love mobile hunting but the endless options and time/money investing in different things that end up not being for me can make it feel like a grind. It may also be partly due to the fact that it’s late season and messing with paracord and daisy chains isn’t fun in 20 degree weather.

I started with 4 sticks with buckle straps until I encountered a tree too wide for the straps and was told to try daisy chain amsteel (I forget who makes it). It’s long enough to get around bigger trees. This was fine until I knocked a stick off climbing down and had to bear hug the tree and inch down with my lineman’s rope. That was the last time I climbed down on sticks using amsteel. Went out and bought 3 beast sticks and a 3 step aider for the bottom stick and invested in a rappel setup so I have the option to one stick or climb multiple sticks and not have to worry about climbing down. This is where I’m at now. I’m still using the amsteel daisy chains on my sticks and don’t have to worry about sticks kicking out climbing down but now I have to deal with managing multiple ropes and fidgeting with a million things. I think in the early season it isn’t bad but once the rut comes in and temps start to get cold it’s a pain in the *** managing the amount of stuff I’m using. I wanted to list my climbing gear and see if anyone can help me come up with a better plan on reducing the amount of rope and fidget factor.

- 3 beast stick minis with amsteel daisy chains used with a 3 step aider that I use for the bottom stick to climb multiple sticks or to one stick. Using daisy chain to one stick kind of sucks so I’m looking into possible beast stick mods.

-rappel line, quick link and madrock. I’m fine with keeping this.

- 35’ paracord with S carabiners on each end that I use as a multi purpose rope to haul my bow up/down on one end and hook into my tether locker to retrieve my rappel line. This is almost always a nightmare to deal with because regardless how I roll it up it almost always gets tangled. I tried smaller width dyneema line for this but it knotted up just as much and the smaller diameter made it more of a pain to untangle. I really need to use a new method to haul my bow/retrieve my tether.

-tethrd predator platform + 3 treehopper steps on an ocb strap. Most likely going to eliminate the platform as a primary method and run more steps or possible ditch all my sticks for an EWO ultimate one stick that I run with my ROS.

I really think my biggest issue is my climbing method/stick accessories and my means of hauling my bow/retrieving my line. I apologize for being so long winded I just wanted to include what hasn’t worked for me with what in currently using to give you a better idea of what I could do differently. Any input would be appreciated!

I onestick and climb on my rappel rope. I carry a spare tether that rarely gets used. I have my linesman attached to my saddle and have 35' of cord on an EWO spool that I use to pull my rope down with. I raise and lower my bow on the rappel rope. It still has some fiddle factor to it, but I think that is just part of this style of hunting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

You’re kinda six of one, half a dozen of the other. If you go sticks you’ll still have stick straps, a tether and linemans to manage plus a platform strap. If you go one stick and rappel you’ll still have a rappel line and pull down line to manage plus stick line. You could go 2c but you’ll now have an extra bundle with the 2tc climbing setup plus your platform line but no stick line. Don’t even get me started on srt/drt. Just gotta figure out what you can live with. Agree late season sucks cuz you’re cold, hands are froze, it’s dark, etc but that’s the price of doing business. Look into some methods of rope management so it doesn’t get tangled . I myself like dyneema cuz it’s slick and while does tangle a bit generally sorts itself. When I get situated I deploy it by hanging something heavy from the end and let it fly which usually straightens it right out, then it just hangs right next to my rappel line. Those are the only two lines I run, rappel and pull down, that’s pretty minimal I think. My one stick has a line too obviously but it’s secured to the stick and doesn’t get tangled.

I onestick and climb on my rappel rope. I carry a spare tether that rarely gets used. I have my linesman attached to my saddle and have 35' of cord on an EWO spool that I use to pull my rope down with. I raise and lower my bow on the rappel rope. It still has some fiddle factor to it, but I think that is just part of this style of hunting.

What is an EWO spool? I tried googling it and don’t think I found it.

The simplest option seems to be replace the paracord with a Doyle’s hoist and get rid of the rappel rope and climb back down your sticks. Use a truckers hitch with the daisy chains and they won’t move.
I’ve considered this. I didn’t know about the truckers hitch maybe I’ll try that it doesn’t look complicated. For the first half of the season it looks fine but I think I’d rather deal with buckles and straps during colder weather.

I’ve considered this. I didn’t know about the truckers hitch maybe I’ll try that it doesn’t look complicated. For the first half of the season it looks fine but I think I’d rather deal with buckles and straps during colder weather.
Doublesteps.com

Eastern Woods Outdoors

What is an EWO spool? I tried googling it and don’t think I found it.
My apologies. I've bought enough stuff from EWO that it stuck in my head this morning.

Have you looked at the Hang Free HFAS? Or USA attachment?

I decided to try the latitude carbon ss sticks for a similar reason to what you’re describing. I have to say they are really cool and easy to use. What I think I love most is the light weight and the attachment method. They are ropes but they are attached to the sticks and they are small, light weight and very easy to manage. Also they are very long and let you get into wider trees than cam buckles do. I do run into the wide tree issue more than I imagined. All that said I still do miss my beast sticks. But if you’re considering sticking with sticks, I would give the latitude sticks a look.

I wrap my paracord like this, no tangles.

I've been wrapping my pull up/dwn cord same way and dont understand why so many still havent caught on. For last 2 years this has worked perfectly.

Also if you switch to using maverick hitch for rappel rope connection, I only use 25' of chord as that hitch explodes well with just a straight down pull.

I wrap my paracord like this, no tangles.

I JUST found this about a month ago and I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s a game changer for paracord. I now do it with paracord I have attached to my grappling hook (which I sadly had to use again last week) and my SCS rope. No tangles, no knots, quick and easy, easy to do in the dark. Only thing I do slightly differently than the video is tie a small loop in one end that I hook around my pinkie to start but that’s an inconsequential difference.

I JUST found this about a month ago and I’m not exaggerating when I say it’s a game changer for paracord. I now do it with paracord I have attached to my grappling hook (which I sadly had to use again last week) and my SCS rope. No tangles, no knots, quick and easy, easy to do in the dark. Only thing I do slightly differently than the video is tie a small loop in one end that I hook around my pinkie to start but that’s an inconsequential difference.
I just tried this tonight and wow… this is something I should have been doing since I was a kid. Jeez… almost feel dumb about how I’ve been doing it all this time lol. Never wrapping cord any other way again. Is a game changer!

This shows how ignorant I am, I thought everybody was figure-eighting their small cords.

As said run the sticks on a truckers hitch. Make a daisy with offset loops to aid in easier hookup. Eliminate the rappelling gear.

7/64 amsteel on a gear reel makes a good tangle free bow rope. I think 25’ is plenty on length.

If you one stick use a cam buckle strap & climb up & down eliminating the rappelling gear.

This shows how ignorant I am, I thought everybody was figure-eighting their small cords.
Oh jeez I hope I didn’t come off rude, it was unintended if so.

Hadn’t really used it much in my life up to saddle hunting as a pull up for my bow. Before I found the figure 8 thing I was using a handle that came with my kids best kite to wrap it around (works great too). Prior to that I’d used a piece of cardboard I cut slots in so I could wrap it like a figure 8…..before that the tried and true stuff it in the pocket and curse the knots.

Oh jeez I hope I didn’t come off rude, it was unintended if so.

Hadn’t really used it much in my life up to saddle hunting as a pull up for my bow. Before I found the figure 8 thing I was using a handle that came with my kids best kite to wrap it around (works great too). Prior to that I’d used a piece of cardboard I cut slots in so I could wrap it like a figure 8…..before that the tried and true stuff it in the pocket and curse the knots.
Funny I was just about to start looking for a rope wrap thing like you’re saying with the kite, until I saw the video on how to do it with your fingers. Guess I don’t need another “thing” to do a thing anymore!

Back