• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need help splicing double braid

bowhunter15

Vendor Rep
ca34ed2b2f6cf9080316b79e68f08116.jpg

I'm at this step. I need to run the core back through the cover and through about 4 inches of the main rope before coming back out. For the life of me I cannot get the core through those last 4 inches. I can't even get the fid through by itself, or a smaller fid. The cover just does not want to stretch enough. I thinned out the core and tried pulling it through with a bent over wire but still no luck. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: PJC
Oh no, how did you get the beans above the Frank? sorry humor is all I got, pm flingin he is our resident double braid expert

That's the hardest part. I actually use a piece of Easton Axis arrow as a fid and it's hard to get through that part. Sheer determination is about all I can tell ya lol. Pull the cover back from the core and pull the core tight so it creates space in that area

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This part wasn't so bad I had a hell of a time burying the splice. when you get there find something REALLY stury to tie it off too and use a biner or some sort of smooth metal dowl through the loop to pull on so the loop can slide over it.

This part wasn't so bad I had a hell of a time burying the splice. when you get there find something REALLY stury to tie it off too and use a biner or some sort of smooth metal dowl through the loop to pull on so the loop can slide over it.

I tightly wrap my crossover point in dental floss so its as small as possible. I hook one end of the rope to a beam in my basement and hook the loop I am splicing to my RC harness. I milk the rope back as i'm putting my weight into it. Usually buries really easy that way. I tried it with just my hands on the first few and after getting blisters on my palms I had to find another way LOL. Gloves help with that as well.

It took an hour and a half of brute force, but I got it to this point. Haven't gotten much movement over the past 15 minutes or so. Need a break. I have the rope hooked up to the work bench and I'm clipping into the loop, sitting back against it and trying to milk the sheath down. I get to the point where the whole work bench slides out a foot or two, then I move it back and try again.

c71d720521b54594ab481dd63f4c093f.jpg

At this point you need to be tied off to something that won't give at all. Start by milking the sheath down and when you get down to the splice put all your weight hard into the rope like your trying to break it. You also may need to take a hammer and pound the crossover point and where the splice is buried to loosen it some because it gets very tight. Don't pound hard enough to damage it but just enough to create some space under the cover. The first splice I did I had some wicked blisters and about wore myself out LOL.

Hmmm starting to understand the cost associated with buying it spliced already. Im still gonna give it a go, just for the learning experience.

Flingin have you spliced the predator rope before? Im guessing some ropes are harder than others to splice. Would seem the limper the rope the easier to splice. Might be allusion, but yb looks limper than predator. Anybody use both?

Hmmm starting to understand the cost associated with buying it spliced already. Im still gonna give it a go, just for the learning experience.

Flingin have you spliced the predator rope before? Im guessing some ropes are harder than others to splice. Would seem the limper the rope the easier to splice. Might be allusion, but yb looks limper than predator. Anybody use both?

It's tricky at first but after you do it a few times it gets pretty easy. I haven't done any Predator yet but looking at the pics of it I think it shouldn't be a problem. It looks to be about the same construction as the Bandit and I have done a bunch of it. Some rope has such a tight weave to the cover it can't be done

Some rope has such a tight weave to the cover it can't be done

My guess is that this stuff is pretty close to the limit. Compared to the rope they do on the YouTube tutorials it looks night and day easier for their rope.

My guess is that this stuff is pretty close to the limit. Compared to the rope they do on the YouTube tutorials it looks night and day easier for their rope.

Looking at the pics of it I'd say you are right. You are so dang close tho I think I'd try until you know for sure it can't be done lol. That last little bit is tough. Hook it to your truck! Haha

I saw a couple setups where they used a prusik rather than hands to help pull/milk. Anyone try this?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I saw a couple setups where they used a prusik rather than hands to help pull/milk. Anyone try this?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That actually sounds like a good idea. Might try that next time.

I do have a question though. The core is a little bit stretched relative to the sheath throughout the loop, meaning that if I pinch the rope in the loop, it isn't quite as firm as the main body of the rope. Maybe 80% as firm. Big deal or not so much? I realize I would still need to lock stitch at this point.

4efa26cf89c396eaa6535fbc4cf08c01.jpg

First attempt at lock stitching = broken needle.

I got most of it lock stitched before my last needle broke. I will need to buy more tomorrow. I have a system going using the vice to hold the needle and a hammer to help tap the needle through so it's been going pretty quick.

I do have a question though. The core is a little bit stretched relative to the sheath throughout the loop, meaning that if I pinch the rope in the loop, it isn't quite as firm as the main body of the rope. Maybe 80% as firm. Big deal or not so much? I realize I would still need to lock stitch at this point.

Looks good man!! I would say your ok. As long as you feel like the splice went together ok I wouldn't worry too much. What was your final method to get it buried in the end?

Looks good man!! I would say your ok. As long as you feel like the splice went together ok I wouldn't worry too much. What was your final method to get it buried in the end?

I wrapped the rope around my trailer hitch on my truck and alternated 1) leaning against the rope and milking the cover, 2) tapping the bury with a mallet, and 3) holding a hammer in the loop and snapping it like the guy in the New England ropes YouTube splicing tutorial does. That's the step when most of the actual movement ocurred. It probably took 15 minutes of repeating those steps to finish the splice.

If you look at the reviews on Predator rope on Wesspur it looks like I'm not the only one who had issues splicing it. Glad it's over with lol. On the other end I'll stick with a stopper knot.

Back