• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Need ideas for DIY knife sheath

Red Beard

SH Member
Last weekend I learned a new method of gutting that I think I'm going to continue employing from here on. My Outdoor Edge knife with the replaceable blade is great for skinning but won't go through the sternum easily (part of this method). My buddy had a Case that went through like butter.

Enter this beauty... This Schrade-Walden 148 was given to me by my Dad many years ago. It spent a lot of those years in a drawer. Then after a while, I pulled it out, had the washer handle replaced with a wooden one, and bought a horizontal sheath for it. The horizontal sheath worn in the small of my back is ok if I'm just out on a hike. However, donning a saddle real quick while carrying this thing isn't possible because of how it sits on my beltline.

Does anyone have DIY ideas for carrying this fixed blade while in the saddle? Or a sheath idea that I can move out of the way enough to sit in my saddle? I'm really looking for a non-leather solution because I dont want to sew anything. Think I'm looking for a sheath of some sort but y'alls ideas always amaze me!

Thank you in advance!
20201107_123810.jpg

Got your back brother. What you need is a kydex kit:
I made one in the past for a kabar, easy to use. You can heat it in an oven to get it to form to the knife

Got your back brother. What you need is a kydex kit:
I made one in the past for a kabar, easy to use. You can heat it in an oven to get it to form to the knife
Thanks man. Is kydex one of those things where I'll have to buy 4 kits cause I'll be learning what not to do on the first 3?

Thanks man. Is kydex one of those things where I'll have to buy 4 kits cause I'll be learning what not to do on the first 3?
Nah, not with your country sensibilities. I think that kit comes with 4 sheets so figure one is for waste/learning, the rest for production. Lotsa YouTube vidyahs

Now to rummage the house for PVC...

Though its not what you're asking I carry an anvil pruner for trimming branches. You can slip that anvil under the pelvic and snap it in to. The legs drop apart for easy gutting. Just a thought..

Though its not what you're asking I carry an anvil pruner for trimming branches. You can slip that anvil under the pelvic and snap it in to. The legs drop apart for easy gutting. Just a thought..
Wow! Yeah that's a great idea!! Thank you!

+1 vote for Kydex, especially if you have a heat gun and a jigsaw or a scroll saw.

One way to do it would be to heat and fold a whole sheet in half, then cut to the shape of your knife. To hold it all together, I’ve used binding posts like this before:

You could also use those binding posts to secure a webbing loop with a triglide and attach it to your saddle similar to the Tethrd dump pouches.

Also, never tried it, but I’ve seen folks who line their kydex sheaths with felt secured by spray adhesive before the initial fold to protect the knife and silence the whole thing.

I vote the Kydex but I will say it is easy to work with but it may take some trial and error to get what you want. As long as you don't over heat it you can often times re-heat it and work it again if needed. I make holsters and sheaths and what ever else I can think of but I must say sheaths have been more of a challenge to get right so that blades lock in. Lots of videos out there for help!! If you know anyone with a T-shirt press it is by far the best option for consistent heat and for a cheap 1 time DIY get a cheap 1" thick foam camping mat can usually pick 1 up for about $8 or so. Looing at you're blade it shouldn't be too bad to work with. That's a nice looking skinner blade also! Good luck and as a caution if you use the oven its going to stink up the house. and if not careful it will make a mess of it. Another cation is once you start playing with Kydex its kind of a rabbit hole you may go down (like Saddle hunting) :)!

No, but buy 4 kits because you’ll come up with so many random uses for it.........stuffs amazing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last weekend I learned a new method of gutting that I think I'm going to continue employing from here on. My Outdoor Edge knife with the replaceable blade is great for skinning but won't go through the sternum easily (part of this method). My buddy had a Case that went through like butter.

Enter this beauty... This Schrade-Walden 148 was given to me by my Dad many years ago. It spent a lot of those years in a drawer. Then after a while, I pulled it out, had the washer handle replaced with a wooden one, and bought a horizontal sheath for it. The horizontal sheath worn in the small of my back is ok if I'm just out on a hike. However, donning a saddle real quick while carrying this thing isn't possible because of how it sits on my beltline.

Does anyone have DIY ideas for carrying this fixed blade while in the saddle? Or a sheath idea that I can move out of the way enough to sit in my saddle? I'm really looking for a non-leather solution because I dont want to sew anything. Think I'm looking for a sheath of some sort but y'alls ideas always amaze me!

Thank you in advance!
View attachment 38840
Where do you think you want to carry it?

Maybe a leather dangler sheath that can slip between your saddle straps and ride on the outside, but still be clipped to your belt.

Thank you in advance!
View attachment 38840
Have someone make you a kydex sheath and put it on your chest rig.

Back