• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Needing some binoculars for hunting. What would you suggest?

Hogtooth

So im needing to upgrade my binoculars. What are you guys using what are the pros and cons. I am thinking about some vortex 10X42 diamondbacks.

thanks

It all depends on the terrain your looking at. 10x42 is a good all around size. For whitetails thats a good size. Any bigger than thT is overkill for up in the saddle and how far you're actually going to be able to see in most terrain. It takes to long for me to find my target if its too much zoom. I like 8x. I have a pair of 12x50s and theyre too much

A cheap pair of binoculars gets replaced every couple of years, often have split vision, and you wind up not using them much. A nice pair will last many years, and you’ll use them all the time. My current pair of leupold binoculars are 8 years old and I really like them. They weren’t the nicest leupold made. Just one step above the cheapest. They are still light years better than any cheap pair I’ve hunted with. Had I known they would be around as long as they have I would have upgraded to a lighter set with better glass.

Can't go wrong with the Vortex. I recommend going and trying them then pick up another brand at the same price point as the Vortex. Everyone I know has walked out with the Vortex.

Reactions: POC
I have 10x42 but most of the time am wishing I had 8x42. I use them especially as the sun is going down so that extra low light visibility would be handy.

I just got the 8x42 diamondbacks and they’re great. Bass pro had the 10x42 diamondbacks on sale for 160 a while back

vortex, leupold, or nikon all make great budget glass. I'd get 10x42 like others recommended. Not too much nor too little magnification for whitetail woods.

Last edited:
Vortex diamondback HD 10x42's in the strata camo were 160 at basspro i think

Vortex diamondback 8x42 would be my suggestion. Tried the 10x42 and went back to 8x. Better for whitetail IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple years ago I went bino shopping for an upcoming elk trip, I ended up with Leica Trinovids 10x42, I tried everything at bass pro and many others, I was impressed with the Vortex diamondbacks and think for normal deer hunting there probably more than adequate and looking back I should have just bought them, glassing for elk all day is a lot different than occasional deer checking and the difference between $1500 leicas and $160 diamondbacks isn't needed for most just for deer hunting, the “good stuff” is definitely better and if money is no object or your a cry once buy once type then by all means the options are endless, I think for the money those diamondbacks are tough to beat.

vortex diamond backs are sold out at bass pro. Both in store and online. I will mainly be glassing fields for whitetail and glassing the woods when im in my saddle.

I’ve got Leupold 10x42 McKenzies. Caught them on sale a couple 2 years ago for $149. They’re on sale at Cabelas right now for $159. I think they’re perfect for the whitetail woods. I dropped them out of the tree last year and on the way down they hit something perfectly on the right eyepiece. Sounded like a rifle went off. Broke em right in half and snapped the eyepiece off. Called Leupold they said send em back. Got a brand new pair in the mail. Only bad thing is it took a couple months to get em. Not sure how fast Vortex is on their warranty turnaround. But I was pleasantly surprised that they gave me a new pair no questions asked. Of course it could be argued that they shouldn’t have broken in the first place maybe? Anyway for $150 I think they’re great. Real clear and they don’t fog up. At least mine haven’t.

I had a leupold scope damaged in transit, I bought it used and the guy who sold it to me was worried sick about it, I called leupold and they fixed everything for free, there awesome!

You can’t go wrong with any of the VIRTEX Diamondback HD’s. I have the 8x32’s and the 12x50’s. Love the 8’s for deer hunting and scouting (and bird watching). The 12’s are awesome for long range scoping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So im needing to upgrade my binoculars. What are you guys using what are the pros and cons. I am thinking about some vortex 10X42 diamondbacks.

thanks
I guess the question is are you bow or rifle hunting? 8 power will generally have more light transmission during low light conditions, but if you want a pair for long range rifle hunting you will probably want a little higher magnification. Vortex does have a fabulous warranty, but there is no substitute for European glass. Czech made meopta glass is amazing, but pricy. Meopta czech makes the glass for swarovski and leica. You can have european glass at a fraction of the price, only difference is the coatings. I have high end binos and lower end 400 dollar Leupold binos. I usually take the cheaper ones saddle hunting because of tree bark, dust, debris, etc. I only use my high end leicas for long range shooting.

Bow hunting from a saddle in the deep woods of eastern Kentucky. Some glassing of some hay fields in the summer.

Probably my most important piece of equipment! Buy the best set you can afford.. If you are not in a hurry, determine how much you can spend and then delay to save enough for the next grade up. You'll never regret having good glass.

Bow hunting from a saddle in the deep woods of eastern Kentucky. Some glassing of some hay fields in the summer.
When I am bow hunting, I use my 8 power binos. Anything you can actually shoot at you will be able to see very well with the 8 powers. Just make sure when buying binos the objective lens is at least 4x the magnification. 8x32, 10x42 the higher the magnification the more light transmission you lose, which will hinder you in low light conditions. The higher magnifications require more glass to get there, thus even with a high light transmitting glass, the thicker the glass, the less light can pass through. I personally will not drag my 2500.00 binos up a tree to saddle hunt. To each their own though. I think for relatively inexpensive glass Nikon has some decent mid priced binos as well. If you are looking for inexpensive, if you stay in the 300.00 to 500.00 dollar range you should have pretty good all around binos with just about any of the ones you choose to go with.

Back