• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New - Advice?

Picked up an Aero Evo a few days ago. Any advice on sticks or other equipment? General advice? Excited to try out saddle hunting.

Thanks in advance!
I use primal steps and a wild edge perch. My first year and season opens in Illinois in 5 days.

Are those as difficult as they seem? I was leaving towards sticks, but have no experience with anything else.
The hawk heliums are awesome and inexpensive. I believe the muddy pros were on sale on Amazon as well

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Any preference on the two? I was looking at the heliums. They’re about $120/pack where I can find them. Seems like I’d need 4 heliums or 5 muddys
I have the heliums. I liked the boat cleat on the muddy's but have never climbed them. And yes, you'll need 4-5 if u want to get close to 20' if you dont use an aider. They arent that heavy though. You'll just need to figure a way to.carry them. The heliums stack very nicely.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bass Pro and Cabelas usually run a special on the Helium’s and API sticks each season for $99. I use the API with a permanently attached single step aider on each bottom step. They are heavier but very stable.

Pretty close to season start so to avoid the WE/Primal learning curve, start with a 3 pack of Heliums and use the search function to research a CAYG aider. You can hit 18-19ft with that setup.

Picked up an Aero Evo a few days ago. Any advice on sticks or other equipment? General advice? Excited to try out saddle hunting.

Thanks in advance!
There's a ton of personal preference involved with getting up the tree and set up at the top. A lot depends on what you wanna bring with you and how far you wanna go. Sticks are the old standby...but after ditching the stand some of us wanna downsize there more. I'm gonna run mostly bolts and squirrelsteps this year, I think.

There's a ton of personal preference involved with getting up the tree and set up at the top. A lot depends on what you wanna bring with you and how far you wanna go. Sticks are the old standby...but after ditching the stand some of us wanna downsize there more. I'm gonna run mostly bolts and squirrelsteps this year, I think.
I feel like some methods get sketchy. Im sure it’s safe when done correctly. I’m just not sure I trust myself in boots and cold gear.

How does that work? Help with angled trees and extra height?
I think I didn't make that clear . I use 4 lonewolf stick by them self. I also use 3 Helium sticks . Wild Edge steps with a 5 foot aider. I don't use them at the same time . I like to have different options.

I feel like some methods get sketchy. Im sure it’s safe when done correctly. I’m just not sure I trust myself in boots and cold gear.
I agree there are plenty of methods that at a minimum you want to practice the hell out of.
Bolts and squirrelsteps are about the two least-sketchy methods around and part of why I like them.

Back