• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Bow, New Problems

TonyGreenway

Jul 18, 2018
Cartersville, Georgia
Has anyone ever had an issue with limb dampeners moving around and falling off? I just bought a new PSE Stinger Extreme, and I love it so far. However, the limb dampeners move with every shot, and will fall off if I don't keep them in check. Any advice on preventing this? Is there an adhesive I can safely use on them, or maybe some double-sided tape? I don't want to damage the finish. If I need to ditch the factory dampeners, I will. What dampeners do you guys use? What works and what doesn't? I'm pretty new to archery, so any advice is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

P.S.
I'm also looking to replace the arrow rest. The bow came with a whisker biscuit, and it's leaving streaks on the arrow shafts and fletches. It just seems like it would effect the flight of the arrow. What rest would you suggest?

Reactions: bigjoe

bigjoe

Jan 10, 2015
VA
They should not be Falling off or moving. I have never even had to check mine and my bow is 5+ years old. I would take it back to your local shop and explain what is going on. Hopefully they can have it fixed for you.

I got away from a whisker biscuit for the same reasons. Yet a lot of people like them. I shoot a trophy ridge drop away.

Reactions: TonyGreenway

AvgJoewithaBow

Vendor Rep
May 27, 2018
I've been using a trophy taker smackdown pro which is a limb driven rest. After 4 years and 3 different bows it's still solid as a rock and has not failed on me a single time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chistavocat

Sep 15, 2015
I’m not familiar with that bow but I’m assuming it’s a split limb. Some dampeners are made to fit different size limb gaps and can simply be rotated 90* for a tighter fit. If not I’m with bigjoe in that you should take it back and fitted for something else.

As far as an upgraded rest I would recommend a limb driven. They are easily installed and eliminate timing issues. I’ve been using a vapor trail limbdriver and love it. It’s the standard. I’ve always used a full containment rest because I thought I needed it, especially in a saddle taking the bow over the bridge at different angles. With this rest I use the glue on rubber arrow keeper on the shelf (not sure what they are officially called) I just push the arrow into it, it holds solid and when the launcher arm comes up the arrow slips out with no noise.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Reactions: AvgJoewithaBow

Apex7

SH Member
Jan 6, 2017
Pittsburgh Pa
Trophy Taker shakey hunter is a good rest . I have one as a backup. I use a Montana black and gold trapdoor it's a great rest to bad they don't make them any more. I agree with bigjoe I would take it back to were you bought it.

TonyGreenway

Jul 18, 2018
Cartersville, Georgia
I’m not familiar with that bow but I’m assuming it’s a split limb. Some dampeners are made to fit different size limb gaps and can simply be rotated 90* for a tighter fit. If not I’m with bigjoe in that you should take it back and fitted for something else.

As far as an upgraded rest I would recommend a limb driven. They are easily installed and eliminate timing issues. I’ve been using a vapor trail limbdriver and love it. It’s the standard. I’ve always used a full containment rest because I thought I needed it, especially in a saddle taking the bow over the bridge at different angles. With this rest I use the glue on rubber arrow keeper on the shelf (not sure what they are officially called) I just push the arrow into it, it holds solid and when the launcher arm comes up the arrow slips out with no noise.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thank you very much for the insight. It is a split limb bow, and the dampeners are the factory installed, rubber "X" shaped twist on type. I've been reading, and it looks like they're notorious for this issue. Noone seems to have fixed it, though. They all replace them. I will look into the vapor trail limb driven rest. I was thinking about that style. Thanks, again.

TonyGreenway

Jul 18, 2018
Cartersville, Georgia
They should not be Falling off or moving. I have never even had to check mine and my bow is 5+ years old. I would take it back to your local shop and explain what is going on. Hopefully they can have it fixed for you.

I got away from a whisker biscuit for the same reasons. Yet a lot of people like them. I shoot a trophy ridge drop away.
Thanks!

huck72412

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Nov 27, 2014
I'd get a " dead end " string stop and lose the dampers. Then I'd get a qad ultrarest.

TonyGreenway

Jul 18, 2018
Cartersville, Georgia
I'd get a " dead end " string stop and lose the dampers. Then I'd get a qad ultrarest.
The bow has a factory installed string stop.Should I change to a Dead End, or would you say the factory one is okay? The bow was surprisingly quiet the first time I shot it. I don't think you will get a bow in that price range that's any quieter out of the box. ($400 RTH) That's with a string stop and two dampeners on each limb. Thanks for the advice!

TonyGreenway

Jul 18, 2018
Cartersville, Georgia
If you can't get them fixed you may want to try limbsaver products they always worked for me.
Thanks, I will look at Limbsaver. Wal-Mart carries them near me. I'll just take my bow and see what fits more snugly. I'll probably only replace one on each limb. The two closest to the riser don't move, it's only the two closest to the cam and idler. Thank you for the tip!

EricS

Vendor Rep
SH Member
Dec 14, 2016
Georgia
I like the whisker on a hunting bow because of noise and the simplicity of the design. They are less forgiving though. I wouldn’t worry about the lines on your arrow.