• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New from South Louisiana. Thumb release?

I'm looking into trying a thumb style release. Hope someone chimes in with experience with them.

Just purchased one last week. Going on a week long hunt the day after Christmas. I'll report back if I get to use it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thumb release works great, it's all I shoot from tournaments to ground blinds to the best of all, the saddle style stand (guidos web and sitdrag)

Only one thing, don't do what I did. I went to let my bow down slowly and my release touched my shoulder strap and in an instant, arrow is stuck in a very small tree at 10 yrds with the swhacker sticking out the back of the tree and the lighted nock reminding me of what just happened.

Only one thing, don't do what I did. I went to let my bow down slowly and my release touched my shoulder strap and in an instant, arrow is stuck in a very small tree at 10 yrds with the swhacker sticking out the back of the tree and the lighted nock reminding me of what just happened.
I did that in a family friendly tournament this year. The kids had to cover their ears.

Some yrs ago I switched to a thumb release and it was love at first shot. I still practice a few shots with my old wrist release because I carry it as a back up but it feels more and more awkward every year. Should probably buy another thumber for a backup instead :D

Some yrs ago I switched to a thumb release and it was love at first shot. I still practice a few shots with my old wrist release because I carry it as a back up but it feels more and more awkward every year. Should probably buy another thumber for a backup instead :D
I've got 3 thumb releases. During hunting season, i have releases in my truck, one in my pack and one on the string ready to go.

I've got 3 thumb releases. During hunting season, i have releases in my truck, one in my pack and one on the string ready to go.
Any worries of your release coming off when you pick up your bow...?
And does it just dangle from your d loop..?

I have been shooting a thumb release for about a year now. If I had any advice to give to a new shooter it would be to watch the pros shooters and learn how to shoot one properly and practice practice practice. There are a lot of good videos from pros like Reo Wilde, John Dudley and Levi Morgan to name a few. You can punch a thumb trigger just like a wrist strap index trigger, but to get the most benefit from shooting a thumb release a surprise release is needed. There are many ways to achieve a surprise release wether that be index finger relaxation, ring or pinky contraction, palm relaxation or just pulling through the shot. The key IMO is to find a repeatable surprise release that allows for little movement of your hand and you will see your accuracy improve greatly, your anchor will be solid, you will pull through the shot and your follow through will be strong. This will all result in better accuracy. Be sides that, I like having my release hang on the string which leaves my hand and wrist free from getting caught on my clothes or making noise. I never have worried about the release falling off the loop but I do carry a back-up just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been shooting a thumb release for about a year now. If I had any advice to give to a new shooter it would be to watch the pros shooters and learn how to shoot one properly and practice practice practice. There are a lot of good videos from pros like Reo Wilde, John Dudley and Levi Morgan to name a few. You can punch a thumb trigger just like a wrist strap index trigger, but to get the most benefit from shooting a thumb release a surprise release is needed. There are many ways to achieve a surprise release wether that be index finger relaxation, ring or pinky contraction, palm relaxation or just pulling through the shot. The key IMO is to find a repeatable surprise release that allows for little movement of your hand and you will see your accuracy improve greatly, your anchor will be solid, you will pull through the shot and your follow through will be strong. This will all result in better accuracy. Be sides that, I like having my release hang on the string which leaves my hand and wrist free from getting caught on my clothes or making noise. I never have worried about the release falling off the loop but I do carry a back-up just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Like using the push/pull, pinky/ring finger way of shooting the release. It's an awesome feeling when that string is released with the suprise of this style shooting and seeing the arrow punch the spot you are aiming for.

Which releases are you using/do you like? When I got mine the local shops didn't have much to try so I planned to buy/sell used ones to find what I liked. Bought a Stan Shootoff first and that was that, liked it so much never got another. The only thing I don't care for is that the click sound when the sear releases is a little loud. Hasn't caused problem but would prefer it quieter.

Thumb releases are great... Increased my accuracy and love having it on the bow ready to go while hunting and having my wrist free of obstruction while digging into pockets or pack. Several tips I can give you: 1. place your thumb behind the 'trigger' while pulling bow back to shoot (punched myself in the face when first switched over and never found that arrow!! lol).. 2. secure your release in a closed pocket or dummy cord it in some fashion while traveling to and from your stand while hunting (somehow lost mine in the woods while on a week long hunting trip to southern Ohio during the rut... mid day I changed locations got up in stand everything all set reached into my bow vest and release was gone!! spent several hours digging through leaves/retracing my tracks crawling on hands and knees desperately searching and never found it and NO backup in my pack!!!) what can go wrong, does go wrong while bowhunting... now I carry two of just about all the important equipment....

Which releases are you using/do you like? When I got mine the local shops didn't have much to try so I planned to buy/sell used ones to find what I liked. Bought a Stan Shootoff first and that was that, liked it so much never got another. The only thing I don't care for is that the click sound when the sear releases is a little loud. Hasn't caused problem but would prefer it quieter.

All 3 releases are tru ball releases, $100 or less. All 3 are also set at different trigger tensions, this is for aiming purposes only (concentration on the spot and not the trigger).

Thanks guys. I really appreciate all of the insight. So i havent read any downsides to a thumb release while saddle hunting. Thats awesome! I just completed my sit drag mods, and im going on my first hunt with it tomorrow.

Bought a Stan Shootoff used this year. After hitting myself in the jaw 3 times decided to wait till after season to see if I like it better than wrist release. Found it hard to hook onto string when in a hurry. Have shot at many deer more than once. It seems like it would be hard to get a second shot. Arrow out of quiver nock on string flip up rest then try to hook release back to string without making much movement or noise. The Shootoff was tough I’m sure there are some that aren’t as hard to hook to string. Hard to do but the few times I didn’t hit myself I did like the anchor better seemed easier to get it in the same place every time. I started a thread on AT about trying a Thumb release and most people came back with you have to move peep up but DL stays the same. Two guys said they use both and don’t change setup at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back