• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Giant Scrape

PJC

This scrape is the size of a car hood. It's already right by a setup so I'm good there. I'm wondering if I should put a dripper above it and if that will get it some more action.
60e45337e6e1c8ed671e524c9029c926.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I'm not as experienced a deer hunter and I've never used scents. Your advise makes perfect sense. I'll wait now for the right wind.

Thanks guys. I'm not as experienced a deer hunter and I've never used scents. Your advise makes perfect sense. I'll wait now for the right wind.

Im no expert on scrapes, but i like to be setup down wind from the scrape. Bucks usually scent check them and come into them from downwind.

I agree with @ricky racer. Don't mess with it. Hunt it when you have the right conditions. I used to ignore scrapes years ago because I read too many magazines about bucks hitting them at night. That all changed after watching a video by John Eberhart where he talked about primary scrapes. I've since had a lot of success hunting on the downwind side of primary scrapes. Good luck to you!

I wouldn’t hang a drip

If it’s being hit, I’d leave it alone

I’d just hunt it

Agreed, no scents, if they don’t recognize a common scent, it’s a deterrent.

You close to bedding in that setup?

Reactions: PJC
Get in there one afternoon with a good wind during a light rain & often times bucks will hit them after rain to freshen them up

Reactions: PJC
Get in there one afternoon with a good wind during a light rain & often times bucks will hit them after rain to freshen them up

I'll keep that in mind. It's supposed to rain all night and tomorrow morning until mid afternoon. Good wind. Now I just have to get out of a commitment.

I'll keep that in mind. It's supposed to rain all night and tomorrow morning until mid afternoon. Good wind. Now I just have to get out of a commitment.

If deer season was open before you committed to said situation then easy out. “ I’m a bow hunter”. Enough said we all understand ;)

PJC

I noticed your post was from Friday.

The picture doesn't show what is to the right hand side of the scrapes. Is that a crop field and if so is it in standing corn or a short crop like soybeans or alfalfa. If it's in standing corn the likelihood of a mature buck hitting it during daylight is relatively good, however if it's along a short crop field and you're in a heavily hunted area the likelihood of a daytime visit by a mature buck (subordinate bucks will hit it) is much less likely due to the lack of perimeter exit security cover and it being exposed to an open field to the right. If the field is standing corn the scrapes need to be hunted prior to the corn being cut as once the corn is cut the scrapes will revert to likely only being visited by a mature buck during the security of darkness due to the scrapes being exposed to the short cut cornfield.

If to the right side there is a tall weed field or an area of brush where deer may bed in, then I would hunt the scrapes one time now when the wind is right for whatever tree you're in and then I would leave them alone until late October (pre-rut) before hunting again and my first hunt there would be an evening hunt and I would leave my stuff in the tree and hunt again the next morning.

There is no better place to hunt than over an active scrape area if the scrapes have perimeter security cover and adequate transition cover to a known bedding area which standing corn is and tall weed fields and brush are.

I must say that it's too bad you have to hunt the wind. There are ways that wind can become irrelevant when hunting and if you want to know how send me a simple scent control request to: deerjohn51@gmail.com

NOT

If you're trying to kill a mature buck, never piss in a scrape.

you have more years deer hunting than I do alive so I will take your word for it. But i've been hearing of lots of guys having bucks hitting scrapes on camera after they piss in them. Not a tactic I would use or even do my own study. Something about after it dries all they smell is the ammonia so they can't distinguish our piss vs their piss.

Last edited:
you have more years deer hunting than I do alive so I will take your word for it. But i've been hearing of lots of guys having bucks hitting scrapes on camera after they piss in them. Not a tactic I would use or even do my own study. Something about after it dries all they smell is the ammonia so they can't distinguish our piss vs their piss.

The problem is, even if they can’t distinguish the different between ours and there’s after it turns to ammonia, which I don’t know if I agree with anyway............that hunter has now left scent on the ground by being in the vicinity of a scrape he just pissed on. Even if a deer isn’t spooked by the urine, the human scent on the ground all around it will do the trick.

There are all these gimmicks and products out there claiming to attract deer. I have completely written them all off. Too many times have I seen a buck hit a marketed scent, stop dead cold, and leave the area. Does the stuff work, yeah maybe, but I would say 98% of the time if it does, the buck is under 3 years old.

That being said, you found a great potential hunting location with that scrape, leave it as such. Multiple bucks will work it if it’s a primary, let them do it. You should not have to manipulate the scrape in any way. Use what the deer have created to your advantage and be as minimally invasive as possible.

The problem is, even if they can’t distinguish the different between ours and there’s after it turns to ammonia, which I don’t know if I agree with anyway............that hunter has now left scent on the ground by being in the vicinity of a scrape he just pissed on. Even if a deer isn’t spooked by the urine, the human scent on the ground all around it will do the trick.

for sure, I haven't done the studies. Just quoting what has been buzzing around the hunting community. I personally wouldn't risk it either

PJC

I noticed your post was from Friday.

The picture doesn't show what is to the right hand side of the scrapes. Is that a crop field and if so is it in standing corn or a short crop like soybeans or alfalfa. If it's in standing corn the likelihood of a mature buck hitting it during daylight is relatively good, however if it's along a short crop field and you're in a heavily hunted area the likelihood of a daytime visit by a mature buck (subordinate bucks will hit it) is much less likely due to the lack of perimeter exit security cover and it being exposed to an open field to the right. If the field is standing corn the scrapes need to be hunted prior to the corn being cut as once the corn is cut the scrapes will revert to likely only being visited by a mature buck during the security of darkness due to the scrapes being exposed to the short cut cornfield.

If to the right side there is a tall weed field or an area of brush where deer may bed in, then I would hunt the scrapes one time now when the wind is right for whatever tree you're in and then I would leave them alone until late October (pre-rut) before hunting again and my first hunt there would be an evening hunt and I would leave my stuff in the tree and hunt again the next morning.

There is no better place to hunt than over an active scrape area if the scrapes have perimeter security cover and adequate transition cover to a known bedding area which standing corn is and tall weed fields and brush are.

I must say that it's too bad you have to hunt the wind. There are ways that wind can become irrelevant when hunting and if you want to know how send me a simple scent control request to: deerjohn51@gmail.com

It has good cover around it.
Sorry, I can't afford ScentLoc.

Back