• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from NC

Dewayne

Hey guys/gals thanks for the add. I have developed an interest in saddle hunting and figured this would be a good place to start.

Dewayne

Wow! Thanks for the welcome. If you don’t me asking what sparked your interest in saddle hunting? I’ve been using a LW hang on for the past several years and I have no issues with it. What I do see about the saddle is it looks more efficient, the LW isn’t hard to set up but it’s difficult for me to do in one trip up the tree. Also, the LW isn’t heavy in comparison to a climber but there is still the bulk factor.

Welcome from Louisiana! My interest in saddle hunting started from the mobility aspect. I can change trees quickly and quietly in the same hunt if needed.
Yeah I’ve thought about that too. I know guys do it with hangons but it seems like you could do it faster and quieter with a saddle.

Welcome from Huntersville. Good to see another hunter from the tarheel state (or Wolfpack or blue devil or pirate or deacon state)
Im actually a transplant from Alabama. I retired from the Army a few months ago and we are still here. It if I had to pick I pull for the Wolfpack.

Welcome from Maryland! I started in an effort to reduce weight & bulk to my run & gun setup. But now I’d be unlikely to go back to a treestand. Safety & comfort were biggest for me.

Welcome from Maryland! I started in an effort to reduce weight & bulk to my run & gun setup. But now I’d be unlikely to go back to a treestand. Safety & comfort were biggest for me.
Im big on safety and comfort as well and at 240lbs I’m not a small guy. The weight is not really an issue even with my LW hang on and three sticks I’m 15-20lbs range. That weight isn’t bad since I’m not hiking miles through the mountains and probably will not be. I feel safe in stand as well if the platform broke loose I still have my harness, with my lineman’s belt if I need it and I can always climb down my sticks.

Wow! Thanks for the welcome. If you don’t me asking what sparked your interest in saddle hunting? I’ve been using a LW hang on for the past several years and I have no issues with it. What I do see about the saddle is it looks more efficient, the LW isn’t hard to set up but it’s difficult for me to do in one trip up the tree. Also, the LW isn’t heavy in comparison to a climber but there is still the bulk factor.

Welcome to the board. I got into saddle hunting after spending a few seasons with a climber. I liked the mobility but just got sick of dealing with the extra weight, noise and limitations of trees I could climb.

Welcome from just north of the Raleigh area....You've got to be a good guy if you like the Wolfpack!....

Transitioning to saddle will be easy for you since you've been doing mobile setups with hang on stands...

Back