• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New guy from Southern Maryland

bob1sh

Howdy, my name is Zach. I’m 33 years old, originally from Tampa, FL. Grew up fishing and never hunted. I’m active duty Navy and just spent the last six years in Hawaii. We’ve recently been relocated to Southern Maryland and I have wanted to start hunting ever since we found we were moving here. I had never shot a bow before and a neighbor was out shooting his and asked if I wanted to try it. I said yes and after that first shot, I haven’t gone a day without shooting my bow. I absolutely love it. I have finished the online portion of my hunter’s safety course, just waiting for this virus to allow the field day portion to open back up.

I spent more hours than I care to know on YouTube and the internet researching tree stands and saddles and decided to just dive head first into saddles for the safety aspect primarily. I purchased this custom kit through Tethrd: Phantom saddle, Predator stand, Tethrd lineman belt and tree tether, SYS Hauler ES, recliner, and HYS strap. I didn’t realize until after I made my purchase that they sell the Ropeman 1 Ascenders so I will be back for those. I also personally want to thank Tethrd for their military discount, that was an incredible gift.

I didn’t grow up with any hunting influence, all men in my family were into sports and I thoroughly enjoyed sports growing up. However, I have a two year old son now and with the way education, sports, and society are going.. I’d rather spend my free time with him in the woods and I haven’t hunted a day yet in my life. In Maryland, we can bow hunt from the first week in September through January 31st and then there’s spring turkey.

I apologize for the long post, I’m actually a man of few words so I’m not sure where this came from. But, I’ve lurked here for months now and since I’ve now made my saddle purchase I wanted to tell someone about it. I don’t have any hunting buddies yet and I’m sure my wife is already sick of me talking about it!

sup man! I'm from Central va but I work in Gainesville area. If you havent already, check out Hoffman archery. Farron is a good dude. He has helped me a lot during my archery and hunting journey

Welcome from SE Wisconsin. There are a lot of hunters who started late in life. There are a lot of resources out there.

The best advice I can tell you is to spend at least 4 hours scouting for every hour of hunting. Learn to read topo maps and aerial photos for different hot spots. Then go out and put boots on the ground.

Research "beast" tactics on here and that would help get you started.

Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Welcome (just outside of Baltimore) !! There’s couple guys on eastern shore here. I’d be happy to meet up 1/2 way or something if you need help getting your setup dialed in. Also have always wanted to hunt sika deer & plan on getting that going this fall, so might not be to far from you. Thx for your service from another squid!

Welcome. I'm originally fro. The Maryland's Eastern Shore from the Cambridge area. Still come back every year for whitetail/sika season. It is an amazing area for hunting with tons of public floating around. I am in the Air Force now and still trying to make my way back to Dover eventually. I miss the area way more than I should.

Thanks guys, good info and education. I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond.

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Former Devil Doc here. Good intro. Hit up the newbie section, lots of good info there. Don't be afraid to ask questions, lots of knowledgeable folks here and you won't get mocked for asking.

Welcome from PA. I’m 34 and just starting hunting this year also. You’re lucky to be close to sika deer. I want to hunt those one day.

Welcome from Tennessee. I’m also a late blooming adult hunter. @Homebrew454 gave you some great advice. I wish my friends told me that before my first season 2 years ago. Since then I’ve spent significantly more time scouting. It feels just like hunting anyway. Just hunting for deer sign instead of deer.

Welcome from Salisbury Maryland. I live on the Eastern shore, close to Ocean city Maryland. Hunting here in Maryland is great. I am new to the saddle game myself, just starting this year.

Back