• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New Member from Northern KY

Jebster

New to saddlehunting, this will be my first year and really looking forward to it.

I am originally from WV but I have lived and hunted in Northern Kentucky for 15 yrs. Before that it was southwestern Virginia. This fall I have the privilege of getting to hunt some private property in one of the archery-only county’s in Southern WV. Scoped the place out in January, lots of great sign but the choice spots are 500’-600’ climb so I need to pack light. Saddlehunting is a good fit.

I bought my first saddle recently, H2 saddle, nice build quality. Don’t care for the J hooks on the leg straps and the belt cannot be adjusted when on me. Other than that pretty nice, seems really comfortable.

Still figuring out how to set bridge length vs prusik placement on tether vs prussick length

I shot from it for the first time Wednesday, gonna take some getting used to! Going to do a lot of shooting between now and season. I don’t have a proper platform so just to practice a little I shot from my trusty Summit aluminum climber platform (awesome stand for 20 years) near ground level just and that’s a no go for sure. I didn’t think it would. Next step is platform.

Anyway I’ve looked throughout the site and there’s a ton of great info, this is the right place! Looking forward to learning and sharing.

Welcome from KS! Def lots of great threads going on about current platforms out right now. Good luck!

Welcome. There are many great options for hanging out in trees. Plenty of options on places to put your feet also. I’m a ros guy for most of my hunts. I’ve got a predator platform and a hand climber. I use the predator especially if I know my tree for the morning is a leaner or contain some other feature that I feel will cause comfort issues.
Good luck. Enjoy the journey. Practice until shooting 360 is smooth and automatic.

Welcome form PA! Sounds like your well on your way. Keep practicing. You prob will change your set up few times before season starts lol I have and just started in January.

Back