• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New option for saddle

kyler1945

SH Member
I've been trying to make this work, but paying 100-200.00 for having a custom lifting sling made just didn't make sense.

My issue with the sit drag is same for everyone - the fabric folds under our weight, putting all the pressure on the two straps. The foam pads help, but create more to carry.

I've got one of these on it's way. It's Two-ply, 10" wide, 36" long. i'm hopeful my weight is spread more evenly across the webbing, and I won't need a foam pad.

Oh, and if I ever need to move something that weighs 60,000lbs, i'm in business.

The plan is to sew a quick camo sleeve for it, and i'm in business.

By the way - it was 25.00...

71Ib-dBC4bL._SL1279_.jpg

I've been trying to make this work, but paying 100-200.00 for having a custom lifting sling made just didn't make sense.

My issue with the sit drag is same for everyone - the fabric folds under our weight, putting all the pressure on the two straps. The foam pads help, but create more to carry.

I've got one of these on it's way. It's Two-ply, 10" wide, 36" long. i'm hopeful my weight is spread more evenly across the webbing, and I won't need a foam pad.

Oh, and if I ever need to move something that weighs 60,000lbs, i'm in business.

The plan is to sew a quick camo sleeve for it, and i'm in business.

By the way - it was 25.00...

View attachment 2385
Do you have a link to that sling...?

Looks like a yellow sitdrag, but a bit more beef.

Looks like a yellow sitdrag, but a bit more beef.

Yeh same concept, except with a sit drag, all my weight is on the two straps. I'm bypassing the cloth and 2 - 1.75" straps for one big 10" strap. I'm hoping it's better at spreading load across the entire thing.

It might be heavy. If so, I also ordered one of these, only 13.00...

71IYBf3bpGL._SL1500_.jpg

It's only rated for the single straps (3000) I think. I'm concerned with this one cupping up and creating pressure points. Either way, we will use them at work, so if they don't work for saddle, they'll work for work!

Last edited:
Cool!!!! Good luck, I'm always pulling for my saddle brethren!!!!!

I still say the hammock mock up I made was the most comfortable as far as pressure point distribution. It had give to it and a large cradle area. I wish I had time to tinker with it again. Everything I own is still boxed up in storage.

That one is single ply, and 8" wide. The one I ordered is probably double the weight if I had to guess. That may be it's downfall.

I hesitated to respond with the link on amazon, because when I ordered the ones I posted, and went back to get the link for you guys, they were no longer prime eligible, in stock, and the price went up significantly.

I wanted to see it worked out well, and email the seller before I put everyone on the charge.

They come in Wednesday I believe.

Well I ordered one. I guess for ten bucks it gives a guy something to play with and possibly come up with new ideas. If not it was still only ten bucks.

I saw those when I was looking to DIY a saddle for fun. At the end of the day my thought was I'll let the experts build my saddle. First time saddler with the kestrel I didn't want to chance anything.

Price now $98 when I click the link

This is why I wanted to try it out and give some feedback before posting links. wanted to save everyone the time and trouble.

If it works well for our purposes, we can get with seller to find out why price changes.

On ebay, there is a STREN-FLEX WB1-910-3 Cargo Basket Sling which is 3'L x 10"W and has a 32,000# capacity......$61. Looks like a yellow SitDrag on steroids! :eek:

well,

This one arrived. Strapped to a post in the shop and hung for 15 minutes.

Initial thoughts:

-significantly more comfortable on its own than sit drag on its own.
- about double or more the weight of the sit drag on its own, same weight as sit drag when I carry two layers of foam padding (typical for me).
- slightly less packable than sit drag with no padding, slightly more packable than sit drag with a layer of foam.
- the total length is 36", not the webbing part. This is dialed in exactly for me, but bigger guys may want to go with the 4'
-comfort comparable to sit drag with three layers of foam. I don't carry this hunting but did try it out and it completely removed pressure points. However, I give it a slight nod over the SD because the surface area is larger and the weight is more spread out.

Honestly, this has a ton of potential. The weight is distributed evenly across the whole piece of webbing. I did see a slight amount of cupping right under the loops, but it was minimal. I think I know an easy, lightweight fix to this. just bolt some flat bar across the two edges of the sling where the loops are sewn in. they'll keep the load distributed completely across the whole sling. would probably add 6-8oz if steel, 4-5 if aluminum.

I'm excited for the first one I posted to come in tomorrow.

Overall theme - I could hunt out of this as is with a little camo fabric sleeve sewn on. I think camo fleece doubled up and then sewn around would make this the bees knees.

Stay tuned if I mod it any further i'll post. But for 15.00 it's worth it. It proves out my theory that all webbing is nice because it distributes the load across whole sling. Same concept as using super heavy duty fabrics of the commercial saddles.

slingseat.jpg

well,

This one arrived. Strapped to a post in the shop and hung for 15 minutes.

Initial thoughts:

-significantly more comfortable on its own than sit drag on its own.
- about double or more the weight of the sit drag on its own, same weight as sit drag when I carry two layers of foam padding (typical for me).
- slightly less packable than sit drag with no padding, slightly more packable than sit drag with a layer of foam.
- the total length is 36", not the webbing part. This is dialed in exactly for me, but bigger guys may want to go with the 4'
-comfort comparable to sit drag with three layers of foam. I don't carry this hunting but did try it out and it completely removed pressure points. However, I give it a slight nod over the SD because the surface area is larger and the weight is more spread out.

Honestly, this has a ton of potential. The weight is distributed evenly across the whole piece of webbing. I did see a slight amount of cupping right under the loops, but it was minimal. I think I know an easy, lightweight fix to this. just bolt some flat bar across the two edges of the sling where the loops are sewn in. they'll keep the load distributed completely across the whole sling. would probably add 6-8oz if steel, 4-5 if aluminum.

I'm excited for the first one I posted to come in tomorrow.

Overall theme - I could hunt out of this as is with a little camo fabric sleeve sewn on. I think camo fleece doubled up and then sewn around would make this the bees knees.

Stay tuned if I mod it any further i'll post. But for 15.00 it's worth it. It proves out my theory that all webbing is nice because it distributes the load across whole sling. Same concept as using super heavy duty fabrics of the commercial saddles.

View attachment 2407

Kyler has been bitten by the bug...!!!

Next thing ya know you'll have a tree trunk in your shop to hang from too....
And all sorts of climbing related gadgets...

The pricing is so whacky on these slings. I got on grainger, and this one is 100.00. But they have the 3' x8" for 19.00...makes no sense.

Anyways, I put another 30 minutes sitting in it. I'll have a fleece and regular cotton camo wrap made up. This is definitely part of the arsenal.

I hope you guys can track some down. i'll keep an eye out...

This is the description on amazon of the one I have:

Stren-Flex LB1-912-3 Type 9 Light Duty Nylon Cargo Basket Web Sling, 1 Ply, 3000 lbs Basket Hitch Capacity, 3' Length x 12" Width, Yellow

Back