• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New saddle build

swampsnyper

Polyester webbing
Thinking of getting some hammock ripstop tarp material for the cloth cover. They make a soft one that I think may be quiet. I'll have to order a piece to see.
4beb6a7aefc2662553600ce3ad854e6c.jpg

That's awesome man. I have a handful of these like this that I tried to make. But somehow I always made them lopsided and they weren't all that comfy because of it. That's why I did the Anderson sling mod. Extremely lightweight and cradles you in all the right places. And I still have one un- modified just in case.
I have a feeling you're better at making stuff like that than I Am. Can't wait to see your finished product

Shaun.

That looks really good!! I've been thinking about trying my own just haven't got around to it. You sew it all yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you thought about sports netting for the material? Lightweight, string and allows air to flow... also dries fast so you can wash it

DaveT1963 said:
Have you thought about sports netting for the material? Lightweight, string and allows air to flow... also dries fast so you can wash it
Not sure what exactly that is. I thought about that mesh like the millennium seats. That would give it some rigidity and help with comfort. Just not sure where to purchase.

g2outdoors said:
Nicely done. Specs? Materials? Process?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Basically the same as my modified sitdrag but with polyester webbing and #69 bonded nylon thread. Still have the belt to add with aluminum cobra buckle.

flinginairos said:
That looks really good!! I've been thinking about trying my own just haven't got around to it. You sew it all yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes

I had a net maker make me a seat for my hammock seat and I wouldn't trade it for hunting. Completely dead quiet, can be dyed to color, lightweight, incredible strong and resists mildew and rot. I am not sure it will do much past what you already have. I sure wish I had the gift and desire to sew my own - just can't get into it. I am still hoping the new tribe guys come out with a minimalist saddle. I would sigh any waiver they want just to have them stitch it up :)

Re: RE: Re: New saddle build

DaveT1963 said:
I had a net maker make me a seat for my hammock seat and I wouldn't trade it for hunting. Completely dead quiet, can be dyed to color, lightweight, incredible strong and resists mildew and rot. I am not sure it will do much past what you already have. I sure wish I had the gift and desire to sew my own - just can't get into it. I am still hoping the new tribe guys come out with a minimalist saddle. I would sigh any waiver they want just to have them stitch it up :)
Me too. But it would have to be WAY LIGHTER and smaller than my aero

Shaun.

DaveT1963 said:
I've been looking at DIY hammocks and actually ordered my material to make one. I also have an idea for using the Alpine BOD harness that attaches to a mini hammock at your hips. Just a little slack between the hammock saddle and the harness so that you wear the harness with no pressure on it and your hammock saddle works just like the sitdrag with the belt being the BOD harness but in the case you fall, the BOD harness holds your weight instead of the saddle belt sliding up your gut. The saddle and harness are connected to your bridge. May not work out the way I'm thinking once I get into building it, but its a plan.

DaveT1963 said:

Was wondering where you got the sports netting?I have look some and been unable to find something I like.

Christensen's net co was who I had make my custom seat - they had a product called sports netting

swampsnyper said:
DaveT1963 said:
I've been looking at DIY hammocks and actually ordered my material to make one. I also have an idea for using the Alpine BOD harness that attaches to a mini hammock at your hips. Just a little slack between the hammock saddle and the harness so that you wear the harness with no pressure on it and your hammock saddle works just like the sitdrag with the belt being the BOD harness but in the case you fall, the BOD harness holds your weight instead of the saddle belt sliding up your gut. The saddle and harness are connected to your bridge. May not work out the way I'm thinking once I get into building it, but its a plan.
That's sorta how I tried to use the sit drag. With the rock harness and with other harnesses

Shaun.

redsquirrel said:
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Mil-Spec-Fabrics-Hardware/Mil-Spec-Heavyweight-Mesh-Fabric

My custom saddle that I've been working on is built with this mesh. Its very quiet and I'm happy with it for the purpose. Just need to get the whole saddle part worked out lol.
Just remembered I got some of that stuff from when I lined the inside of my gillie suit.

swampsnyper said:
redsquirrel said:
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Mil-Spec-Fabrics-Hardware/Mil-Spec-Heavyweight-Mesh-Fabric

My custom saddle that I've been working on is built with this mesh. Its very quiet and I'm happy with it for the purpose. Just need to get the whole saddle part worked out lol.
Just remembered I got some of that stuff from when I lined the inside of my gillie suit.

Nice! Try it out! Worst case scenario, you start over! :lol:

I ordered that vinyl coated polyester mesh. It won't hold any water and its stiffer. I want some stiffness to the material for support.

swampsnyper said:
I ordered that vinyl coated polyester mesh. It won't hold any water and its stiffer. I want some stiffness to the material for support.
Definitely let us know how that material works out.
I was thinking of putting the same camo cloth on my bare minimum sling that I put on the first serious attempt (essdub sling) but the cloth doesn't add any stiffness at all and I have questions about it's durability

Shaun.

Back