• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New string build.

Halfstep

I just got thru building a new set of string/cables for a Hoyt CRX32. I installed them and also tuned the bow. I used BCY Mercury 32 strand green/brown and used Brownell .018 Bullwhip white serving for the end serving. The white serving turns clears once applied under proper tension and with the use of a clarifier. I also used some Angel Majesty .021 for the center serving. I used some Gibbs super loop rope for the string loop.

Attachments

• hoyt strings crx32 1.jpg
    hoyt strings crx32 1.jpg
    231.7 KB · Views: 22
  • hoyt strings crx32 3.jpg
    hoyt strings crx32 3.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 23
  • hoyt strings crx32 5.jpg
    hoyt strings crx32 5.jpg
    255.4 KB · Views: 21
  • hoyt strings crx32 6.jpg
    hoyt strings crx32 6.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 22
Looks good. Only thing I'm not sure about is that serving turning clear. Does it make it hard to see serving damage or separation? Otherwise I like the clear idea.

Looks good. Only thing I'm not sure about is that serving turning clear. Does it make it hard to see serving damage or separation? Otherwise I like the clear idea.

Using white serving that turns clear can blend in very well and make it harder to see but it looks good, and it always matches the strings. This reduces the inventory on serving colors one has to keep on hand. If serving is applied properly, there is no separation. Now, there are some cam designs that are known to be hard on serving and have tight radiuses. When I encounter these situations, I use Angle Majesty serving as it really grips the string tightly and it is very durable. But under most circumstances, regular end serving like Brownell Bullwhip or BCY 3D or Halo works well.

One of many things to consider about building strings is too be aware of the cam groove size and to build the string the right diameter to fit the groove properly. Using the right strand count and serving diameter to get the right string diameter. If the string is too fat, it will cram itself into the groove and looks okay, but it causes excessive serving separation and wear. Also, a fat string will not seat as deep as it needs, and this will affect the finished lengths enough to alter draw length and poundage. Some bow manufactures have wider cams and larger grooves, and some have narrow cams with smaller grooves. Usually, I keep the finished diameter string between .100 and .110 and this works well for most bows.

Most of my bow work is local business. I like to build the string/cables and install them myself and tune the bow myself. This insures it is done right. I am a lefty, and most people are right-handed, so I have a Spot Hog Hooter Shooter that I use the shoot the bow from for tuning. I mainly stock string material and serving material colors that are camo color. Serving material is very expensive these days and the best way to buy it is in large 1-pound spools which is expensive but a lot cheaper per foot than buying those small jig size spools.

Using white serving that turns clear can blend in very well and make it harder to see but it looks good, and it always matches the strings. This reduces the inventory on serving colors one has to keep on hand. If serving is applied properly, there is no separation. Now, there are some cam designs that are known to be hard on serving and have tight radiuses. When I encounter these situations, I use Angle Majesty serving as it really grips the string tightly and it is very durable. But under most circumstances, regular end serving like Brownell Bullwhip or BCY 3D or Halo works well.

One of many things to consider about building strings is too be aware of the cam groove size and to build the string the right diameter to fit the groove properly. Using the right strand count and serving diameter to get the right string diameter. If the string is too fat, it will cram itself into the groove and looks okay, but it causes excessive serving separation and wear. Also, a fat string will not seat as deep as it needs, and this will affect the finished lengths enough to alter draw length and poundage. Some bow manufactures have wider cams and larger grooves, and some have narrow cams with smaller grooves. Usually, I keep the finished diameter string between .100 and .110 and this works well for most bows.

Most of my bow work is local business. I like to build the string/cables and install them myself and tune the bow myself. This insures it is done right. I am a lefty, and most people are right-handed, so I have a Spot Hog Hooter Shooter that I use the shoot the bow from for tuning. I mainly stock string material and serving material colors that are camo color. Serving material is very expensive these days and the best way to buy it is in large 1-pound spools which is expensive but a lot cheaper per foot than buying those small jig size spools.
How do you go about finding serving size and steand count information for a certain bow?

How do you go about finding serving size and steand count information for a certain bow?

Different string materials have different stand diameters like 452x takes 20-24 strands and will I usually use 24 strands with .015 end serving. Mercury takes 32-34 strand and I use 32 strands with .018 end serving. The string material manufacturer like BCY, will post some info on strand count range for trad and compound bows. Some bow manufacturers are more generous than others and have a wider cam groove. I usually use .018 or .015 serving size depending on the bow cam groove width. Center serving can range from .018 to .026 depending on string material/strand count/nock size and the actual center serving size. You want a proper nock fit so it will tune a lot easier, and you have to be careful and not get an overly tight fit. Some nocks have an option for a large groove or small groove.

When building a new set of strings, I will use some calipers and measure the old string diameter and observe how the old serving held up and its wear pattern. And from experience I have learned what works well. With some bows, you can build a beefier string and be fine but with other bows, you have to keep the string at standard diameter.

I work on a wide range of bows from older bows to newer bows and the over the years, string materials and serving materials have changed so bow manufacturers have also changed their cam groove sizes as materials have improved. Manufacturers are using stronger aluminum allowing for thinner, lighter cams making for faster speeds with less felt vibration so manufacturers. Some cam designs have very little meat left on the bone and are pushing the envelope of integrity. Using the right materials and right size is important.

It is very important to use the right materials and right string specs on Xbows or catastrophic failure can soon follow. Today's Xbows are under a lot of stress due to the high poundage and light arrow weights.

Back