• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Rappelling how should I get equipment

RandomHero18

Hey guys, I really want to try out rappelling down after a hunt but I don't have any of the equipment. I do have an XOP edge platform that I am going to try and sell to be able to pay for it (Just had my first kid money is tight). My question is should I try to find someone that is willing to trade for a rappelling "Kit" or would it be better to piece it together myself, still trying to figure out what all I need. Also any tips you guys have for safe budget options. Thank You!

35-40' of rope, I use 9mm Canyon, figure 8, autoblock prusik cord...don't really need any more than that assuming you've got some carabiners already. Not expensive at all and you can get it all from doublesteps.com (DanO). Keep it simple and watch the youtube videos on rappelling with the 8. To me, much safer and easier than climbing back down especially if using aiders. Have fun!

Easternwoods outdoors sells kits, but like mentioned above 30-40 feet of rope, a figure 8, couple carabiners and a prussic you are good. Paracord or dyneema for pull down rope.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

If you just want to try it I'd guess there's a member on here close enough that would let you try it... I'm in MD outside DC, not sure where you're at.

In in KC mo not sure if anyone is around or not
Hit up the saddle hunter map

I use a Black Diamond ATC that was less than 20 on Amazon. It’s so ez to use. I have a prussik just below it for a brake. I also got the canyon rope ($58 for 40’) off EWO…….you don’t need that much, but you need good rope. A figure 8 is also not very expensive and I think you can lock it, but I’d still have a brake on it .

I use a Black Diamond ATC that was less than 20 on Amazon. It’s so ez to use. I have a prussik just below it for a brake. I also got the canyon rope ($58 for 40’) off EWO…….you don’t need that much, but you need good rope. A figure 8 is also not very expensive and I think you can lock it, but I’d still have a brake on it .
I've used the ATC also and works great and simple to use but prefer the 8 because it lays flat in the zippered section of my roll pouch so takes less space. It's just fun to try out different methods until you find the one that's the best fit for you.

I’m in El Dorado, KS and have several ropes and descenders you are more than welcome to try out sometime.

I have: oplux and Canyon CIV ropes and a safegaurd, black Diamond AtC and a grivel 2x8.

There is also a KC Area Sadlde hunters group on Facebook if you are on there. Several good guys that are happy to share info and let try out their gear.

Ditto what others said. 35-40’ rope, properly sized accessory cord for your friction hitch, a few carabiners, and you’re good. Learn a variety of the munter hitch on a carabiner and you’re set. Or, for $15-20, add a Black Diamond Figure 8 and it’s even easier.

Ditto what others said. 35-40’ rope, properly sized accessory cord for your friction hitch, a few carabiners, and you’re good. Learn a variety of the munter hitch on a carabiner and you’re set. Or, for $15-20, add a Black Diamond Figure 8 and it’s even easier.
this

I'd also add a back-up method for when you drop your primary piece of equipment. I have been carrying the Black Diamond ATC in my pack for a few years and got to use it last week when I dropped my Madrock Safeguard from height while setting up my rappel rope.

I’m in El Dorado, KS and have several ropes and descenders you are more than welcome to try out sometime.

I have: oplux and Canyon CIV ropes and a safegaurd, black Diamond AtC and a grivel 2x8.

There is also a KC Area Sadlde hunters group on Facebook if you are on there. Several good guys that are happy to share info and let try out their gear.
I'm not yet but I'll check it out

40’ of rope, generally 8 or 9mm, that’s your choice. Figure eight descender, cheap, effective, a couple are made in the USA so they aren’t stuck on a boat out in the ocean somewhere. TRC hitch cord, to hold your weight(can be done without it but makes it easier with it) also cheap and effective. Quicklink, also pretty cheap, there’s other methods but that’s usually what everyone goes with. Pull down cord, I use 550 without issues but alot of guys like Dynaglide, I just had 550 on hand already and that’s pretty much it. Just remember, rappelling is just a very controlled fall, all your doing is making sure it doesn’t get away from you.

Thanks guys started making a list and seems doable once I sell my platform. The problem I'm having now is finding somewhere that has the rope in stock. But thank you all for your input it was extremely helpful!

Thanks guys started making a list and seems doable once I sell my platform. The problem I'm having now is finding somewhere that has the rope in stock. But thank you all for your input it was extremely helpful!

EWO had HTP in stock this morning

You're right but I have only heard of canyon ripe so that's what I was looking at what's the difference with HTP not sure what to be looking for I guess

Ita really 6 of one, half dozen of the other. I like the mantle on the HTP for rappelling cause it seems to be smoother to me, that’s just my opinion though

Back