• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to saddle hunting - where do I hang my bag?

MJH

SH Member
Guys,
I am a tree climber hunter, now converting over to a saddle. With my climber I have a system where I hang my bag so that I can access all the stuff I need as I hunt. I have two questions.

1. Where & how should I hang my bag. I am right handed, and will be crossbow hunting. Should the bag be at, above or below me? On my right or left?

2. Normally I hike in with light clothing on, and additional layers in my bag. Once I am up in my climber, and cool off, I start layering up. My hikes in are fairly long and arduous. In a saddle, will I be able to add layers?

I hope these questions are too obvious or trivial.
Thanks from Canada
Go Leafs!

About knee level on the right side is where mine goes. I can reach it easily and get things I need. Bow hangs on the left side about eye level. Adding layers is no issue, at least for me it hasn't. I only add layers on my top half and it's no issue.

I was going to chime in, then I seen you were a leafs fan........
I’m out :smiley:

I hang my bag shoulder height (standing on my platform with linesman belt) at about the 2:30 or 3:00 o’clock position.

Thanks,
Boswell

About knee level on the right side is where mine goes. I can reach it easily and get things I need. Bow hangs on the left side about eye level. Adding layers is no issue, at least for me it hasn't. I only add layers on my top half and it's no issue.

OK thanks. In terms of layers, I did only mean tops not pants.

With the bag at knee level, it doesn't prevent you from rotating around the tree?

OK thanks. In terms of layers, I did only mean tops not pants.

With the bag at knee level, it doesn't prevent you from rotating around the tree?

I have a camera arm on that side anyways so I can't rotate that way much anyways. I use a platform so I can stand on it and can shoot to my right without rotating much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, that will get me started.
I sure hope this saddle gizmo is as good as my climber has been to me...

Boudreaux, I'll take your advise on saddle hunting but we will have to agree to disagree that you are any authority on ice hockey...

I put the top of my bag at knee to waist level from 1 o'clock - 2 o'clock. It's worked well for me thus far.

Considering walking around the tree...there aren't many scenarios that require you to go that way if you're a right handed shooter.

I put the top of my bag at knee to waist level from 1 o'clock - 2 o'clock. It's worked well for me thus far.

Considering walking around the tree...there aren't many scenarios that require you to go that way if you're a right handed shooter.

Ya, that makes sense at 1-2 o'clock.
With a crossbow, am I better off hanging it on the same side, or right in front of me at head height so i can deploy it either left or right?

With a crossbow, am I better off hanging it on the same side, or right in front of me at head height so i can deploy it either left or right?
I would hang it on your left (9-10 o'clock) at head height. It will interfere with your tether if you hang it right in front of you at 6 o'clock.

Sent from my Galaxy S8.

I do exactly the same but in the other side for lefty

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Guys,
I am a tree climber hunter, now converting over to a saddle. With my climber I have a system where I hang my bag so that I can access all the stuff I need as I hunt. I have two questions.

1. Where & how should I hang my bag. I am right handed, and will be crossbow hunting. Should the bag be at, above or below me? On my right or left?

2. Normally I hike in with light clothing on, and additional layers in my bag. Once I am up in my climber, and cool off, I start layering up. My hikes in are fairly long and arduous. In a saddle, will I be able to add layers?

I hope these questions are too obvious or trivial.
Thanks from Canada
Go Leafs!

Looks like the experts answered your question. That is now four of us from Ontario. Welcome. I hope the leafs beat Calgary tonight
009d7f04c9d8307741475cb03afef7a9.jpg

In tree in Huron county

Reactions: MJH
Looks like the experts answered your question. That is now four of us from Ontario. Welcome. I hope the leafs beat Calgary tonight
009d7f04c9d8307741475cb03afef7a9.jpg

In tree in Huron county

Thanks guys - this is starting to come together for me.
Much appreciated.

My father uses a tactical sling to hold his crossbow so it is always at the ready.

My father uses a tactical sling to hold his crossbow so it is always at the ready.

He uses a tactical sling while in the saddle? Do you know which one? How does he like it?

I have been considering getting one because I hate having my xbow hanging on the tree but, I wasn't sure how it would work in the saddle with the back band on.

I had rigged up a sling that attached to my bridge loop similar to what another poster did on this site but, without thinking about it I put the back band on after the sling. I then had a buck walk in on my right side and I realized I couldn't swing my xbow across to my right side because the sling was under the back band. Luckily it wasn't a shooter.

I'm a crossbow hunter also and I hang a EZ hanger on my right above my head that way the crossbow is easy access about shoulder level, if I rotate to the left I pull the cb with me that way it is always in easy reach.

I'm a crossbow hunter also and I hang a EZ hanger on my right above my head that way the crossbow is easy access about shoulder level, if I rotate to the left I pull the cb with me that way it is always in easy reach.

Do you set up to shoot to your right side? If I hang the xbow on my right side, I hate the extra movement of lifting the it across the bridge to shoot to my left side.

Do you set up to shoot to your right side? If I hang the xbow on my right side, I hate the extra movement of lifting the it across the bridge to shoot to my left side.
I set it up to pick up with my right hand and all I have to do is lay the bow over to my left to make the shot, I use a longer bridge and I kind of use it as a brace as I shoot to my left

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

He uses a tactical sling while in the saddle? Do you know which one? How does he like it?

I have been considering getting one because I hate having my xbow hanging on the tree but, I wasn't sure how it would work in the saddle with the back band on.

I had rigged up a sling that attached to my bridge loop similar to what another poster did on this site but, without thinking about it I put the back band on after the sling. I then had a buck walk in on my right side and I realized I couldn't swing my xbow across to my right side because the sling was under the back band. Luckily it wasn't a shooter.
Yes he uses a tactical sling in the saddle. I think it might be a cabelas model.

@hambone?

8dbd3e3f5a3948826eb6f050756b8025.jpg

I have an Excalibur Phoenix xbow and use a Cabelas xbow sling as seen in the pic. I use the loop ends not the swivels. One loop goes around the pistol grip. The other I extended with paracord to give me some extra length and attach it to the quiver mount and run it under the bow behind my shot trak camera. More in next post.

3110e06f07e1d62bcdb12215a5b0e7f9.jpg

I put the sling over my head with pad on my right shoulder and bow hanging to the left as in pic since I'm right handed. You can adjust how high or low you like it. I just raise it to my shoulder when needed. I also set up with where I expect the deer to be at my left or I front. Next post.

Back