• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to Saddle - Traditional bow shooters how?

Tedd

My Saddle should be here any day. I'm a traditional shooter. (60" RFDF longbow). Those of you who use traditional bows are there any tips and tricks to shooting? Any limitations? Can you cover shots all around you?
Thanks,
Tedd

It is totally doable. What I recommend is to get your saddle, attach it to a tree a foot off the ground and start shooting. Try every position and you will soon realize you will come up with techniques to pull them off. A platform for me makes it easier to shoot trad bows, but there definitely is some canting and learning to shoot with limb tips clearance issues. However, I don't really find it very difficult and no more so then shooting from a traditional stand. I could write paragraphs of what I have found to work - but the truth is you will learn more in one afternoon of just shooting from your saddle then I could communicate through writing.

I'm new at it also. My saddle should be here by mid March. I'm shooting a 62" Centaur and was wondering the same thing. Good thing is we'll have all summer to prepare.

I find it far more liberating than a traditional tree stand as far as clearance. Though, it is different than shooting from a standing position. It’s easier to short draw in my experience. Practice, practice, practice.

Dave is correct , you will find immediately what works for you once in the tree. I would figure out being comfortable first then start shooting ... I found I need to use a ring of steps vs a mini platform and using a ring of steps creates different angles of drawing than using a platform so much so that I went to a shorter recurve and 10 lbs less draw weight when I use the saddle but that is what worked for me to be accurate. Keep us posted , its a lot of fun , good luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back