• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to the Saddle world

JBrenner

I stumbled onto saddle hunting a few months ago, and I have been on here a ton trying to absorb information. I ended up ordering a 14 pack of Wild Edge steps, with the anticipation of using 3 as a platform. I also ordered a mantis a while back, seems like they are behind on the anticipated window for delivery of them. With the wild edge steps, they bulk of 14 of them is more than I expected, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. Do many people take all of them out for a hunt? I'm not sure how I feel yet about a knaider/swaider. I have yet to get up the tree with my steps yet, as I don't have my saddle yet; I was thinking about dragging around all 14 steps with me, at least until I am comfortable enough to try a knaider/swaider. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Welcome! Lots of us finding SaddleHunter together. I migrated over from The BEAST after too many recommendations to keep turning it down.

I'm keeping the BEAST sticks over Wild Edge, but thats just because the saddle, platform, accessories etc was enough of a punch in the gut for now :tearsofjoy:

I am going to use a knaider/swaider w/my sticks and attempt to go from 4 sticks to 3.

Welcome and good luck.

I stumbled onto saddle hunting a few months ago, and I have been on here a ton trying to absorb information. I ended up ordering a 14 pack of Wild Edge steps, with the anticipation of using 3 as a platform. I also ordered a mantis a while back, seems like they are behind on the anticipated window for delivery of them. With the wild edge steps, they bulk of 14 of them is more than I expected, but I wasn't really sure what to expect. Do many people take all of them out for a hunt? I'm not sure how I feel yet about a knaider/swaider. I have yet to get up the tree with my steps yet, as I don't have my saddle yet; I was thinking about dragging around all 14 steps with me, at least until I am comfortable enough to try a knaider/swaider. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.
Welcome from northern Michigan! There are several climbing options using the WE stepps that can help limit the number of steps required. Personally I use a modified Cain's method (https://saddlehunter.com/community/index.php?threads/modified-cains-method-for-we-stepps.13880/). This gets me about 3.5 feet per step so I'm at 21-22 ft with 7 steps. @Peterk1234's Knaider/Aider method will get you about 5 foot spacing between steps and @g2outdoors 5 step aider with stepps can get you 6-7 feet per step. They all will require a little practice to refine the climb but they will limit the number of steps you need to carry and the number of knots you need to tie on the way up (and untie on the way down). You should be able to find videos on all these methods here on the forum using the search tool and the member name/description provided. Good luck and enjoy the madness!

You have to find your own comfort level. How much weight and bulk do you want to carry? How long do you want to take to climb? What is your personal safety comfort zone? For me, I started with 8 steps, placing them about 20-24" apart. After a lot of experimenting and practice, I settled on a 5-step aider and 3 steps. It gets me up 21'. I'm comfortable and feel safe with this set up and I've cut my carry weight significantly. You will find great advice and information on this site, but in the end.....It's all about what's right for you. Don't be afraid to try different methods, but practice them before attempting to hunt. You will save yourself a ton of frustration that way. By the way, welcome from Arkansas.

Welcome! Lots of us finding SaddleHunter together. I migrated over from The BEAST after too many recommendations to keep turning it down.

I'm keeping the BEAST sticks over Wild Edge, but thats just because the saddle, platform, accessories etc was enough of a punch in the gut for now :tearsofjoy:

I am going to use a knaider/swaider w/my sticks and attempt to go from 4 sticks to 3.

Welcome and good luck.
You should definitely sell me that extra stick, I don’t want you carrying around all that extra weight......

Welcome to the site, I’d at least give the single aider a shot , you could cut the number of steps by at least 1/2. Also i was never a huge fan of 3 we steps as a platform. But play around w/ it & see what makes sense for you.....

Welcome from SE Wisconsin. I also use the WE steps. I just received my WE Perch and will use that as my platform with another step last platform height on bigger trees.

As for climbing with the WE steps it comes down to your comfort level. I used a knaider/swaider combo last year and was thinking of trying the 5 step aider. I also am getting started with SRT climbing.

You should run away from this site!!! It is having an adverse affect on my money!!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Welcome from MA. As folks have already said, there's a lot of good climbing methods using WE stepps. The key starts with a good tie on with the stepps, practice that, and then practice some more. I've been at it since last fall and i still go out nearly every day to practice tying on. don't worry about climbing right now, but get those stepps on solid, and you won't have to worry about any method you choose to climb. Again, Welcome and be safe.

Welcome to the site. Have fun. I've gone back to my small sticks w/aiders. But I've stolen an idea from @DaveT1963 with making it move able. That seems to be the most versatile setup and I keep going back to sticks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Welcome to the site. Have fun. I've gone back to my small sticks w/aiders. But I've stolen an idea from @DaveT1963 with making it move able. That seems to be the most versatile setup and I keep going back to sticks.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Got a link to that moveable stick aider?

I use the knaider only myself. That takes 7 steps to get to height. Swaider kicked out on me on wet trees, which was probably user error but I lost confidence. I was also worried that my hands would be too cold during the Wisconsin winter to use the wild edge steps, but I had no troubles with light leather gloves. This year's experimentation will be Boyne bowhunters take on the Cain method.
d4c28e53cc9d4a67c61c616fa8ff16ec.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I use the knaider only myself. That takes 7 steps to get to height. Swaider kicked out on me on wet trees, which was probably user error but I lost confidence. I was also worried that my hands would be too cold during the Wisconsin winter to use the wild edge steps, but I had no troubles with light leather gloves. This year's experimentation will be Boyne bowhunters take on the Cain method.
d4c28e53cc9d4a67c61c616fa8ff16ec.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Yeah, I want to like the long aiders but I just can't get comfortable climbing with them. I am most comfortable with Cain's method when I'm using the stepps.

Yeah, I want to like the long aiders but I just can't get comfortable climbing with them. I am most comfortable with Cain's method when I'm using the stepps.

I am planning to switch to the single moveable wider like @DaveT1963 this year. Having the bottom of the stick help support the side to side movement really stabilizes the wider. Also, my aides are pretty heavy with the schedule 80 flex tubing on them, so reducing wider weight is a pretty solid gain. Not to mention the clutter reduction of a single one instead of 3.

I am pushing more and more into properties where I can’t use my bolts, and I need to further streamline my stick process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am planning to switch to the single moveable wider like @DaveT1963 this year. Having the bottom of the stick help support the side to side movement really stabilizes the wider. Also, my aides are pretty heavy with the schedule 80 flex tubing on them, so reducing wider weight is a pretty solid gain. Not to mention the clutter reduction of a single one instead of 3.

I am pushing more and more into properties where I can’t use my bolts, and I need to further streamline my stick process.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I use a DaveT style aider on my single modded Hawk helium, again Dave T style, when I'm single sticking (probably 95% of my hunts). That thing works great on a stick but I don't really consider it to be a long aider since, as you pointed out, the stick helps support it. Right now and all of last season this is my preferred climbing method. I do use WE Stepps though when I'm heading to a spot where I know I have leaning tree to climb.

Where I run into long aider stability issues is when I'm trying to attach them to WE Stepps and they are hanging free. I'm just never sure they're not gonna kick out and leave me hanging sideways in the tree with a foot stuck in the aider. o_O Probably more of a worry than a real problem but I still struggle with them. I keep hoping I'll work it out with more practice.

Back