• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

New to trad.

MattMan81

SH Member
Hi my name is Matt. I'm new to traditional. Been bow hunting since I was 12. But some guy named @Red Beard posted this link about trad bow deals. Then I saw this thing @Vtbow posted a while ago. Now I am the owner of a new to me trad bow.
i can't wait to learn to shoot this thing so I can be an elitist and look down at wheeled bow hunters. lol. Totally joking.
But seriously this looks like fun. Probably be a few years before I feel good enough to hunt with it. Gonna try to get some of those books and take it slow.
But I know where a good support group is.

Hi my name is Matt. I'm new to traditional. Been bow hunting since I was 12. But some guy named @Red Beard posted this link about trad bow deals. Then I saw this thing @Vtbow posted a while ago. Now I am the owner of a new to me trad bow.
i can't wait to learn to shoot this thing so I can be an elitist and look down at wheeled bow hunters. lol. Totally joking.
But seriously this looks like fun. Probably be a few years before I feel good enough to hunt with it. Gonna try to get some of those books and take it slow.

If you are in need of a bow, I have a few (left or right) you can borrow (just one). Just cover shipping.

Well it looks like you made a good choice in spite of some dubious influences. :)

Welcome to the fun and frustration of shooting Trad.

Welcome to the upper echelon of masculinity. Just be mindful of the ankle biters(compounds) and bootlickers(crossguns) that will try to pull you back down. :laughing:

Welcome to the upper echelon of masculinity. Just be mindful of the ankle biters(compounds) and bootlickers(crossguns) that will try to pull you back down. :laughing:

Its a long journey, I still have not earn my man card yet because I can't pull back 80# without my form breaking up. I'll get there someday!

It’s a decision you’ll never regret. It shouldn’t take long to get good enough to hunt with your stick bow. Get real good at 15 yards and limit your shots.

Hunting with it is kind of like buying a house. If you wait till your positive you can handle it, you’ll never do it…:tearsofjoy:

It’s a decision you’ll never regret. It shouldn’t take long to get good enough to hunt with your stick bow. Get real good at 15 yards and limit your shots.

Hunting with it is kind of like buying a house. If you wait till your positive you can handle it, you’ll never do it…:tearsofjoy:

Yep, Couldn't agree more with this. Spend your summer shooting and at the end of the summer figure out what distance you are comfortable with. Then spend the deer season trying to get a deer within that distance. If that distance is 6 yds, get one within 6 yds. Ask @Red Beard, 6 yds is doable. :)

Welcome to the FSSP of the bow world. Like anything traditional, it has a cult like following and is the coolest!

I really enjoy picking up the bow and shooting in the afternoons. More enjoyable then shooting a compound most of the time. Once you work up to hitting a bag from 15-20 yards I would transition to a 3D target. It was challenging for me, but again more rewarding then shooting at a bag or block for hours on end.

Also, i wouldn’t get too caught up arrow flight just starting out. Take recommendations based on your draw length and go with it. Once you lock down form and are more consistent that’s when I would recommend building arrows for that bow. This is the process that was most frustrating to me so don’t let it get you down. If you want it for hunting you can either build the arrow length to the weight you want or the arrow weight to the length you want. Depending on where you’re at you may have to do both. Plenty to learn but it’s a fun process. Lots of good dudes with experience on here more than I.

Is that PSE you got a passed center cut riser?

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Welcome to the FSSP of the bow world. Like anything traditional, it has a cult like following and is the coolest!

I really enjoy picking up the bow and shooting in the afternoons. More enjoyable then shooting a compound most of the time. Once you work up to hitting a bag from 15-20 yards I would transition to a 3D target. It was challenging for me, but again more rewarding then shooting at a bag or block for hours on end.

Don’t forget the value of stump shooting for gaining accuracy and confidence. Get yourself some judos or VPA small game heads (my personal favorite) and go have some fun in your local woods or forestry. It could be your most valuable hunting practice.

Don’t forget the value of stump shooting for gaining accuracy and confidence. Get yourself some judos or VPA small game heads (my personal favorite) and go have some fun in your local woods or forestry. It could be your most valuable hunting practice.
Stumping is one of my favorite things to do.

You do know if you hunt with that thing the stud of a lifetime is gonna show up somewhere between 25 and 30 yards...

You know, I had three encounters with really good bucks last year. All of them were sub 50 yds and two of them were sub 40 yds and most likely would have been dead with a compound or crossbow in my hands. The funny thing is when I'm carrying my stick bow that doesn't bother me at all.

Last edited:
You know, I had three encounters with really good bucks last year. All of them were sub 50 yds and two of them were sub 40 yds and most likely would have been dead with a compound or crossbow in my hands. The funny thing is when I'm carrying my stick bow that doesn't bother me at all.

Good for you, send me the pin to the spot so I'll be there next season with my compound bow. Just saying, I'm a realist. Baby steps.

Last edited:
Good for you, send me the pin to the spot so I'll be there next season with my compound bow. Just saying, I'm a realist.

Haha, I didn't say that I gave up on hunting either of them, just that it didn't bother me that they beat me that day.

But, if you want to come a few hours west I will put you in one of those spots. @Red Beard shot his first Trad deer 50 yds from there. Only rule is you have to hunt with your Trad bow, compounds aren't allowed. :)

Me too.
I had a legitimate booner at 30 yds three years ago.
Saw him again the following day at 75 yds from a different stand.
That dude was taunting me. I nicknamed him Taunt-o.
No regrets.

Back