• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Newbie question on fall arrest; please comment on this idea?

DanCrossNYC

Hey guys, pardon the newbie question. I'm thinking about safety while climbing and have an idea that I'd like feedback on.

I've tried to search on this, but I'm not gonna lie: there's a bewildering amount of information on the site and I feel confused trying to absorb it all. I thought it might make sense to type up some thoughts and try and get some feedback: apologies if something like this has already been covered. Please bear with me as I type this up: I'll try to be brief, but my thoughts at a bit disorganized just yet, so sorry in advance if it's long.

I heard about saddle hunting late last year and immediately realized this was much closer to how I wanted to hunt than what I've been doing, which is mostly using a climber or hunkering down behind a blow-over, so I decided to take the plunge. I got myself setup with a Mantis and Beast sticks, though too late for the season that just ended, but I'm really excited to give this a try and move over to this (new to me) style of hunting in the fall. And let me tell you how ready I am to through the climber in the trash: that thing was awkward, heavy, and really limited where I could hunt. With a saddle the minimalism, the ability to attack new trees and set up where I want instead of where I can climb, and the possibilities that are going to open up as a result, is huge. I cannot wait.

I've got one question, though. With the climber, I've always used a HSS harness and tree strap on the way up the tree: my routine has been to connect the strap, seat and platform and work my way up by advancing the strap, then the seat, then the platform; lather rinse repeat until I get to hunting height, so I am always connected to the tree from the time I start the climb. Coming down has largely been the reverse: lower the platform, then the seat then the strap until I'm back on the ground. I know this is imperfect, and indeed, reading some of the info on the site about short static falls, suspension trauma, etc, has opened my eyes to just how dangerous this setup _can_ be. I get that, but I'd rather fall a couple of feet and go to the emergency room than fall 25-30 feet and go to the morgue. If possible, I'd like to preserve this always-connected-to-the-tree aspect with the saddle, and improve on it to further reduce the chance of serious injury if I can.

With the saddle, it seems like most guys rely on the lineman's belt up and down the tree. But as I understand it, that's mostly for fall prevention, not fall arrest should you slip. The worst case scenario is where you fall and the lineman's belt doesn't catch on the way down. I've read that a lot of folks are doing SRT, one-sticking, and etc, using their tether as part of the climbing process: that seems like it would solve a number of problems, but where I usually hunt we've got a lot of knobby trees with lots of branches on the way up. Assuming you don't have a preset line (and suck at throwing a tow-line up into a tree, like I do...), this involves a lot of moving the tether, which is tedious: you've got to disconnect it from the bridge, pull the whole thing out through the eye, move it over the branch, run it back through the eye and reattach it to the bridge, etc.

Trying to apply a military-style risk management process to the process, I think the most likely risks are a stick kicking out or losing footing when advancing on the climb. Relying solely on the lineman's belt while moving a tether is probably acceptable, assuming I'm more or less standing in one place while adjusting.

So here's what I'm sort of thinking: suppose I get a length of 8 or 9 feet of dynamic climbing rope with a 5" or so eye spliced into both ends. Now, I loop the whole rope around my bridge and run an end of the rope through one of the knots, creating a big loop around the bridge. Inside that loop, I tie a prussic that I connect to the bridge. If the pussic fails for whatever weird reason, the loop tightens up on itself around the bridge. The tag end I run around the tree and use a twist-lock carabiner though the eye to connect back to the rope: this is how my HSS strap works now. With this, I've got a setup that's looped around the tree, I can choke up on it to keep some tension as I climb, and because the carabiner is on the end wrapped around the tree, it's relatively easy to move around branches and such without disconnecting it from the bridge. I still use the lineman's belt, but If I do fall while moving up the steps I've got this dynamic rope that will absorb some of the shock (and I could possibly pair it with something like a Petzl Absorbica). I have to be comfortable using only the lineman's while moving this contraption around branches and such, but I think that's an acceptable risk.

So I suppose the questions are:
1) am I overthinking this? Perhaps just using my tether (possibly with a second 'biner for speed) is fine.
2) Are there any obvious deficiencies in this scheme that I'm missing? Am I going to give myself a false sense of security if I try something like this?

Like I said, I'd love feedback: this site is great and I've learned a ton lurking around and reading, but it's a bit like drinking from a firehose.

Thanks in advance!

I recommend this: https://www.rei.com/product/471288/petzl-oval-screw-link 5500lbs or 24.4kN. Or this one...I use this one...https://www.rei.com/product/471288/petzl-oval-screw-link. 9900lbs Breaking strength or 44kN.

I have two tethers as I one stick up the tree. The short tether a Oplux rope and is 10' long and tied with a 5" eye. I girth hitch and move it up the tree. When I need to bypass a branch I take my second tether with is flat rescue webbing and I have a small loop tied in...I just attach the triangle to the tag end and to the loop and then tighten it down. Remove my short tether and move my stick up to the branch...stand up on the bottom rung and move my webbing tether up the tree. Then I put my short rope tether above the webbing...tighten it down to remove slack and then move my stick up to where my webbing is at. Climb on the bottom rung and remove my webbing...then move my rope up the tree. At no time do I allow much slack in my system and at zero time am I ever disconnected from the tree. Hope that makes sense.

When I started I was using 2 identical pieces of rope about 8’ long as my lineman rope and my bridge. They each had a figure 8 loop on one end and a smaller overhand loop on the other with a prusik sliding up and down.

I wear a rock climbing harness with linemen loop modded onto it.

As a lineman the figure 8 end connects the the lineman’s loop on my left side with a caribiner. The right side loop connects to the prusik with a caribiner and the tail of the rope passes back through the caribiner to make it self tending.

As a tether the rope is girth hitched around the tree with it the tail passing through the figure 8 loop and my bridge attached to the prusik with my ropeman connected to my harness.

Now I climb with a 30’ rope for a tether and one of my short ropes as a backup or alternate for bypassing a branch or as a lineman. This is used with a single stick or SRT as the tree dictates.

I almost always rappel down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I've ever fallen is when I was in a hurry. My foot slipped off my stick and I had about a 2 foot fall and let me tell you, it sux exactly as bad as the stories say. Took a month of chiro visits until I felt "normal". That was only using a linemans btw.
There's a couple things to consider, when you drop a short distance it's almost like in climbing if you were to fall and your quick draw or daisy chain caught you, there's no stretch and you take the entire load, there's other factors such as how far you fall and your line length but for our purposes even a short fall on a short line can kill you. Also, are you using a dynamic or static rope, with dynamic having a stretching ability which will absorb forces. You say you'll use dynamic so that'll give you some force absorbing factor due to the elastic nature.
Your proposed method seems like it'll work. I think you'd be fine climbing with your tether attached and cinched tight as a back up, that way if your linemans was to slip you'd swing into the tree.
At the end of the day is it safe, and are you comfortable with it? If either of those is no then for me it doesn't work.

Honestly, I don't quite follow what you are proposing. But, I will say I agree with you that a lineman's belt is primarily fall prevention not arrest. I have experienced a stick failure with a lineman's belt on. I stepped on my second stick once which was not properly attached (my fault; so not an equipment failure, rather human failure). I had the lineman's belt on . The stick went to the bottom of the tree and so did I.

Based on my experience, and watching a few videos, I believe a lineman's belt will arrest your fall if it is weighted if whatever you are standing on fails. In my case, I believe it was unweighted as I moved up the tree. Also, if for some reason during your fall both your legs move to one side of the tree (rather than having the tree between your legs), then down you go. Go to 2:25 on this video and you'll see that is what happens to this guy:

I still climb with a lineman's belt but I also use a tether wrapped around the tree connected to my harness. I move the tether up as I climb. It slows me down a bit but if I slip from a stick or a stick fails (human or equipment failure), I should be fine.

Thinking about it more, what I'm proposing is basically a second tether for climbing, but made from dynamic (not static) rope, and with a carabiner connecting the rope back to itself around the tree rather than girth hitching it (for ease moving around branches and the like).

Ok. I get it. Using a tether in addition to LB is a significant improvement in safety in my opinion.

2 things:

1. If you're trying to get some shock absorption from dynamic rope, I dont think you will. Dynamic rope works for climbers because they use tens or hundreds of feet...an 8 or 10 foot tether of dynamic rope won't help. It doesnt have enough length to stretch in a meaningful way. Consider adding a ripstop or similar device if your trying to get shock absorption. I have a ripstop in my tether for this purpose.

2. An oval or pear shaped biner used like that will be cross loaded and not live up to it's full rating. A triangle biner should work.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks, @dlist777. This is very helpful. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm just talking about, "climbing with tether in addition to lineman's belt."

I've got two questions about carabiners, though

I was looking up a site on cross-loading (https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Tactical/Examples-of-dangerous-carabiner-loading-), but can't quite picture this in my mind: if you've got a spliced loop on the end of the tether, and you run a carabiner through that, then wrap it around the tree and clip back to the tether, won't the force be pulled along the major axis? That is, it'll be the rope pulling the carabiner against the eye; I suppose there's some downward force on the carabiner, but I'd imagine that's a pretty small amount and the bulk will be pulling against the major axis. Is the concern multidirectional loading, as on the petzl page? Or perhaps loading over an edge, in that the carabiner is pulled against the tree?

Also, my naive searches for triangular carabiners only seem to turn up sketchy looking offers from Amazon. Is there a well-known, reputable source for them? Petzl has a nice page talking about carabiner shapes (https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Tactical/Different-carabiner-shapes), maybe one of their omnidirectional carabiners might fit the bill here?

Thanks again!

Thinking about it more, what I'm proposing is basically a second tether for climbing, but made from dynamic (not static) rope, and with a carabiner connecting the rope back to itself around the tree rather than girth hitching it (for ease moving around branches and the like).

Maybe you need to look at an arborist setup called a choker (might be called something different) where you are using a lineman belt but it has rope front and back of the tree and will catch immediately if you fall.

This one version I’ve seen but there are others made with rope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, @robstewart. I looked at the Buckingham squeeze, which seems to be roughly the same thing. It's pricy, but hey, I'd rather spend the money and live a healthy life than be cheap and dead or paralyzed. But how do you move those things around branches?

Thanks, @dlist777. This is very helpful. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm just talking about, "climbing with tether in addition to lineman's belt."

I've got two questions about carabiners, though

I was looking up a site on cross-loading (https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Tactical/Examples-of-dangerous-carabiner-loading-), but can't quite picture this in my mind: if you've got a spliced loop on the end of the tether, and you run a carabiner through that, then wrap it around the tree and clip back to the tether, won't the force be pulled along the major axis? That is, it'll be the rope pulling the carabiner against the eye; I suppose there's some downward force on the carabiner, but I'd imagine that's a pretty small amount and the bulk will be pulling against the major axis. Is the concern multidirectional loading, as on the petzl page? Or perhaps loading over an edge, in that the carabiner is pulled against the tree?

Also, my naive searches for triangular carabiners only seem to turn up sketchy looking offers from Amazon. Is there a well-known, reputable source for them? Petzl has a nice page talking about carabiner shapes (https://www.petzl.com/US/en/Tactical/Different-carabiner-shapes), maybe one of their omnidirectional carabiners might fit the bill here?

Thanks again!

First, I 100% endorse using a tether in addition to LB when you climb. I think it's the way to go. I also think adding a ripstop or other shock absorber is good as you will have some slack develop. However, I would guess 90-95% of the guys on here do NOT use one when they climb. It slows you down a bit. I think most guys just don't see it as an appreciable increase in safety and therefore worth the hassle factor. I think it IS worth the hassle, but I just wanted you to know....many other guys have concluded a LB alone is sufficient.

1. Regarding your question about cross-loading: The answer is: I'm not sure. I have always been told that doing what you suggest may lead to cross-loading, but I can't swear to it. I would think that if your tether was unweighted and then you fell, the caribiner would naturally fall to either a vertical position (where it was indeed cross-loaded..or maybe the better term is: improperly loaded?) or a horizontal position (where it was loaded along the major access) before it caught. But, don't rely on me here. I use the tether when I climb and I just move around branches the old fashioned way. But, it is a pain. So, I can see why you are looking into this.

2. Yea, don't buy anything your life depends on, on Amazon. The sellers there are not to be trusted (IMHO). You should become familiar with Eastern Woods Outdoors (doublesteps.com). That is like the Walmart of saddle hunting. Also, REI and BackCountry.com are good sites to buy carabiners. @DanO is a member on here and he's the owner of EWO. I checked and they have a triangle carabiner.

One final note: You may find that having the caribiner on the front causes it to slip when you unweight it (which you will if you use it as you climb, its unavoidable). It's not a huge deal, you'll just adjust it as you move up, but you might find it more annoying than just threading it through the loop and un-threading / re-threading around branches. But, I've never tried it (using a caribiner like you suggest) so it might be fine....

Last edited:
Thanks, @robstewart. I looked at the Buckingham squeeze, which seems to be roughly the same thing. It's pricy, but hey, I'd rather spend the money and live a healthy life than be cheap and dead or paralyzed. But how do you move those things around branches?

I saw one that was made with rope and could easily be DIY. That said, I think it would work well with the Wild Edge steps, spikes or bolts but not very well with climbing sticks. Sticks get hung in front of you between the tree and your body while you're putting them on so a squeeze device would get in the way.

EDIT: Also would be great with a LWHC

@robstewart oh, that looks really cool. I'm using sticks, though. I wonder if something like that can be incorporated though. Thanks for the suggestion; I'm going to try and experiment a little.

@dlist777 thanks again. I ordered a triangular carabiner from @DanO. I'm picking up a Petzl "Absorbica" to use as a ripstop.

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I feel a lot more confident in what I'm trying now.

Back