• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

mattpsu1

SH Member
Hello all, I’m new to the forum and after contemplating making the jump to saddle hunting for a few years I have decided that this is the year I make the transition. At the moment, I am completely torn between a Tethrd Phantom and an Aerohunter Kestrel Flex. Trying to watch as many reviews as I can to get an idea of the differences and see if one looks more inviting to me. One of the big questions I have for experienced users is, is it worth it to pay the extra for the complete kits? Are the tethers and lineman’s That come with the kits worth $120ish combined? Or would I be better suited just buying one of the saddles and either using my own lineman belts. Are they that much better to warrant that price tag? I mean if they are then no problem. But if not, there’s a good portion towards my platform. Which leads me to my next question. I know there is no right or wrong answer due to people’s preferences but I’m leaning towards a Predator, or Ridge Runner or a Podium and would like to hear opinions and real use experiences with the 3. Thanks a lot in advance and I’m sure you guys hear the same questions over and over again but I do really appreciate all responses. BTW, my names Matt and I’m from Southwestern PA and most of my hunting will be on public ground.

Hello all, I’m new to the forum and after contemplating making the jump to saddle hunting for a few years I have decided that this is the year I make the transition. At the moment, I am completely torn between a Tethrd Phantom and an Aerohunter Kestrel Flex. Trying to watch as many reviews as I can to get an idea of the differences and see if one looks more inviting to me. One of the big questions I have for experienced users is, is it worth it to pay the extra for the complete kits? Are the tethers and lineman’s That come with the kits worth $120ish combined? Or would I be better suited just buying one of the saddles and either using my own lineman belts. Are they that much better to warrant that price tag? I mean if they are then no problem. But if not, there’s a good portion towards my platform. Which leads me to my next question. I know there is no right or wrong answer due to people’s preferences but I’m leaning towards a Predator, or Ridge Runner or a Podium and would like to hear opinions and real use experiences with the 3. Thanks a lot in advance and I’m sure you guys hear the same questions over and over again but I do really appreciate all responses. BTW, my names Matt and I’m from Southwestern PA and most of my hunting will be on public ground.

Check the meet up page and try out before you buy. There’s a meet up in Williamsport pa next weekend and another one tbd that may be closer to you in the near future in pa. Welcome to the site!

Sent from parts unknown

Check the meet up page and try out before you buy. There’s a meet up in Williamsport pa next weekend and another one tbd that may be closer to you in the near future in pa. Welcome to the site!

Sent from parts unknown
I’ll be working both days next weekend but if you find out where the other meetup is I would greatly appreciate a heads up. Thank you

Welcome from KS.

First on saddle or platforms I don’t think you can go wrong with any of those options. All are highly liked and not many bad reviews of any of them.

For the kits question... my personal opinion is they are over priced and big bulky ropes.

You can get a more compact/packable set up for 50-60% less.

Acquaint yourself with doublesteps.com. You can pick up all the accessories you could ever want and a lot more you never knew you needed or wanted lol

Welcome Matt! I’m also very new to saddle hunting but have a little experience with my setup. My opinion (without trying either saddle you mention) is that you really can’t go wrong with either option. Everything I hear and see is that they’re both top quality saddles. The good news is, if you get one and decide you don’t like it, you can sell it on the classifieds here pretty fast for close to what you paid for it.

Regarding platforms, I think you should consider how much foot space you might want. I saved this photo from the forum a while ago. It’s a nice size comparison of a number of the platforms out there right now.
e137056c2df9303338853bb45ef4dd29.jpg

Personally I have the Ridge Runner and I think it’s the perfect size for your feet to be comfortable and you can still stand on it if you need to. It’s solid as a brick and doesn’t flex at all on the tree.

Also you might consider looking at other saddles before you buy. There’s other great ones like the H2 and Cruzer. I had the H2 and it is really comfortable and awesome bang for the buck.

Lots of stuff to consider in this saddle hunting game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Matt! I’m also very new to saddle hunting but have a little experience with my setup. My opinion (without trying either saddle you mention) is that you really can’t go wrong with either option. Everything I hear and see is that they’re both top quality saddles. The good news is, if you get one and decide you don’t like it, you can sell it on the classifieds here pretty fast for close to what you paid for it.

Regarding platforms, I think you should consider how much foot space you might want. I saved this photo from the forum a while ago. It’s a nice size comparison of a number of the platforms out there right now.
e137056c2df9303338853bb45ef4dd29.jpg

Personally I have the Ridge Runner and I think it’s the perfect size for your feet to be comfortable and you can still stand on it if you need to. It’s solid as a brick and doesn’t flex at all on the tree.

Also you might consider looking at other saddles before you buy. There’s other great ones like the H2 and Cruzer. I had the H2 and it is really comfortable and awesome bang for the buck.

Lots of stuff to consider in this saddle hunting game.

I have looked at the H2 and just recently Cruzr. The wait time on them is in the 6-7 week range. Aerohunter is approximately 4 weeks and Tethrd responded and said most orders ship out within 3 business days. Since I have the patience of a teenage boy, this should help make up my mind for me. I was leaning towards the Aero Kestrel Flex originally. With the Tethrd Phantom running second. And like I said, the H2 and Cruzr are both fine looking saddles and a tad cheaper too but I don’t know if I could wait that long. Wouldn’t give me a whole lot of practice time and such either. I saw that Tethrd is running a 10% off sale as well. I’ll just drive my wife crazy in the meantime until she Just says,”Would you just order one of them damn things already?!?!”

I have looked at the H2 and just recently Cruzr. The wait time on them is in the 6-7 week range. Aerohunter is approximately 4 weeks and Tethrd responded and said most orders ship out within 3 business days. Since I have the patience of a teenage boy, this should help make up my mind for me. I was leaning towards the Aero Kestrel Flex originally. With the Tethrd Phantom running second. And like I said, the H2 and Cruzr are both fine looking saddles and a tad cheaper too but I don’t know if I could wait that long. Wouldn’t give me a whole lot of practice time and such either. I saw that Tethrd is running a 10% off sale as well. I’ll just drive my wife crazy in the meantime until she Just says,”Would you just order one of them damn things already?!?!”

Gotcha. I haven’t looked in a while to see how long the wait is. I totally understand the not wanting to wait. I tend to torment my wife too about all this hunting stuff I’m so in to. I’m sure in her head she’s just like “please do something and leave me alone” lol. If it makes you feel any better, I’m wanting to do single stick climbing this year and I’ve been waiting for a single short beast stick since the beginning of February and it’s still not here yet.

Gotcha. I haven’t looked in a while to see how long the wait is. I totally understand the not wanting to wait. I tend to torment my wife too about all this hunting stuff I’m so in to. I’m sure in her head she’s just like “please do something and leave me alone” lol. If it makes you feel any better, I’m wanting to do single stick climbing this year and I’ve been waiting for a single short beast stick since the beginning of February and it’s still not here yet.

Damn! I’d go nuts waiting that long. Let me know what you think of it tho. I was torturing myself over sticks. Couldn’t decide between the Muddy Pros and the 20” Hawk Heliums. But at the time I wasn’t planning on one sticking but have since watched some good videos on here and I may actually give it a try too. I really liked the idea of the cam cleat On the Muddys but Midway had the Run n Gun combo marked down to $210 with free shipping. So for a few extra $s I got the Hawk Helium Ultralight stand along with the Helium steps. Kind of an impulse buy. Plan on getting either the versa straps or the Amsteel daisy chains and doing the rope mod and using an aider down the road. Now if I could only pull the trigger on which saddle. Lol. I am glad I did at least wait until I spoke to a few people on here and didn’t go the kit route. Just seems like a lot for the tether and lineman and now I can justify a Ropeman 1 or maybe 2 with the savings.

Damn! I’d go nuts waiting that long. Let me know what you think of it tho. I was torturing myself over sticks. Couldn’t decide between the Muddy Pros and the 20” Hawk Heliums. But at the time I wasn’t planning on one sticking but have since watched some good videos on here and I may actually give it a try too. I really liked the idea of the cam cleat On the Muddys but Midway had the Run n Gun combo marked down to $210 with free shipping. So for a few extra $s I got the Hawk Helium Ultralight stand along with the Helium steps. Kind of an impulse buy. Plan on getting either the versa straps or the Amsteel daisy chains and doing the rope mod and using an aider down the road. Now if I could only pull the trigger on which saddle. Lol. I am glad I did at least wait until I spoke to a few people on here and didn’t go the kit route. Just seems like a lot for the tether and lineman and now I can justify a Ropeman 1 or maybe 2 with the savings.

Yeah lol I am honestly. I was just considering cancelling the order. But I may be within a week or two of them actually shipping it now, according to the website. So guess I’ll wait. Will let ya know how I like it.

The muddy pros were the first sticks I ever bought and I had not idea what I was doing or how sticks were supposed to work. In hind sight, I don’t mind that I sold them. The cam cleat is a cool idea. But mine would periodically hang open on me. I wasn’t a fan of that possibility happening. And I just was too nervous something would go wrong and the rope would slip out on me. Also didn’t like that you basically couldn’t change or replace the rope. Not easily anyway. I’m sure plenty of people have done it though. I also felt like the steps were sort of slippery with the paint they used on them.

Sounds like a pretty good deal on the hawk sticks and stand. Should work well for ya. Yeah I haven’t really done the rope mods for anything I have. Sounds cool but I don’t mind the straps that come with the sticks so I just stick with them for now.

I just got the 20” hawk heliums. I like them a lot. They are kind of cheap though and have some quality issues. The suction cup system is way too aggressive and it’s almost impossible to get the sticks apart. I posted on a recent thread about them and what I did to modify them. They are nice and easy now. But stupid i had to do that. But they’re so small and work well otherwise. I would still recommend them. Especially for the $.

Yeah the saddle kits are fine but I think you’re paying way too much especially for the linesman and tether and what not. It’s fun to be able to make or mod your own stuff like that I think. As long as you’re not compromising the safety of the ropes.

It’s all a deep rabbit hole that you can spend a lot of $ on! I would say just take it one step at a time and see what you like and sell what you don’t like. There’s always someone out there that wants this kind of gear. Like I said I don’t think you’ll go wrong with any of the main saddles out there right now. You still don’t know what you don’t know about it all so you gotta start somewhere ya know.

PS- if you get a ropeman, I recommend the ropeman 1, not the ropeman 2. The 1 seems a lot easier on ropes with the ridges for the jaws. The 2 has actual teeth and I have heard they wear ropes out a lot faster. In this case “2” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better. If you take a look at what some of the companies like Tethrd and Eastern Woods Outdoors offers, ive found that they always sell the best gear for what we do, like if there’s several versions of a product, they always seem to have the right/best version for saddle hunting.

PS- if you get a ropeman, I recommend the ropeman 1, not the ropeman 2. The 1 seems a lot easier on ropes with the ridges for the jaws. The 2 has actual teeth and I have heard they wear ropes out a lot faster. In this case “2” doesn’t necessarily mean it’s better. If you take a look at what some of the companies like Tethrd and Eastern Woods Outdoors offers, ive found that they always sell the best gear for what we do, like if there’s several versions of a product, they always seem to have the right/best version for saddle hunting.

I am planning on the Ropeman1, I meant 2 of them. Lol. I think I will be doing some ordering either tonight or tomorrow. Getting antsy

Just a heads up, you might want to call Debbie at Aero Hunter and ask about shipping times. This Covid really took a hit on there suppliers. I order my flex 4/26/20 just received it Thursday the 18th. 8 weeks, I believe. I will say that it's really nice, looks great! Nice workmanship, and great communication!! I believe everyone is way behind.

Just a heads up, you might want to call Debbie at Aero Hunter and ask about shipping times. This Covid really took a hit on there suppliers. I order my flex 4/26/20 just received it Thursday the 18th. 8 weeks, I believe. I will say that it's really nice, looks great! Nice workmanship, and great communication!! I believe everyone is way behind.
Thank you, I emailed them last week and they said 4 weeks so maybe things have picked up. Hope they weren’t pulling my leg because I’d be a little disappointed if I ordered from them expecting 4 weeks and had to wait 8. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Samson Predator rope over at Eastern Outdoors for a tether and possibly a lineman? It’s 11.4mm, I’m assuming this would pair well with the Ropeman 1.

Thank you, I emailed them last week and they said 4 weeks so maybe things have picked up. Hope they weren’t pulling my leg because I’d be a little disappointed if I ordered from them expecting 4 weeks and had to wait 8. What’s everyone’s thoughts on the Samson Predator rope over at Eastern Outdoors for a tether and possibly a lineman? It’s 11.4mm, I’m assuming this would pair well with the Ropeman 1.

I’d go 10 mm htp. Still in spec and a little smaller for packability.

20 feet for one tether? How many extra feet for the figure 8 knot for about an 8 foot tether? Thank you, I appreciate all the info

20 feet for one tether? How many extra feet for the figure 8 knot for about an 8 foot tether? Thank you, I appreciate all the info

10’ rope will get you roughly 8’ after knots. 20’ cut in half will cover lineman’s a and tether.

Back