• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No prusik tender

Works ok but not as smooth as a dedicated tender...especially if u got lower quality ropes. I think the reason peeps get frustrated with the 1s like he said he was using originally is they can flop down and u gotta pull 2x the length of rope before it starts tending the wraps....I fix the tender to the legs of the friction hitch with some those soft Velcro straps like for rolling charging cords....then u don't have to take up slack before the tendy tends

When he actually gets some weight on that tether he'll change his tune about how well that prussik tends with a carabiner.

When he actually gets some weight on that tether he'll change his tune about how well that prussik tends with a carabiner.
On my tether I use a Cornell hitch with a tender. Now the tender is not necessary, just a little bit smoother.
I use a prusik on my lineman. Since I never fully load it, tender or carabiner, no problem.

His prusik cord is sketchy.....loop formed with a simple overhand with short tag ends?

On my tether I use a Cornell hitch with a tender. Now the tender is not necessary, just a little bit smoother.
I use a prusik on my lineman. Since I never fully load it, tender or carabiner, no problem.

Do you find it easy to push the hitch up when weighted using the tender?

My experience with the Cornell was it broke easily even under load, but to push it up I had to break it first. Gotta go down to go up, lol. Once broken, it slid up really smoothly.

Do you find it easy to push the hitch up when weighted using the tender?

My experience with the Cornell was it broke easily even under load, but to push it up I had to break it first. Gotta go down to go up, lol. Once broken, it slid up really smoothly.
I have not had a problem breaking it up or down. I dont 2TC or 1 stick so I dont load it and then break it while climbing. I have been climbing with my tether and sticks. I removed the tender and I just slide the Cornell each step. When I need to I raise my tether.
Edit: I am using Bluewater 9mm protac and Bluewater hitch cord. Works good other ropes may not work as well. That's what I find on my linesman and a conventional prusic the type of rope effects how easy the prusic slides.

Last edited:
His prusik cord is sketchy.....loop formed with a simple overhand with short tag ends?
That's an XOP loop, the way it ships. If somebody didn't know any better they'd think it was what right looks like.

And I've tried this technique and been generally dissatisfied with it. I kept pulling the hitch through the carabiner instead of tending it. Definitely prefer a proper tender but if you're in a pinch you can take a link of chain, or a suitably-sized ring or quick link, and pass your bight through that before clipping it into the 'biner. Like a rappel ring.

That's an XOP loop, the way it ships. If somebody didn't know any better they'd think it was what right looks like.

And I've tried this technique and been generally dissatisfied with it. I kept pulling the hitch through the carabiner instead of tending it. Definitely prefer a proper tender but if you're in a pinch you can take a link of chain, or a suitably-sized ring or quick link, and pass your bight through that before clipping it into the 'biner. Like a rappel ring.
It did not work well for me with Oplux.
Worked well with Sterling HTP.

I use my rappel rope for a tether, so I don't know if a prusik would be a knot/hitch that I'd trust to rappel down. I'm currently rappelling with a klemheist hitch that holds and bites better than a prusik. It may be able to be tended with the same carabiner technique that's in this video. :)

Last edited:
Yup, flat overhand needs long tags. Would never trust my life on flat overhand on that thin of a rope without backup knots. EDK for rock climbing rappel I'll have at least a foot and do two rounds tightening each strand.

If XOP is shipping things like that to hang your life on I wouldn't touch anything they do.

I did it last weekend on a hunt. Worked pretty good for me. After a few years of ropemans, I think i will save the weight and sound risk. Havent tried a little plastic tender yet, but I think it may be better,

Back