• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

No stick climbing

Flakeyone

I climb in my Dryad Drey 2 saddle with a 30’ tether to rappel down later. I use a 1000 lb camping tree hammock wrap, carabiner and a 5 step aider.
each move sit down in saddle, move hammock wrap carabiner and aider up tree overhead, climb and repeat. At hunting hight use ROS. If not windy leave aider and wrap on tree while sitting.
repell later and remove hammock wrap,carabiner and aider on way down.
walmart on line sells the hammock wrap and 5 step aider. Cheap. Look at weight bearing statistics since a number models.

also sometimes I saddle hunt and climb with my bottomSummit climber base that also serves as platform. Sometimes I add my ROS.
No sticks for me. I’m 76. Doing this 2 ways 5 years.

@Flakeyone you got some pics for us to see? How do you climb with just the bottom part of the summit? Do you just sit on your saddle and lift your legs up to advance the base, push your tether up the tree and then sit back down in the saddle and advance the climber base again until at HH? Thanks for sharing.

I climb in my Dryad Drey 2 saddle with a 30’ tether to rappel down later. I use a 1000 lb camping tree hammock wrap, carabiner and a 5 step aider.
each move sit down in saddle, move hammock wrap carabiner and aider up tree overhead, climb and repeat. At hunting hight use ROS. If not windy leave aider and wrap on tree while sitting.
repell later and remove hammock wrap,carabiner and aider on way down.
walmart on line sells the hammock wrap and 5 step aider. Cheap. Look at weight bearing statistics since a number models.

also sometimes I saddle hunt and climb with my bottomSummit climber base that also serves as platform. Sometimes I add my ROS.
No sticks for me. I’m 76. Doing this 2 ways 5 years.
Are you taking 5 steps before you move your tether?

@Flakeyone you got some pics for us to see? How do you climb with just the bottom part of the summit? Do you just sit on your saddle and lift your legs up to advance the base, push your tether up the tree and then sit back down in the saddle and advance the climber base again until at HH? Thanks for sharing.
I just tried exactly that today but I think you are standing too close to the back of the climber to be safe. It's designed to stand out towards the front. I guess it would work for leaning but to sit with my feet closer to the tree, I didn't feel safe.

I just tried exactly that today but I think you are standing too close to the back of the climber to be safe. It's designed to stand out towards the front. I guess it would work for leaning but to sit with my feet closer to the tree, I didn't feel safe.
I've had my climber bottom slip before and VERY luck to have it tied to the top part with the seat.
Since, I have added a strap to both like these below, not for any real weight, but to keep from slipping.
1693429215288.png

I do the same thing and downforce is downforce, I’m only 160#’s and it’s fine. I use the bottom of my summit viper mini it’s perfect combined with the saddle and tether up top. I also JRB climb but I tend to gravitate to the prior mentioned way.

That’s what I was concerned with too!

This is intriguing to me but I don’t see how you’re saving in the noise department. I did get pretty quiet with my summit viper over the years but it still is so much more potential noise than sticks and a platform or a one stick system imho.

I've had my climber bottom slip before and VERY luck to have it tied to the top part with the seat.
Since, I have added a strap to both like these below, not for any real weight, but to keep from slipping.
View attachment 89720
I use straps similar to those that came from Summit. With only the climber bottom being used you have nothing to secure it to. I think the climber base is a bad idea. Sorry.

Back