• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Observations from first year in a saddle

DOMMA

This is my first year using a saddle. I was lucky enough to harvest an 8 point. I have ~ 20 sits in my saddle and thought I would pass on some of the things I learned.

1. You do not have to be young to saddle hunt, I am 52 and just started - I love it.
2. There are clear advantages using a saddle over a climber or hang-on stand.
  • Much lighter
  • You can get in almost any tree, more options to get in optimum position
  • You can use the tree to hide from deer allowing you to get ready as they approach
  • the only option that allows you to shoot 360 around the tree
3. It takes 5-6 sits to get in saddle shape and develop a routine to be efficient and comfortable
4. A Ropeman 1 on your lineman's belt and tether is a huge upgrade over the prussik knot
5. I prefer climbing sticks as a climbing method. Beast sticks are the best IMO - the double step is a huge advantage, as is the weight savings.
6. Ditch the buckles on the climbing stick straps, they are heavy and noisy. I prefer a versa-strap or Amsteel with daisy chain.
7. Get a gear lanyard with at least 3 - 4 hooks for your bow, quiver, backpack, binoculars.....
8. Get two Molle pouches/bags for your saddle, one for lineman's belt the other for the gear lanyard and tether.
9. For longer sits - anything over 2.5 hours, a platform is the best. The Tethrd Predator and OOAL Podium or Ridge Runner are nice.
10. Using an aider on the first step is fine and helps you get higher in the tree. Using an aider after the fist step makes descending in the dark difficult.

I hope my observations help any other hunters considering saddle hunting. I still use my climber but have stopped using my LW Alpha completely. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Thanks for posting that. Just starting out and am using WE steps. A buddy told me to use an aider on every step so I don’t have to set as many. I’m only going to use it on the first step due to the issues of getting down in the dark.

Thanks for posting that. Just starting out and am using WE steps. A buddy told me to use an aider on every step so I don’t have to set as many. I’m only going to use it on the first step due to the issues of getting down in the dark.

Use the search function for a CAYG (carry as you go) aider and a Knaider/Swaider combo. A knaider is an aider that attaches around your foot and calf with a hook at about knee height that you wear to get up and down the steps without having to fiddle fart your foot into a loop. The Swaider is in my estimation, basically a CAYG aider that you couple with a knaider. A CAYG aider is an aider that loops around your foot and clips up higher onto your body, whether your saddle or a shoulder strap and can be set on your next step/stick. Using these aider types allows you to skip trying to find your aider with your foot and aids in going up and coming down again because you're just clipping/hooking onto the step as you ascend and decend vs carrying 4 aiders that are attached to sticks that you have to attempt to step into. They're pretty much the bees knees.

I tried using multiple aiders, I even used a 6" pc. of a garden hose to keep the step open (saw this on youtube) and I struggled to get out of the tree at dark. I can get 20 - 22 feet with one aider and 4 sticks. Because I can use the tree to hide it works well.

This is my first year using a saddle. I was lucky enough to harvest an 8 point. I have ~ 20 sits in my saddle and thought I would pass on some of the things I learned.

1. You do not have to be young to saddle hunt, I am 52 and just started - I love it.
2. There are clear advantages using a saddle over a climber or hang-on stand.
  • Much lighter
  • You can get in almost any tree, more options to get in optimum position
  • You can use the tree to hide from deer allowing you to get ready as they approach
  • the only option that allows you to shoot 360 around the tree
3. It takes 5-6 sits to get in saddle shape and develop a routine to be efficient and comfortable
4. A Ropeman 1 on your lineman's belt and tether is a huge upgrade over the prussik knot
5. I prefer climbing sticks as a climbing method. Beast sticks are the best IMO - the double step is a huge advantage, as is the weight savings.
6. Ditch the buckles on the climbing stick straps, they are heavy and noisy. I prefer a versa-strap or Amsteel with daisy chain.
7. Get a gear lanyard with at least 3 - 4 hooks for your bow, quiver, backpack, binoculars.....
8. Get two Molle pouches/bags for your saddle, one for lineman's belt the other for the gear lanyard and tether.
9. For longer sits - anything over 2.5 hours, a platform is the best. The Tethrd Predator and OOAL Podium or Ridge Runner are nice.
10. Using an aider on the first step is fine and helps you get higher in the tree. Using an aider after the fist step makes descending in the dark difficult.

I hope my observations help any other hunters considering saddle hunting. I still use my climber but have stopped using my LW Alpha completely. Let me know if you have any questions and good luck.

Thanks for all the tips. I should be getting my first saddle any day now. All sounds like I would imagine for the ideal setup. Just curious of your reasoning to still use your climber. I have a lone wolf hand climber and love it and still will likely use it periodically even with the saddle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the tips. I should be getting my first saddle any day now. All sounds like I would imagine for the ideal setup. Just curious of your reasoning to still use your climber. I have a lone wolf hand climber and love it and still will likely use it periodically even with the saddle.

I use my LW Hand Climber - Combo II when I go to areas that I know have plenty of tall straight trees. I like to set up high with my climber, ~30 feet. I am faster with my climber than I am with my sticks and get get higher so if I know there will be trees that will work , I will go with the climber.

The saddle is perfect when you need to be able to get into almost any trees. I got 8 ft. versa-straps, it is crazy the size of the trees I can get into. I also climb leaning trees and trees with multiple limbs. The saddle gives you a lot of flexibility.

I use my LW Hand Climber - Combo II when I go to areas that I know have plenty of tall straight trees. I like to set up high with my climber, ~30 feet. I am faster with my climber than I am with my sticks and get get higher so if I know there will be trees that will work , I will go with the climber.

The saddle is perfect when you need to be able to get into almost any trees. I got 8 ft. versa-straps, it is crazy the size of the trees I can get into. I also climb leaning trees and trees with multiple limbs. The saddle gives you a lot of flexibility.

Gotcha. Makes sense. That’s one of the reasons I’m keeping my climber too. You’re not limited in how high you can get in a tree. I am also fastest with setting it up too out of everything else I have. Although I’m not sure I could handle 30 feet. Hah. Different tools for different jobs.

Gotcha. Makes sense. That’s one of the reasons I’m keeping my climber too. You’re not limited in how high you can get in a tree. I am also fastest with setting it up too out of everything else I have. Although I’m not sure I could handle 30 feet. Hah. Different tools for different jobs.

I also have the LW Hand Climber combo 2. Best climber on the market in my opinion.

Back