• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

OCB Bending

vtbowhunt

Nov 10, 2019
I’m using Treehopper’s new steps and an OCB strap I bought with them. I have five steps on the strap. I noticed this afternoon that the OCB is actually bending/deforming and the rivets are coming loose. Am I doing something wrong? I know I need to cam it tightly to keep them tight on the tree. Should I just use a ratchet?

Attachments

• 7C49986F-97FA-4B49-8BAB-E69779BEA61F.jpeg
    7C49986F-97FA-4B49-8BAB-E69779BEA61F.jpeg
    222.4 KB · Views: 132
  • 7145099A-0E53-4C00-9C64-2A6E94015505.jpeg
    7145099A-0E53-4C00-9C64-2A6E94015505.jpeg
    269.5 KB · Views: 130
  • C1C20EB3-C7DD-446B-8BD2-814453BECC28.jpeg
    C1C20EB3-C7DD-446B-8BD2-814453BECC28.jpeg
    348.6 KB · Views: 123

pesqimon

Apr 25, 2018
Massachusetts
I know these are not from EWO, but a few months ago there was a bad batch that was found. Search for a thread about that and see if it is the same issue.

This shouldn’t be happening if used properly, so you may have a defective OCB

Reactions: bj139 and Bigterp

backstrap19

Mar 28, 2019
i've been nervous about the ocb buckle before. specifically the rivets. however, the EWO buckles have made it through 6+ months of torture and practice. some days we would cam those things 25 or more times during climbing practice sessions. that being said, I have never seen one of ours bend like yours.

vtbowhunt

Nov 10, 2019
i've been nervous about the ocb buckle before. specifically the rivets. however, the EWO buckles have made it through 6+ months of torture and practice. some days we would cam those things 25 or more times during climbing practice sessions. that being said, I have never seen one of ours bend like yours.

I'm thinking I should order one from DanO and try that. Might be a low quality cam buckle on this strap.

Stolencopy

Aug 30, 2019
New bern
I'm thinking I should order one from DanO and try that. Might be a low quality cam buckle on this strap.
I have three ocb buckles from dano and every single one has loose rivets after a few uses. I honestly believe that I was just camming them over WAY too hard but, that was the only way to get my SquirrelSteps solid on the tree.

After I had 30+ hours of hunting with the ring of steps I became comfortable enough with them having some "squish" to them that I no longer felt the need to cam them down to that degree.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
I will loosely pull the slack then cam the buckle 2 or 3 times.... If I try to cam it with the strap pulled up super tight I've had deflection and total failure with ocb. Strap doesn't have to be super duper tight when first trying to cam the buckle.....

enkriss

SH Member
Sep 13, 2018
I will loosely pull the slack then cam the buckle 2 or 3 times.... If I try to cam it with the strap pulled up super tight I've had deflection and total failure with ocb. Strap doesn't have to be super duper tight when first trying to cam the buckle.....

Total failure? You had one break?

vtbowhunt

Nov 10, 2019
That might be my problem. I think I need to replace this buckle and keep learning.

Weldabeast

SH Member
May 23, 2019
Northeast Florida
I have 4 of double step ocb and 1 broke do to user error.... Once I learned not to tighten them up all the way before camover the other 3 are good to go. I still inspect it everytime before I put it on the tree.

Reactions: vtbowhunt

DanO

Vendor Rep
Jun 14, 2018
Michigan
doublesteps.com
I'm aware of three OCBs breaking at the rivets - all during the cam-over process. Never has one broke yet while in use after the cam-over. I do think some people are trying to get them too tight and that might lead to loose rivets.

The other failures were related to an inferior OCB buckle I purchased direct from the manufacturer that looked just like the OPs buckle (all black, no brass bar). These did the same thing and bent the back cross member. These are designed just a little different and can't take the cam forces that we generate. I replaced all the ones that were purchased and threw that batch away.

vtbowhunt

Nov 10, 2019
I'm aware of three OCBs breaking at the rivets - all during the cam-over process. Never has one broke yet while in use after the cam-over. I do think some people are trying to get them too tight and that might lead to loose rivets.

The other failures were related to an inferior OCB buckle I purchased direct from the manufacturer that looked just like the OPs buckle (all black, no brass bar). These did the same thing and bent the back cross member. These are designed just a little different and can't take the cam forces that we generate. I replaced all the ones that were purchased and threw that batch away.

Thanks @DanO, I just bought a new strap and OCB from Doublesteps.

Also, I contacted Mark at Treehopper about the problem. He notified his supplier and forwarded my photos to them. He is sending me a beefier OCB as a replacement. Both Doublesteps and Treehopper are great suppliers that stand behind (or on? :)) their products.

vtbowhunt

Nov 10, 2019
Received my new OCB and strap from @DanO. Seems like a stronger cam buckle than the previous. Also added some shock cord to the steps after a suggestion by @Allegheny Tom on another thread.

After the significant discussions that took place this week... I just want to say that as a fairly new saddle hunter, this forum is awesome for support like this. I had a problem and the group here helped solve it and then some.

Attachments

• 5BE5347B-FAD8-46DC-88B4-EC59B3CE7BD6.jpeg
    5BE5347B-FAD8-46DC-88B4-EC59B3CE7BD6.jpeg
    320.7 KB · Views: 68
  • 103AD180-83D7-45B5-A23D-B1D07027D8FA.jpeg
    103AD180-83D7-45B5-A23D-B1D07027D8FA.jpeg
    311.7 KB · Views: 68

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Received my new OCB and strap from @DanO. Seems like a stronger cam buckle than the previous. Also added some shock cord to the steps after a suggestion by @Allegheny Tom on another thread.

After the significant discussions that took place this week... I just want to say that as a fairly new saddle hunter, this forum is awesome for support like this. I had a problem and the group here helped solve it and then some.
Let me suggest something with the shock cord.
Use a zip tie instead of a knot. The zip will allow the shock cord to be adjusted for tightness on the strap, which will allow you to tweak how tight the step holds it position on the strap. You'll be able to loosen it slightly which will allow the steps to slide and pack better. But in the tree, you can tighten the cord (because you used a zip instead of a knot), and the step will lock tight on the strap. It won't slip throughout the day.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Red Beard

vtbowhunt

Nov 10, 2019
Use a zip tie instead of a knot. The zip will allow the shock cord to be adjusted for tightness on the strap, which will allow you to tweak how tight the step holds it position on the strap. You'll be able to loosen it slightly which will allow the steps to slide and pack better. But in the tree, you can tighten the cord (because you used a zip instead of a knot), and the step will lock tight on the strap. It won't slip throughout the day.

Now that you mention it, I think you suggested that before. I thought you were just using then zip tie to hold them together. I didn’t realize it made the shock cord adjustable!

Reactions: Allegheny Tom

Allegheny Tom

SH Member
Feb 4, 2018
Western Pennsylvania
Now that you mention it, I think you suggested that before. I thought you were just using then zip tie to hold them together. I didn’t realize it made the shock cord adjustable!
Zip ties on shock cord is an amazing device. I use it for tons of applications. Fishing gear, camping gear, securing stuff in the canoe...dozens of uses.

Reactions: neonomad

neonomad

SH Member
Sep 4, 2019
Zip ties on shock cord is an amazing device. I use it for tons of applications. Fishing gear, camping gear, securing stuff in the canoe...dozens of uses.

I bought releasable zipties a few years ago and I never have less than six hanging from my pack somewhere. Tired of carrying your bow? Zip. Sticks rattling while you walk? Zip. Etc. Then last year I meant to buy some rope to stake trees and it turned out to be shock cord. I accidentally found out how awesome shock cord is.

Red Beard

SH Member
Mar 3, 2019
in my skin

Tom, I'm not familiar with zip ties on shock cord. Could you post a picture?