• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

October 2016 Saddlehunter Group Hunt Ideas

Maustypsu

I have one offer that I can throw out there. Fine for 10-15 guys easy. Can make more than that work.

Our cabin is in Lewis Township of Union County.

It is about 30 minutes from Jersey Shore, PA. or 15 minutes from a place called Rauchtown, PA. The public land we hunt spreads from Union, Clinton and Centre County. We could split up into different sections and cover some sick amount of public land. Hard hunt. Thick laurel and mountains. But there are terrific trail systems throughout to get you to just about every ridge, then you need to find the sign and deer trails. A good GPS, Compass and ways to stay warm and hydrated are all a must. Nice thing is, you really cannot get lost. There is a system of old dirt roads and you are never much more than a mile from one unless you really want to be.

Bald Eagle State Forest has 193,000 acres of public land.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bald_Eagle_State_Forest

And there is more public land than that around.

Hopefully, someone who is hunting there more regularly than me can give us tips for which WMU's will be easiest to get doe tags for.

This year, Saturday October 17th was a planned cabin weekend so I wouldn't take more than one or two guys that weekend. However, anyone close enough wanting to join me for scouting (if we pick a later weekend), you could.

Also, there will be three workdays at the camp between now and then. So anyone wanting to meet me for one of those, I could have a few guys up. Especially, if you don't mind spending a few hours painting or hauling wood. :lol: :lol:

Mausty,

I am interested in that locations for selfish reasons (I live in Selisngrove / hunt in Muncy). I'd be willing to help you out on one of the work days or scouting.
I think the area you're talking about is in 4D and I get tags every year, but am a resident. There are always tags still available for non-residents, but I don't know if all non-residents get tags. From that location I could take a group to a good part of the Tiadaghton State Forest also and it's probably about 40-60 minutes away.

Also open to any other locations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good GPS and map study allow you to zero in on good areas of the state forests. They can be BRUTAL to get through, but I know there are good buck in them and as someone said earlier "any 3.5 y/o you kill in there will be arguably one of the toughest deer to kill."

Ok moving some info over from the other thread: so we have had an AWESOME offer by Mausty, and another suggestion for Allegheny National Forest. Mausty has said that you will really earn any deer you shoot if we go with him. Any better chances if we did Allegheny? The whole state of PA is in play for me so I don't care distance wise. It will be great to have a get together and it would be cool if we could shoot some deer too :cool: Anyone want to throw any other suggestions out there?

Possible weeks for 2016:
October 9-15
October 16-22
October 23-29

I'm open to any of these weeks as well. Probably an advantage to doing that 3rd week is that buck movement will be picking up and coming from out of state it might increase our chances.

It looks like we have quite a few guys interested in this so I think we can make it happen!

I actually had my eyes on a trip to the Wayne National Forest in South East Ohio. The county it's in had one of the highest number of P&Y / B&C and is just over the PA/OH border. Plenty of camp grounds available.

Anyone have experience hunting it?

This hunt sounds cool, but i just remembered im sitting on preference points for iowa and should get drawn in 2016. Unless something happens like not getting drawn, im out guys.

Prill87 said:
I actually had my eyes on a trip to the Wayne National Forest in South East Ohio. The county it's in had one of the highest number of P&Y / B&C and is just over the PA/OH border. Plenty of camp grounds available.

I would be totally open to this. Very close for me and I would love to have a reason to learn Wayne. There is a chance that I could have private land available near that area - but lot's of guys with my hook up hunt south so could be limited space. This year we could have had a cabin site where guys could have brought campers. But that is all by chance. Example: John came down last week. We lost our target property 2-3 days before he got here.

The day before he left they closed on another property near Wayne. 92 acres of ridges and bowls with ag on the back side. BIG buck country.

Everyone is guaranteed tags in Ohio too.

Prill87 said:
Mausty,

I am interested in that locations for selfish reasons (I live in Selisngrove / hunt in Muncy). I'd be willing to help you out on one of the work days or scouting.
I think the area you're talking about is in 4D and I get tags every year, but am a resident. There are always tags still available for non-residents, but I don't know if all non-residents get tags. From that location I could take a group to a good part of the Tiadaghton State Forest also and it's probably about 40-60 minutes away.

Also open to any other locations.

Yes, 4D is part of it. There are other areas but I think the guys are always able to get "D-map" tags. I haven't hunted deer in PA since they changed the tags from counties to the new defined areas. I hunt turkey and fly fish every year. And I hunt bear with them some times as well. Sounds like you can keep us all straight on the regs if we pick PA.

Maustypsu said:
Prill87 said:

I would be totally open to this. Very close for me and I would love to have a reason to learn Wayne. There is a chance that I could have private land available near that area - but lot's of guys with my hook up hunt south so could be limited space. This year we could have had a cabin site where guys could have brought campers. But that is all by chance. Example: John came down last week. We lost our target property 2-3 days before he got here.

The day before he left they closed on another property near Wayne. 92 acres of ridges and bowls with ag on the back side. BIG buck country.

I am also very open to Ohio. For me, the more public land the better :cool: I'm drooling at the thought of Ohio bucks right now! :D

redsquirrel said:
Maustypsu said:
Prill87 said:

I am also very open to Ohio. For me, the more public land the better :cool: I'm drooling at the thought of Ohio bucks right now! :D

I also live 15 min off of I80 in PA, and so road trips to Ohio are also in. I am also chompin at the bit for the chance at an Ohio buck!

Tiadaghton runs thru Union and Clinton county. We hunt parts of it.
That brings us to 400,000 acres of public land within 5-55 mins of our camp. Just depends on how deep down the back roads you want to go.

I am in, I might not hunt. But I would love to at least bring the camera and video hunts and just get to set up and watch others saddle hunt to see how they do things. I wouldn't mind just having a saddle get together some time this spring to talk saddles in person with some guys.

Thanks,
Boswell

Re: RE: Re: October 2016 Saddlehunter Group Hunt Ideas

Boudreaux said:
I am in, I might not hunt. But I would love to at least bring the camera and video hunts and just get to set up and watch others saddle hunt to see how they do things. I wouldn't mind just having a saddle get together some time this spring to talk saddles in person with some guys.

Thanks,
Boswell
That's kind of what I was getting at. I don't know if I'll be able to do a out of state hunting trip with the cost of tags and permits. I just bought a house this year so my budget will be limited while we're fixing the defects.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

We could definitely do a get together too guys just to meet up and talk saddles and such. We could do that sometime in the spring or summer. I understand that not everyone could do a hunt, but I think doing a hunt with a bunch of saddle guys sounds like a blast and I'd like to give that a shot also :cool:

Let's use this thread to keep throwing out any ideas for anything for a bit and then once we get that narrowed down I'll create a thread with a poll to start finalizing what we'll do.

We can do that 'non-hunting" meetup in PA as well.

I go up and hunt that same land in late May. I time it for a week that they stock the nearby trout stream and turkey season is in. If anyone wants to organize a weekend then, we can. Get some early season scouting in, do some fishing and/or turkey hunting and demo some saddle set ups.

Just throwing it out there. Obviously, I don't have 15 weeks vacation so I can't do it all. But if we picked a long weekend in the Spring, I would still have plenty of time.

That sounds like fun. The woods will have already greened up in late May. That makes for less than ideal scouting, but trout and turkey sounds like a win!

Maustypsu said:
We can do that 'non-hunting" meetup in PA as well.

I go up and hunt that same land in late May. I time it for a week that they stock the nearby trout stream and turkey season is in. If anyone wants to organize a weekend then, we can. Get some early season scouting in, do some fishing and/or turkey hunting and demo some saddle set ups.

Just throwing it out there. Obviously, I don't have 15 weeks vacation so I can't do it all. But if we picked a long weekend in the Spring, I would still have plenty of time.

And if you are paying for a license, might as well punch your turkey stamp! I like.

This sounds exciting. I live meeting other hunting nuts, and can never get enough tree time in. It's a but of a drive for me from minnesota, but I am tempted. Scouting would be an issue though from here.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back