• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Off season hog hunting contest

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
Anyone up for an off season Hog hunting contest? I will donate a brand new Badlands sprint pack (approach camo) with tags still on to the winner. (Honor system)
Rules are:
1. Hog has to be killed from a saddle.
2. Free range hogs only (no high fence ranches)
3. Weight trumps tusks. Must show weight on a scale.
4. Must have saddle hanging from pig on the scale in the picture.
5. Meat must not go to waste!

Contest ends August 15th

Reactions: Blacksmith

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
Yeah, but I watch all of these guys post pictures of huge whitetails, where I hunt in Texas the deer are dinkers compared to the northern slobs!

Reactions: Millerclan

SnakeEater

Jan 12, 2020
I’m in, building some heavier high foc arrows that I can hopefully test out on some Louisiana hogs too!

Reactions: gameflogger

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
I would be in, but I'm not weighing one. I clean almost everything where it falls, and have never weighed a deer or hog unless required by law at a check-in station.

Sounds like a blast though. I found some local public that holds them and allows bowhunting year round. :)
[/QUOTE
Pictures are welcome

Reactions: Nutterbuster

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
307# is a stud!!! I always think it is funny when I see pictures of pigs and people say that they weigh 500#. I know that they exist, but what most people call a 300# pig actually weigh about 180#. The scales dont lie. The biggest we have killed on our place was 281#. The next biggest was 273#. We hunt in east TX. My father in law and I usually bet on the weight before we hang them. The Farthest from the actual weight has to clean it!

Reactions: M. Wilson

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
Biggest one killed on our lease weighed 307, and every year we typically kill 2 or 3 in the 250-275 range. The lease that borders ours has snared a few that went between 325-350
Our big ones don’t usually roll in until may or June

Ontariofarmer

SH Member
Dec 25, 2015
I have seen 900 pound domestic boars used in an AI stud. Yes it was weighed. We have almost no wild pigs in Ontario.
I would have to kill one in the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

gameflogger

SH Member
Dec 2, 2014
Texas
I have seen some enormous domestic pigs, but they just dont get that big in the wild.